The SpaceTo most Sri Lankans a visit to Anuradhapura is a pilgrimage - inspiring but crowded. To most visitors to Sri Lanka it is a magic place - inspiring but crowded. Nobody comes to Anuradhapura without visiting the ‘ancient city’ with a surfeit of incredible stupas and exquisite stone carvings. But to really experience Anuradhapura is to discover its well hidden tranquil spaces, which led us to return as often as possible for endless exploration and inspiration.
Back of Beyond - Water’s Edge Bungalow is one of those well hidden tranquil places, just a few minutes’ drive from the famous ancient sites. On the shores of the Tissawewa lake, set in a large tree-filled garden, the elegantly simple bungalow reflects the serenity of three great ancient stupas across the water, which can be seen day and night.
Water’s Edge was designed and cared for as a family holiday home, and is now open to you with all its serenity and comfort. The elegant open plan bungalow has 3 rooms for a maximum of 8 adults. The large rooms are tastefully furnished and have spacious attached bathrooms with hot water showers.
The airy lounge with the living and dining area opens out to the 2 acre garden full of indigenous trees, and a small paddy field which we cultivate if the rain gods cooperate. The garden rolls down to the Tissawewa lake overlooking the ancient stupas of Ruwanweli, Jetawanaramaya and Mirisawetiya. Enjoy this breath-taking view from the open veranda. As the day ends and darkness takes over, the stupas gently remain, glowing in a delicate light that keeps them with us throughout the night. For those who rise early, the magic continues - to sit quietly on the steps of the veranda, watch the dawn breaking, listen to the birds sounds and hear the distant echo of temple drums…no words, only experience!
Our friendly staff includes a house-keeper and cook, and delicious home-made Sri Lankan and western meals will be served in the dining area.
It is possible to book the entire bungalow, as well as separate rooms. Separate driver’s quarters are available at a nominal rate. Guest AccessGuests have access to the public areas of the bungalow and the large garden with a lovely view of stupas across the water. Interaction with GuestsI am based in Colombo most of the time but that is no problem at all, because you will be looked after well by our fantastic staff. The NeighborhoodActivities and excursions:
- Over a thousand years of civilization gives you an endless supply of monastic ruins. All the major sites of the ancient city Anuradhapura are very easily accessible from the Water’s Edge Bungalow. But we would like to make some suggestions for exploring the ‘quiet spots’ that we so enjoy.
- A few minutes out of the bungalow gate and along the red earth village road brings you to the bund of the Tissaweva, one of the great irrigation lakes of the ancient city. The walk or bike ride along the bund at dawn or dusk with the Stupas across the water, birds and village life around, is a treat in itself.
- Strung along the base of the lake bund are the mystic monastic caves of Vessagiriya, Isurumuniya so famous for its ‘lovers’, and magical royal garden of Ranmasu Uyana. To explore these sites at your own pace by foot is an experience not easily forgotten. Move further along the lake and you walk directly into the heart of the ‘ancient city’ with its towering Stupas.
- If you are a birder, the Jaya Ganga and Yodha Ela flowing behind the bungalow offer excellent sightings. Over 80 species of birds have been sighted along the water and the garden of the Bungalow. With over 60 species of trees the compound itself is a haven for birds.
- For day trips out of town, the Bungalow is 45 minutes from ancient Mihintale, the wildlife reserve Wilpattu National Park and the little visited ruins of Hasthakutchchi. Driving a little further, you reach Tantrimale with its rock carved statues. Getting Around- Approximately 4 hour drive from Colombo on 210 km of excellent highway
- There are also train and bus services to Anuradhapura city
- The bungalow is a mere 10 minutes from the city and ancient sites. Tuk tuks and vans can be hired easily.