The Space"CURRARONG UTSIKT" Utsikt is the Swedish word for an outlook & from the first floor level there are expansive distant views & ocean glimpses, northward over the village & along Currarong Bight towards Sydney & further westward towards the escarpment & the Southern Highlands beyond.
Currarong is a true birdwatcher/nature-lover's paradise .... & as the block backs onto pristine native forest at rear, wildlife is commonplace.....from grey kangaroos on the front lawn at night & early mornings to feeding Kookaburras, Lorikeets & Bower Birds on the front balcony by day.
The property is the north facing two storey home in a block of two. The entry door is along the western side (on right) with dedicated off street parking on the concrete driveway to the eastern side (on left). The rear property 36B, is rented separately & faces southward into the forest with entry along the eastern side (on left).
This modern comfortably appointed two story home was built in 2007 replacing the original derelict fisherman's cottage on site.
Designed by Swedish architect with specially engineered raked ceilings, internally free of supports to maximise light & space, this unique property is styled & appointed in a manner to ensure your next holiday is as relaxed & care free as possible. Guest AccessGENERAL:
- sorry, this is a Smoke-Free residence & for guest safety hard wired smoke detectors are installed throughout.
- pet & allergy free.
- reverse cycle air-conditioning throughout for optimal all year round comfort.
- functional, enviro friendly, passive solar design; with highlight windows down both sides for natural light & ventilation.
- clean & uncluttered decor, tastefully furnished with quality new & antique furniture.
- insect screens to all windows & sliding doors.
ARRIVALS / DEPARTURE:
CHECK OUT is hr 10.00 STRICT / CHECK IN is hr 15.00.
UPSTAIRS - polished timber floors; comfortable & hygienic:
Designed solar passively; is positioned to capture the warmth of winter's sun but shaded to exclude summer's heat by capturing cooling breezes, the upper level is floored in local hardwood timbers & flooded with natural light from full width highlight windows along both sides. Devoted entirely to an open plan kitchen, dining & living, the building's ceiling is cleverly engineered to follow within the roof line, thus creating a cavernous raked ceiling totally free of internal supports, subtly increasing height & space within. Accessed through full glass sliding doors, the all weather entertaining deck has distant views & ocean glimpses, northwards up the coastline, over the village of Currarong. Fully roofed for all-weather usage, this elevated deck is furnished with a slatted sun bench, Weber gas BBQ & long slatted table with folding chairs to comfortably seat 8.
- full width across rear wall; well appointed with modern appliances incl: glass cooktop, under bench oven, dishwasher, fridge/freezer, microwave, etc.
- above & below bench cupboards fully stocked with crockery, glassware, cutlery, picnic basket, etc. for 8 persons.
- stick blender, mix master, hand whisk, spatulas, etc. etc.
- on-bench: electric kettle, coffee grinder, coffee plunger, tea plunger.
- full height pantry with GF electric grill/sandwich press, saucepans, casserole dishes, baking trays, baking paper, foil, plastic wrap, baking paper, cake forms, rolling pin, etc.
GUEST'S WORK BENCH/DRAWER UNIT - with generous drawer storage, is kept vacant for guest's exclusive use:
- 2 banks of 3 drawers; durable, easy clean work top surface, furnished atop with microwave, timber cutting board, coffee & tea facilities (refer Kitchen Provisions following)
* KITCHEN PROVISIONS - complimentary:
- real coffee beans, black/green tea bags.
- olive oil, white & red wine vinegar, sugar, cooking salt, salt & black pepper (in grinders).
- large & medium sized oven bags for easy clean-free use in oven; cling wrap, baking paper, etc.
KITCHEN CLEANING SUPPLIES - in cupboard under sink:
- complimentarily stocked with eco friendly, allergy-free cleaning products; machine dishwasher powder, dishwashing liquid, QV hand-wash liquid, dishwashing brushes, sponges, insect spray, etc.
BROOM CUPBOARD - pantry door on far left:
- tea towels, oven mitts, etc.
