The SpaceOur house is a true eco-home, made entirely of natural materials, including strawbale, stone, bush milled hardwood timber and clay/sand render. This makes the space completely non toxic - a rare thing in today's world! The space is entirely off the grid, with solar power, rain, spring and dam water, a compost toilet and an onsite waste water system. We have a 100 acre property that spans from a beautiful creek down in the valley, to the top (and beyond) of a small mountain. Our house sits near the top of this mountain, on a cleared flat section, overlooking the massive mountain ranges of TWO World Heritage National Parks in one of Australia's most beautiful and touristed areas. (The parks are Mount Warning/Wollumbin and the Border Ranges). The views from our decks are amazing and we have "outdoor living spaces" to maximise their enjoyment and from which to soak up the astounding sunrise and sunset. We have access to a walking trail that goes right across the top of our valley's ridge, an outdoor bath, 2 inside fireplaces and 2 outside fire pits, your choice of 2 creeks or river to swim in (LOTS of water holes...) and most importantly - hammocks! Our property is 50 minutes from Gold Coast airport, 15 minutes to the nearest village Uki (which is alive with arts activities), 30 minutes to Nimbin (heart of hippie culture), 1 hour to Byron Bay (it's a beautiful drive) and 1 hour to the heart of the Gold Coast. COME HERE IF YOU WANT A BREAK FROM THE HUSTLE AND BUSTLE AND WANT TO SOAK UP THE BEAUTY AND QUIET OF Northern NSW PARADISE.
PLEASE NOTE: # We have listed at a reduced price because our house is not 100% completed. It is beautiful and functional but there are still a few things that we need to finish. The work needing to be done is minor touches, all major structural work is done. The concise list is as follows:
- A window ledge and a small corner in the bathroom still need tiling
- The hallway has not been painted
- The doors to the master bedroom still need to be painted
- A space outside one of the verandahs still has building materials piled there eg bricks, timber, building sand.
- Two doors still need their architraves put on
- There are a few cornices left to do.
- The toilet area still needs tiling and painting and it's just not that pretty really... (but it's fully functional!)
- The back landing, which gives access to the toilet, has not had decking boards laid down yet. It is covered with strong building boards. They are safe - they're just not that pretty either.
We are working on this stuff and subtracting from this list all the time. If you can live with these things and generally focus on the absolute beauty of the property and area.... then... welcome!
Some Special Features of the House: (apart from the views)
- Our bathroom has an entire "opening wall" which looks out onto a large span of the mountain range of the Border Ranges World Heritage National Park. This is where the sun sets each day. Sooo... just before sunset, run the bath, get your wine, champagne etc, settle back and enjoy!
- Numerous very amazing local swimming holes, including a rainforest gully one, which has crisply cool spring water that comes straight from the side of Mount Warning World Heritage National Park.
- A 6 metre long fully equipped chef's/catering (John used to be a wholefoods chef...)
- A 24 metre long verandah! To make the most of the mountain views and the outdoor oriented balmy sub-tropical living.
- 4 fireplaces. One is a wood burning heater and another is a wood fired oven (which makes amazing pizzas) We also have two outdoor fire areas (not for use during fire hazard times). We will supply firewood :)
- Large, spacious and airy open plan living space
- High ceilings (3.4 metres at the front of the house)
- A huge king size latex (very comfy and entirely natural) mattress and handmade bed frame, all in a huge king size (6m by 4m) double bedroom.
- The space is free from gadgets and electronics (including wifi, though we have Internet), helping to enhance the sense of retreat, seclusion and privacy
- It is super insulated as our strawbale walls are 1 metre thick. We also have R6 "earth wool" in the ceiling and verandahs around the whole house. What this means is that the house will be a comfortable temperature in summer and winter.
- A large cleared, slashed and mown area in front of the house, which is great for kids (and adults!) to roam around on.
- We have a ridge-top walking trail that goes for hours... (a track down to the creek is coming!) Guest AccessThe whole house and the entire 100 acre property, including the ridge-top walking trail (it is a Government fire access road which traverses the entire ridge top) , vegie patch, verandahs, fire pits, swimming hole, outdoor living spaces etc. There are also numerous swimming holes in the area just around our property which can be accessed. Interaction with GuestsWe will meet you at the beginning of your stay and if needed we can meet you at the end and be available during your stay. The NeighborhoodPristine World Heritage Wilderness!
Our little valley has the highest conservation status in the whole of the Tweed Shire and a large amount of funding has been directed to rehabilitation works along the creek. The valley is a wildlife corridor between all the National Parks surrounding it. Getting AroundYou will need a car. Other Things to Note- You will not be able to get mobile reception down in the valley, on our road. Up at our house you will be able to get reception in our toilet (sorry about that!) or out on our western lawn IF you have Telstra. If you don't have Telstra and really need a phone during your stay, we can leave one of our phones for you.
- Our home is 100% solar powered and off the grid. It has a basic power capacity. You will not be able to use appliances such as hairdryers, pizza makers, electric blankets etc. The washing machine and vacuum cleaner can only be used on sunny days.
- The home is supplied by rain, spring and dam water. Please only drink the spring water from the water cooler provided. Use the tap water only for cooking and washing.
- We have a compost toilet! You will need to use one scoop of sawdust per visit.
- Our driveway is over 1 kilometre long, has 5 creek crossings (they only run when it's raining...) and winds up the side of our little mountain. If you have a 2wd vehicle, it's best not to take it up (though people do). We will transfer you up the hill in our "family 4wd" and then leave our "farm 4wd" with you for the duration of your stay. John will show you where to park your car securely just inside our driveway entrance and also where to leave our car.
- The closest supermarket is in Murwillumbah. There is an IGA on the outskirts of town and there is a big Coles inside a mall in the township. If you need fresh food we would recommend getting some from the Uki supermarket, as they have a lot of beautiful fresh local produce and it 's not that expensive. If you drink wine etc, there is a bottlemart in the mall where the Coles is and there is also one in the Uki pub.