The SpaceHome (interior and exterior) - cedar wood planks. Comfortable, cozy, clean home of 1260 square feet - 3BR and 1.5 BA. Recently remodeled throughout, including near full renovation of upstairs bathroom with deep soak tub and rain shower.
The kitchen is fully stocked with everything you need to cook and bake, including dishes, cookware, and cooking staples such as spices, olive oil, flour, sugar, coffee, tea, etc.
Bed linens, towels, shampoo and conditioner, iron and hairdryer are all provided.
There is a washer/dryer for your use.
Outside there is a nice sized deck with lounge chairs (green cushions are stored either under stairs or in downstairs BR closet).
New bluestone patio is being installed with fire pit at lower part of yard by the woods. Will be completed and ready for use by guests as of December 1, 2016. Couple of main patio/fire pit safety and general rules:
1. Do not burn excessive amounts of wood at one time (no bonfires); this can cause safety issue if pit overheats and can make bluestones too hot and explode
2. No splitting of wood on patio or fire pit (can crack, break stone).
3. Do not place burning or blackened wood on patio or fire pit rim (can cause permanent burn marks on stone)
4. Do not place burning, coated, blacked wood into the woods (can cause brush and forest fire if leaves, grass, brush catch fire). Breaking any of these rules can cause damage to patio or woods and guests would be held responsible for damages - costs. Guest AccessAccess to entire home - all bedrooms, closet space to hang clothes and some dresser space as well. Guest access to entire yard within stone walls - you can also hike on city/state Forever Wild land across the road from our home (you will see signs). Guest access to our patio and fire pit area and the use of wood for fire pit. Wood for wood stove in house is supplied inside the home on circular firewood holder. Interaction with GuestsWe are available at any time to email or speak on the phone. We love nature and the northern part of the Catskills, small quaint villages, farms - farm stands, fresh vegetables, fruit, honey, meat, cheese, milk, eggs. We can send your our favorite list of places to visit (towns, festivals, farms), including places to get fresh farm food. The NeighborhoodThe area is a beautiful mix of Catskill woods, mountains, streams, winding roads, farms, fields, and small quaint towns where you will see little to no chain stores, but rather locally owned and run stores, cafes, shops, restaurants. The closest towns to the house are Fleischmanns, Arkville and Margaretville (10 minutes away) where you can find a supermarket, a CVS pharmacy gas station, as well as very nice dining, bars, and shopping options.
The house is 10-15 minutes away from Belleayre Ski Resort, which offers plenty of activities year round. Many people enjoy hiking, swimming, biking, fishing in the beautiful Catskills.
20 minutes from the house is Plattekill Mountain where you can ski in the winter and in the summer - bike, chair lift and geo-chache (a form of treasure hunting).
If you like golf, Hanah Resort is a very nice 18-hole golf course, one of the nicest in the area and is only 10 minutes away from the house.
For farm fresh food: Head down route 3 off of Fleischmanns to the Crystal Valley Farm for some of the best milk of the county. Pakatakan Farmer's Market in Halcottsville on Saturdays and Sundays has a bevy of local farmer's fruit, vegetables, meat and other. We can and will recommend some other great farms for you to stop by and purchase local farm stand honey, cheese, milk, beef, eggs, maple syrup.
For site seeing easier than hiking up mountains :), go to nearby Arkville and get on aboard the Delaware and Ulster Railroad! It is great to see the fall foilage scenery of the Catskills from the vantage point of a train route.
Before of after your dinner plans either at home or outside, consider stopping by the Union Grove Distillery (in Arkville) and check out their home distilled apple and wheat vodka and original drinks. The Zephyr in Pine Hill also has great cocktails and amazing food. Check out the Pine Hill Community Center for weekly activities in the day for kids or adults, and some occasional awesome local music, talent, entertainment.
Outside of the most local Margaretville, Arkville and Fleishchmanns, other nearby towns that are fun to explore are Roxbury, Andes, Bovina, and Phoenicia.
Other local points of interest:
- Arvkille village has a very new Gym, Swimming Pool which can be used through guest pass of $10 per day
- Fine Dining Restaurants short driving distances away in Pine Hill (The Zephyr) and Big Indian (Peekamoose).
** We send all guests a guest home and area booklet (a few days to week before you stay) with other suggestions for local restaurants, farm stands, etcetera. Getting AroundBest to drive in your own or rental car. Other options include:
1) If from NYC, take MetroNorth up to Poughkepsie and then rent car from Enterprise or other
2) Take Adirondak Trailways from Port Authority to Fleischmanns. Only recommend this for those who are meeting their friends at our home and have car to pick you up (home is approximately 10 minute drive from Fleischmanns) Other Things to NoteIf you are looking for privacy within nature, you have found the place. We are very close to the end of a dead end road. The town maintained road is has very few homes towards the end (large private parcels of land, woods, including Forever Wild land is adjacent to our property). One can only see one other home from one of our 2nd floor bedrooms (barely seen through some trees and across a large open field @ 500 yards away).
We do not have wifi internet or cable tv service for the home, but are located towards top of moderate mountain which does receive good consistent cell phone service and cell phone internet service (through Verizon at least). In one of the bedroom's there is a television and dvd player (with a binder of children and adult movies); there is also an old fashioned video store in Margaretville which carries new releases (located under the Crazy River Cafe; it is called Now and Then Video).