- dustpan, mop, vacuum cleaner, steam iron, portable table-top ironing board,
APPLIANCE CUPBOARD: (2nd door from left):
- saucepans, electric grill/sandwich press, casseroles, etc, etc
- fire extinguisher & fire blanket is located beside refrigerator.
- hard wired smoke detectors throughout.
- large oak extension dining table with 6 ladder backed dining chairs (additional folding chairs supplied).
- large square antique coffee table.
- pair 3 seater lounges.
- 2 easy chairs.
- open bookshelf / entertainment shelves running along upstairs side wall with books & magazines (admittedly, mostly of architecture & gardening).
- flat screen television with HDMI cable.
- Free Wi Fi (NBN still not available in Currarong, so connection can be slow & often intermittent, especially during peak periods & holiday season).
DOWNSTAIRS - polished concrete floors; cool & hygienic.
BATHROOM & extra WC:
- modern with toilet, shower, basin & mirrored cupboards - natural light & ventilation from highlight windows above.
- additional separate WC with toilet & hand basin is located in hallway between both bedrooms.
- complimentarily stocked with eco friendly, allergy-free QV hand wash, QV shower wash, shampoo & toilet products.
- open plan laundry with deep s/steel sink, front load washer & dryer.
- complimentarily stocked with eco friendly, allergy-free washing machine liquid & cleaning products.
Two bedrooms both with modern, comfortable queen sized beds, benchtop work desks with hanging above.
*The master bedroom is a generous double sized room containing an additional queen sized sofa bed.
Bedroom opens through full glass sliding doors onto a covered concrete patio, a great place to relax whilst looking onto the vegetable, herb & rose garden protected by a trellis & waist height sandstone privacy wall.
Queen sized doonas, cotton cell blankets & pillows are included for each of the three beds.
Bagged sheet & towel sets are located in linen cupboard (if required); comprising: queen sized fitted bottom sheet, top sheet, 4 pillow cases, plus 2 bath & 2 hand towels.
OUTSIDE - HERB & ROSE GARDEN:
The front & sides of this property are planted with citrus trees, olive trees, fragrant roses & between with a variety of culinary herbs like rosemary, sage, lemon thyme, Italian parsley, oregano, chilli, basil, chives, chicory, arugula, etc., You are welcome to pick flowers for your stay & fresh herbs for cooking but please be careful of rose thorns (or ask the owner/gardener to collect for you)
EASY ACCESS TO OCEAN & SHOPS:
It's only a few minutes walk (via laneway diagonally opposite) to the water's edge & Zac's Cafe Restaurant General Store & Take Away for groceries, meals, newspaper or just an early morning espresso Interaction with GuestsYour hosts are normally in residence in the rear property, 'Currarong Vila', & should you encounter a problem, require assistance or just have a question, please do not hesitate to contact us. The NeighborhoodCURRARONG is a sun-drenched beachside village nestled securely in the lee of the Beecroft Peninsular, protected from southerly winds allowing for pleasant swimming all year round - yes, even in winter......the locals can often be heard saying...."the sun always shines over Currarong"
Originally a small fishing village, is divided by a tidal creek & surrounded by pristine waters, long sandy beaches, sheltered coves and inlets. A sleepy little place for most of the year, Currarong becomes a vibrant holiday hub during summer and Easter breaks.
Gorgeous sunsets, fantastic views & a myriad of bird & animal life make Currarong a truly memorable place to visit.
With hanging swamps, ancient banksias, hidden forests, aboriginal caves & middens, tidal creeks, estuaries, soaring vertical cliffs, rocky headlands, etc. surrounded by the Jervis Bay Marine Park, Currarong's topography is so special & varied as to provide habitat for flora & fauna of important biological significance - all connected by various easy walking trails. Not to forget of course, some of the most beautiful sand, rock & bay beaches to be found anywhere in the world.
Currarong's geography is additionally special in that the village & several of it's closest beaches unusually face back towards the west over the open ocean (as if on an island) providing spectacular 'over the water' sunsets - otherwise not possible on the Australian east coast.
