The SpaceLovely solid timber home with great deck overlooking the garden. A peaceful and tranquil setting in the Tirimoana Reserve with native bush, trees, stream and surrounded by green wooded hills and the sounds of the Bell Birds and Tui's. Located in New Zealand's maritime reserve "The Marlborough Sounds" in Tirimoana & Anakiwa, at the end of the Queen Charlotte Sound and just 10 minutes walk away from The Queen Charlotte Track. This is one of the most beautiful areas in one of the most beautiful countries in the world! We are sure you will enjoy the scenery & the natural feel of the accommodation. The house is 100 meters from the sea.
You will have your own private space/unit comprising of:
- 2 Bedrooms (bedding and towels are provided).
- Guest lounge & dining area
- Toilet & Bathroom
- Kitchenette with 2 hob, microwave, oven, fridge (limited space)
You can also use the BBQ on the deck where there is an outside dining area. There is free coffee, teas, cookies, WiFi internet, DVD's, books, & tourist info/leaflets. (Please see below under 'Guest Access' for more info).
The host lives in the front part of the house in a separate area with a separate entrance.
Highly recommended local activities are: Walking - especially 'The Queen Charlotte Track' just 10 minutes walk away by foot - one of the most famous New Zealand walking tracks (72km long). There is an easy-going foreshore track along the bay, mountain biking, kayaking, swimming, wind- or kite-surfing, paragliding or … best of all - come sail the Sounds with Marcel!
An amazing variety of bird species are here all year round especially the Tui and Bellbirds with their beautiful and distinct bird song which you can hear from our garden. There are often Spoonbills, oyster catchers, herons and black swans in the bay and we sometimes see Dusky dolphins and seals in the bay too. There are usually eagle rays in the bay throughout the summer. Watch out before you dive in! We even had a humpback whale, pilot whales and Orca’s in the bay over the last few years. But they are very rare.
Fishing & diving is very good in the outer Sounds and one of the best in New Zealand and obviously snorkeling is pretty good too. There are glow-worms only 300 meters away from the house. These are good to go see during a night walk - I can show you.
THINGS TO DO:
- I can take you sailing (weather permitted) in my sailing boat which is moored here in the bay. We usually sail to 'Lochmara Lodge' in Lochmara Bay (see photo) - a small scenic waterfront resort in The Marlborough Sounds with lovely views and a great arty cafe and grounds to enjoy a coffee or drink and maybe have a swim there and meet 'Banjo' the talking parrot!
- There is swimming in the sea here near the accommodation or from the Anakiwa jetty.
- Windsurfing and kite-surfing in the bay in front of the house is excellent (depending on the sea-breeze).
- Kayaking is great to do here - The local tour company "Sea Kayak Adventures" (15 mins walk from here) rents out kayaks and mountain bikes and does organized trips from Anakiwa and other local destinations.
- Have a coffee or ice cream at the "Green Caravan Cafe" next to the 'Outward Bound' school (about 10 minutes walk along the foreshore) and watch the daily water taxi's arrive at the Anakiwa jetty to pick up the tourists that come off the Queen Charlotte Track. It’s such an amazing good holiday spot!
- Fishing, boating, water skiing and snorkeling is all great.
- There are several good walking tracks in the neighborhood in addition to The Queen Charlotte Track - The 'Cullen Loop' track is a nice scenic 1 hour walk with views over Havelock and The Sounds (about 20 mins drive away). The “Waikakaho/Cullen Creek Walkway” near Linkwater (10 mins drive away) is the old gold-miner’s track that runs through some spectacular landscapes.
- There is a para-gliding take-off from the hill behind the house that I regularly fliy from. You are welcome to walk up the hill with me to see the amazing view or learn about the basics of para-gliding by having some ground control exercises (weather permitted).
- The harbor city PICTON (30 minutes drive) is always nice for a day trip with sea view cafés, restaurants, pubs, marina, gift shops, museum, aquarium, cinema, pharmacy, i-site and some good walking tracks. 'The Snout' walking track in Picton is very scenic with excellent views of the Marlborough Sounds. Picton is also the home of 'The Edwin Fox Maritime Centre' where you can see and learn about the history of the world's second oldest surviving merchant sailing ship - 'The Edwin Fox.'
