The SpaceWelcome to Sylvan Edge!
Designed as Philadelphia real-estate magnate Joseph J. Greenberg's private residence, "Sylvan Edge" is the definition of old world elegance and charm. This extremely rare and stately 8,000 square foot 28 room Georgian Revival mansion is filled with ornate detailing and craftsmanship unavailable in today's modern estate homes.
Having been recognized by Architectural Digest and the University of Pennsylvania for its superior design and craftsmanship, this is the place you only read about and see in historical publications. However now, it is being offered to you as your own private luxury estate.
As you ascend through the wrought iron gates, up the Belgian block driveway, the formal entrance whisks you off to another time, fashioned with the best materials and resources that money could buy. True craftsmen have their trades on display at every turn.
The formal entry way has marble floors and entices all to stop in their tracks and just take in the splendor of this spectacular estate. To the right, there is a large, formal living room that boasts a custom marble fireplace surround, high ceilings, a French neo-classical interior and a grand French empire chandelier.
The formal living room opens up to a spacious sun-room, marked by travertine flooring, plenty of sun-light through the French doors, marble Lunette fountain and a fun, entertaining deck area with views of the grounds.
As you retreat to the South Wing, the master retreat encapsulates 6 rooms with separate his and her dressing rooms and a spacious Master bedroom with original fresco's and fireplace.
There is also a second floor veranda off the master suite to enjoy the serene views overlooking the in-ground pool and reflecting pond. The perfect place to relax and enjoy your morning coffee.
- Prepare a wonderful meal in the brilliantly appointed Professional Chef's Gourmet Kitchen with its spanning counter space, high-end Viking appliances, and large statuary quartz kitchen island.
- Stretch out and relax in the tufted leather club chairs and deep seated sofas in the wood paneled Library, and watch a film on the large flat-screen television.
- Explore the sights and sounds of historic Philadelphia, take a stroll in the picturesque Elkins Park, or have a leisurely lunch in your secluded walled garden, after taking a dip in your private Pool.
These features, plus many more, make this meticulously renovated and impeccably kept luxury estate home an ideal location for friends and family alike to create the memories that will last a lifetime.
Welcome to Luxury. Welcome to Sylvan Edge! Guest AccessGuests have full access to this entire living space plus the expansive yard and off-street parking. Make yourself at home. Interaction with GuestsSince this listing is for the entire home, I will meet you upon check in/out only. I will, however, be available and pleased to assist you with questions and needs that may arise during the course of your stay.
There is a separate one bedroom apartment on the property grounds that is occupied by the estates Property Manager, so please don't hesitate to let us know if you need help with anything or if something isn't working correctly. We are here to help.
I also offer a shopping assistant for a small cost if you and your guest would like to arrive to a home/fridge stocked with your items! (Please ask about it if you are interested) The NeighborhoodElkins Park is one of the most picturesque suburbs of Philadelphia!
Just one block from the house, you'll find restaurants, coffee shops, a new Co-op Farmers Market as well as beautiful parks.
The folks in the neighborhood are very friendly. There is a good mix of residents who have been in this area for generations as well as young families.
Elkins Park is a safe neighborhood. Feel free to take a stroll and enjoy the area! Getting AroundElkins Park is right off of Old York Road (611) and just a few minutes from the 309 expressway and the 276 Turnpike.
The Elkins Park Train Station is 1 block from the house. You can take the SEPTA Train to downtown Center City Philadelphia in 20 minutes.
If you are flying in, you can take the SEPTA Train to the Elkins Park Train Station and easily walk to the house. One transfer is required. The cost is about $10 total including both trains.
Cabs to/from the airport are usually a flat fee around $50. Cabs to downtown Philadelphia usually run about $25 depending on the time of day. You can call a Uber/cab from the house and it will usually arrive in 5 minutes or less.
The private driveway can easily hold 4+ cars. Other Things to Note- Currently there are 2 Bedrooms (Master Suite and Princess Suite) that are furnished with King sized beds. There are 4 additional Guest Bedrooms that are furnished with tall Queen sized air mattresses and linens which are available for extra guests.
- The Pool is not heated and will be closed from approximately October - May. There is no swimming allowed during that time frame. The Pool will be closed with a cover. Do not remove the cover.
- When the pool is open from June - September, there is no lifeguard, so swim at your own risk. Be careful and use the pool and property at your own risk. (Insurance company is requiring me to say that).
- There is also a shallow Reflecting Pond on the property, with gold fish and frogs. There is no swimming and no wading allowed in the Reflecting Pond. Just enjoy the serene view (the fish and frogs are very friendly).
- Rates and minimum stays are subject to change during holidays and special events.
- Early check in/late check out can be accommodated. If you wish to extend your stay, please inquire about the additional cost.