Humpback Whales visit the region annually during the migration seasons of June/July when they are heading north to calve & again in October/November when cows seek the safety of Currarong's bays to nurse & rest their new season calves on their return south to the Antarctic.
There are plenty of fantastic vantage points from which to view the whales, with the very best often right in front of Currarong Village (sometimes so close as to see their large grey eyes looking curiously back).
Whale numbers have risen substantially in the past few years making this area a premier whale watching spot. Watch out for seabirds, sea eagles, seals, dolphins & penguins all year round. Currarong truly is a photographers paradise !
Abraham Bosom Beach is a sheltered beach perfect for young children & great for snorkelling. There are also several modern gas BBQ's just behind the beach at the car park.
15 minutes walk further on into the Beecroft Peninsular reserve will take you to the unspoiled oasis of Honeysuckle Point or Lobster Rock. Both sheltered beaches are great for snorkelling, fishing & during quieter times, provide you with your own private little hideaway.
Cycle, jog or take a leisurely stroll through the bush tracks to the impressive cliffs, rock formations and fantastic views at Gosangs Tunnel, Mermaid’s Inlet & the Beecroft Headland. Great vantage points to see the Humpback Whales as they migrate North and South. Other whale species can also been seen from these vantage points.
Warrain Beach, a classic long surf beach is just 400 m walk away, is north facing & offers great surfing, kayaking & paddle boarding (hireable during holiday season).
One can snorkel any of the many small rocky headlands protruding from the beaches & even snorkel the wreck of the Merimbula or Plutus, both close to the shore.
Dolphins frequent all these areas, often cruising & feeding close in.
There is excellent fishing from all beaches & rocks surrounding Currarong & several ramps to launch a boat.
Great spots for scuba diving as well.
There are 2 playgrounds for young children, the one at Dolphin Point across from the shop, affording fantastic views of Warrain Beach and looking as far out as Culburra & Mt Coolangatta beyond.
Zac’s café/restaurant offers local seafood & oysters, most caught fresh on the day.
Evening bookings are recommended during peak holiday times.
Zac’s also provide take away meals, a general store & bottle shop.
The local Bowling Club is open 7 days & serves Chinese & Australian food as an alternative.
The Progress Hall has Bingo 2 or 3 nights a week during peak holiday times & is otherwise available for private hire, very reasonably for your special occasion.
The local tennis courts, basketball court, skate park & 2nd children's playground are just 100 m behind the general store, opposite the boat ramp.
The local craft shop is open several days a week for browsing. Getting AroundOf course, you will need a car to reach currarong unless you are happy to take the school bus from Nowra or Bomaderry railway station (from Sydney) but once in Currarong, every thing to do & everywhere to visit is easily reached by walking. Other Things to NoteYou will require a passcode to open the 24 hr accessible key lock to access your security entry key. Such passcode will be sent to you by SMS approx 2 days prior to your arrival. Should you not receive such by then please do not hesitate to contact me, so I can resend.
Beds are not pre-made as some guests prefer to supply their own bedding & bath towels. However, should you require, bed linen & bath towel packages are freshly laundered & bundled, ready for your immediate use & all conveniently located in the linen cupboard within bedroom 1.
Free Wi-Fi is provided, however please be reminded that we are in the country & NBN is still unavailable, so service can be slow or intermittent.
Username & password are labelled beneath the modem/router which sits on the bench top beside the television.
A gas BBQ is located on the top balcony & a large single gas bottle is supplied. An additional gas bottle is available upon request for longer rental periods. If using the BBQ, we request that you scrape clean the grill after each use with provided tools to prevent fat & grease build-ups, thus reducing the likelihood of fire caused by flare-ups. Please leave all in a generally clean condition - as found.
This is an Eco friendly & Allergy Aware property & for occupants convenience & wellbeing, is stocked & cleaned with Eco Friendly & Allergy Sensitive products only.
Accordingly pets, unfortunately are not allowed.