The Space708 square foot cottage featuring a large loft with direct view of the mill and covered bridge. New Amish-made elm bedroom suite, dining room pub table, small couch, coffee table, glider and tables. We offer Cable, Netflix and Hulu on the 47" Smart TV, dvd player. Instructions available to sync your I-phone so you can enjoy music. Record player with lots of old albums from the 70's! Gas free-standing stove used to heat the cottage and kitchen with Keurig coffee maker, refridgerator and electric cooking stove. All cooking equipment is provided in case you want to cook and eat in. Air conditioned and gas heat.
You will have 24 access to the cottage so you can come and go as you please. Guest AccessThe entire cottage is yours to enjoy! You may also enjoy the gazebo in the front yard. We offer a hot breakfast on weekends. We provide bread for toast or english muffins, cereal, eggs and bacon for you to prepare on your own on weekdays. Coffee is available 24/7! Please let us know any special needs for breakfast. Interaction with GuestsWe will accomodate your desired level of privacy. We are also more than happy to give you a tour of the main home and share its history. We've just received the results of the dendrochronological study - our home was built in 1847! We will be happy to show you the primitive structure and logs holding up the house in the cellar (some still with bark on them!). The sandstone used to build the cellar are much like the stones supporting Rock Mill. The NeighborhoodThe cottage is directly across the street from the historical Rock Mill, a grist mill originally built in 1799 and rebuilt in 1824 after a flood destroyed the original mill. The mill and the covered bidge are now owned by the Fairfield County Historical Parks and will soon be fully operational as a grist mill churning out corn meal (end of October 2016)! According to the Fairfield County Historical Park website, "Rock Mill Park encompasses the historic Rock Mill, a stunning grist mill built in 1824 above the Hocking River Falls and the scenic Rock Mill Covered Bridge, constructed in 1901. Standing 90 feet above the gorge of the falls, Rock Mill stands as a testament to the rich agricultural heritage of Fairfield County, whose “fair fields" attracted so many brave pioneers in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. In the early 1800s Rock Mill was one of a dozen mills in the area whose power source was the Hocking River. The mill was in operation grinding flour and corn into wheat and meal as late at 1905."
It is truly stunning! Getting AroundWe are conveniently located close to several wonderful destinations including:
We are central to Athens, Columbus, Chillicothe and Hocking Hills.
Rockmill Brewery (200 yards from the cottage),(URL HIDDEN) a small production brewery located on a former horse farm. The brewery also hosts private parties and weddings. The brewery is open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Lithopolis, (8 minute drive)
* a quaint town with antique stores and a wonderful coffee shop
Canal Winchester, (14 minute drive)
* home of two wineries and a unique downtown area with restaurants, one of the two wineries and antique stores. A new brewery will soon be open in Canal too!
* Slate Run Living Historical Farm - a gothic revival style farmhouse that was built in 1856 and restored by Amish carpenters. Volunteers prepare meals, work the land as it would have been done in the late 1800s.
Lancaster, a small city with large history!
* Lancaster was founded in 1800 by Colonel Ebenezer Zane (Zane Trace). General William T. Sherman, famous Civil War General, was born in Lancaster, as was his equally famous brother, John Sherman, U.S. Senator, Secretary of the Treasury, Secretary of State, and father of the Sherman AntiTrust Act. More information on Lancaster is available in the cottage.
Pickerington, Ohio -
* Visit the Motorcycle Hall of Fame or get pampered at many of the city's spas.
* Visit antique and re-purpose furniture stores in Old Pickerington.
Hocking Hills State Park, (39 minute drive)
* a 2,356-acre park featuring towering cliffs, waterfalls and deep hemlock-shaded gorges.
Chillicothe, (51 minute drive)
* home of the world-reknowned “Tecumseh!" Outdoor Drama.
Columbus Zoo and Aquarium (56 minute drive),
* the number 1 zoo in the nation.
Columbus (city of) (35 minute drive),
* Columbus Art Museum
* Short North
* German Village
* The Book Loft
Many wineries in the area too. We have a list of places to visit including museums, restaurants, parks and antique stores. Other Things to NoteWe also offer massage by a Licensed Massage Therapist (LMT) and a seasonal dessert.
We have three outdoor friendly cats.
Although we state that the cottage will accommodate only 2 adults, we also have a new queen sized air mattress so 2 additional adults may stay.