The SpaceUnique, immaculate, well-equipped and contemporary cabin with old school charm! Welcome to our mountain retreat. The perfect spot for a peaceful vacation with family, a romantic engagement, a festive retreat with friends, or just because you deserve to get away from it all. With easy access from I-80 along a private country road, the Fool's Gold Cabin is just over two hours from the Bay Area. With Sugar Bowl only 35 minutes away, fifty mountain lakes nearby and ten acres to explore around the cabin, there are endless opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors.
[County of Placer Transient Occupancy Registration Certificate #8726]
(4X4 / AWD HIGHLY RECOMMENDED DURING WINTER CONDITIONS)
Situated above the snow line at an elevation of 5,000 feet, there is a beautiful mix of deciduous and evergreen trees and not a neighbor in site. If you're looking for peace and privacy, this is the place for you.
With a large common space inside, two bedrooms and one bathroom, the two-story 1,100 square foot cabin is ideal for a family - or 1-2 couples - to get away and relax! The cabin has contemporary furnishings and every room has charming wood floors that were made of reclaimed bleachers from the San Francisco State University basketball arena (compliments of the Wooden Duck in Berkeley). Enjoy a good book while relaxing on a leather couch with a fire raging in the large, stone fireplace with an old-school Lopi wood-burning insert (firewood provided). With 60GB of music on the iPod provided - or on the device you bring - you can easily rock out to the indoor and outdoor sound system.
There is an upstairs bedroom with a California King bed and a downstairs bedroom with two bunk beds (so, four twin beds). The cabin sleeps 6 most comfortably. Bedding is provided (sheets, towels and extra pillows too). There is also a hi-end, large capacity washer and dryer (with hypo-allegnic settings too!).
The Fool's Gold Cabin has a well-equipped kitchen with plenty of seating - on the deck, or at the hand-crafted dining table (which features a topographical map of the wilderness area surrounding the cabin). There is ample room in the stainless steel refridgerator and pantry for all the groceries you bring. The Sierra Market in Colfax is the nearest full-scale grocery store, but there are also some Mom-and-Pop markets in nearby historic Dutch Flat or in Alta for some of the more basic needs. With the 5-burner, 40" stainless steel stove and oven (including a convection oven), you can prepare a wonderful meal that can be enjoyed on the spacious deck with teak furniture. We also have an outdoor picnic table for year-around seating when the furniture is in winter storage. There are too many appliances to list (microwave, toaster, coffee maker, etc) but the kitchen is well-equipped for most every need. There are even home-made S'more Sticks so you can sit around the campfire at night and enjoy the clear, mountain sky. What's the point of nature if you don't have s'mores?
The Fool's Gold Cabin offers plenty of outdoor activity as well. In addition to the multitude of activities and events that are available in the area, our ten acre back yard has wonderful trails through scenic, private woods. There is plenty of open space for kids to run and play while you enjoy the views from a spacious deck. There is lots of fun for small kids, big kids and adults who want to act like kids.
SOMETIMES, YOU DESERVE YOUR OWN TEN-ACRE MOUNTAIN ESTATE.
If you like to be away from noisy crowds, see the night sky clearly, play in private woods, converse around campfires and dine against the backdrop of the Sierra... the Fool's Gold Cabin is the place for you! Guest AccessDespite the remote location, there is a strong 4G signal for both AT&T and Verizon cellular (other services might be strong too, but these two we know). During the summer months, the Dutch Flat Community Pool is an incredible asset - only ten minutes away. Our other favorite spot is the waterfall near the North Fork Campground (25 minute drive). Interaction with GuestsThis is a secluded location: that is why we purchased the property. It's fun to be so close to all the things that Tahoe National Forest has to offer, yet feel like you are a million miles away. This is a unique location for its proximity to the Bay Area and it's remoteness from worldly cares. You won't see anyone if you don't want to. We're available by phone/text/email if needed, but prefer not to contact guests during their stay so they can focus on enjoying their visit! We have a neighbor in the area too that can help with any immediate concerns. The NeighborhoodThe area around the cabin was the site of the most prolific gold mining activity during the 1800's. It's historic sites offer museums, Malakoff Diggins State Park and charming historical districts of Nevada City and Grass Valley for shopping and antiquing.
The region offers great skiing, hiking, wineries, mountain biking, rafting, kayaking, golf, tennis, sailing, fishing and more. There are cultural / musical festivals all year long at the Nevada County Fairgrounds and during the winter season, Grass Valley hosts Cornish Christmas and Nevada City offers Victorian Christmas festivals. Truckee offers a Brew Fest, Renaissance Faire, Rodeo and other fun events. Getting AroundThe Fool's Gold Cabin is situated at 5,000 feet on a private, country road that is accessible year around. We're conveniently located near scenic, recreational and historic Sierra sites, but you definiltely need a car to explore the area. During the winter season, we strongly recommend that you have chains and/or a four-wheel drive vehicle. Because of our western exposure and elevation, we get a surprisingly large amount of snow and rain. Other Things to NoteOur mission is simple: We strive for you to enjoy our family get-away as much as we do!
You might find the following information valuable in making an informed decision about this property:
* INTERNET: We provide an iPad Guidebook to help you browse things to do in the area. For unrestricted internet access while staying at the Fool's Gold Cabin, we charge $15 per GB pro-rated (we're just passing on the 4G cellular data rate AT&T charges us!). Ask for more details (preferably in advance of your stay). Of course, you shouldn't be uploading, downloading, or viewing anything illegally with the Internet access we provide! :-)
* PHONE: There is not a landline phone. Guests are responsible for their own phone service. Cell phone service connections at the cabin is generally very good.
* PROVISIONS: All linens, towels, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, dishwashing liquid, etc are provided by us in quantities sufficient for a weekend stay. Additional provisions are the responsibility of guest.
* HOME SECURITY: Due to the remote location of the property, we utilize a 24/7 video security system to protect the perimeter of the cabin.
* PETS: We only allow guests to bring one pet per visit. We'll consider additional pets with a nightly fee of $25. We are very pet-friendly, but they do add to the wear-and-tear of the cabin. Due to allergies, we do not allow cats.
* SNOW REMOVAL: The paved road from the freeway to the entry of the property is maintained by the Road Association: snow plowing is done reliably on a "best effort" basis by people who live in the neighborhood year around. Our neighbor clears our driveway for arrival/departure: however, you should be prepared to drive in several inches of snow if needed. It is HIGHLY recommended that you have four wheel drive and chains. This is true of any property in this area! Additional snow-plowing services, during the course of your stay, are available for $95 per hour on an as-requested basis, if available.
* WILDLIFE: We share the mountain with many wild critters. We ask that you be responsible with food and/or trash and be animal-aware when exploring the property.