- The coastal village of HAVELOCK (20 minutes drive) has a nice restaurant called "The Mussel Pot" famous and well recommended for its green lip mussels. Havelock calls itself the "mussel capital of the world". There is a marina where you'll find the pleasant waterfront cafe/restaurant 'The Slip Inn' which serves good local food. Havelock is also home to 'The Pelorus Mail Boat' which is a great way to explore the Marlborough Sounds and the 'Greenshell Mussel Cruise' to learn more about the Havelock mussel farms and enjoy freshly steamed mussels with a glass of Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc. There is a museum here, pharmacy, a few shops, cafes, pub and an i-site.
- LINKWATER (10 mins drive) has a pub and petrol/gas station where you can also buy basic grocery items.
- The province main city BLENHEIM is about 50km away. The main tourist attraction there are the numerous and famous wineries and vineyards and the Makana chocolate factory & shop.
- Port Underwood has a spectacular coast-line with amazing beautiful sandy beaches. Some of these are good for surfing. Just “(SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN)” Ocean-bay, Robinhood-bay or the famous and most beautiful Whitesbay near Rarangi. All just about an hour drive away from here.
- And than there is the Pelorus-Bridge Reserve, (40 mins drive away and on route to Nelson). Scenes of the movie “THE HOBBIT” were shot here. Great place to go for walks along the river and across the swing-bridge.
In fact, there are so many things to do here. Ask any New Zealander about the Marlborough Sounds … they will tell you that they just love it and they come here for their holiday.
That says it all! Guest AccessThis is a fully self contained and private guest area attached to the hosts' house with a separate entrance for a total of 5 people (or if you come with up to 6, there is a possibility of an extra single mattress, but space is limited).
The accommodation includes:
One bedroom with a queen bed, wardrobe, heater, bedside lamps and a sliding door with access to a private deck & seating. A second bedroom with a bunk bed to sleep up to 3 people (double at the bottom and single at the top) with bedside lamps, wardrobe, heater, table top/work surface with chair and a DVD player. Bedding and towels are provided. The bedrooms are located next door to each other. There is a private guest lounge and dining area with DVD player & DVD's (no TV) books, games, tourist info & leaflets, tea and coffee making facilities, a guest kitchenette with an electric hob/cooktop with 2 hotplates, microwave, small oven & grill, toaster and fridge, guest toilet & bathroom including toiletries.The gas BBQ on the deck is also available to use where there is a lovely outside seating & dining area overlooking the garden, Tirimoana reserve, stream and wooded hills. Free WiFi internet and free coffee, teas & cookies. There is also a baby/toddler's high chair if required. Laundry facilities are also available.
The host, Marcel, lives in the front part of the house in a separate area with a separate entrance. Interaction with GuestsI like to give our guests space and privacy and let you have a peaceful and relaxing stay here but we are also happy to chat and give travel tips and local information.
Come sailing with me, or I can help organize kayaking, mountain biking, walks and other local activities. The NeighborhoodThe village is a great mix of a small friendly community surrounded by mountains and native bush, right at the sea of the Queen Charlotte Sound.
A boat ramp is only 200 meters away (usable at high tide only) and a boat ramp 1 km away usable all tides (depending on the size of your boat/trailer). We are located directly on the "TE ARAROA" - New Zealand's Trail, a continuous 3,000 km walking track all the way from Cape Reinga in the north to Bluff in the south.
You can see the ferry to the North Island arriving in the city of PICTON, which is about 15km away, from the foreshore in front of the house.
The world famous Queen Charlotte Track and the “OUTWARD BOUND” is a 10 minute walk from here.
There are i-Sites located at Havelock (20 mins drive) and Picton (30 mins dive). Getting AroundIt is handy to have your own car to get around.
Road access from the main towns of: Picton - 30 minutes drive, Havelock - 20 minutes, Blenheim - 1 hour, Nelson - 90 minutes, Kaikoura - 2.5 hours, Christchurch - 5.5 hours.
Water taxi or float plane is available from Picton - how cool would that be to land with a water plane in the bay in front of the accommodation!
There are daily rides on the post-bus between Picton, Havelock & Blenheim.
The local tour company "Sea kayak adventures" rents out kayaks and mountain bikes and does organized trips starting from Anakiwa, which is 15 minutes walk from here.
Come along sailing on my boat (weather permitted). Other Things to NoteThere is parking space for cars and boat trailers in front of the accommodation. There is a boat ramp only 200 meter from here (usable at high tide only) and a boat ramp 1 km away usable all tides (depending on the size of your boat/trailer).