The SpaceThe Farm:
Our family farm is just 5 minutes west of High River, AB. We are a mixed farm, approximately 2000 acres, with grain crops, cattle, horses and a few dogs. Our farm was built by the legendary rancher, Pat Burns, who also owned the Bar U Ranch (national heritage site). The farm has been in our family since 1946.
The cabin was the original blacksmith shop on the farm. We have recently renovated it into an open studio space with a queen sized bed and one pull-out couch, bathroom with a shower, sitting area, fireplace and kitchen table. Kitchen includes full size fridge, sink and oven/stove. Guest AccessPlease enjoy our farm while you're here but please respect that we are a working farm and our livestock are our livelihood. Keep dogs on a leash at all times. We have very photogenic Highland cattle and horses. We also have a small pond stocked with Rainbow Trout that you are welcome to fish (catch & release). Interaction with GuestsWe live and work on the farm so we are available to help you during your stay with any questions but happy to leave you to relax on your own as well. The NeighborhoodThere are many unique, local attractions including Head- Smashed- In Buffalo Jump (First Nations interpretive centre), Eau Clair Distillery and the Longview Steakhouse. We have a list of recommendations for places to visit and eat as well as nearby hikes in the Rocky Mountains. Getting AroundIt is best to have a car to enjoy the local sites! Other Things to NoteDirections to the farm from Calgary:
1. Take highway 2 south out of Calgary.
2. Exit off at Exit #197. If you pass High River, you’ve gone too far.
3. After you exit off, head west, and go straight through a set of lights that would take you into High River, right past the High River Rodeo Grounds.
4. At this point, you’re on highway 543, aka Tongue Creek Rd, heading west towards Longview.
5. Just a couple miles after the Rodeo Grounds, turn north onto 48 St EAST (it’s the first right hand turn you can take). Starts out a paved road and turns to gravel.
7. 48 St EAST will take you down to the bottom of the coulee.
8. At the bottom of the coulee you go over a small creek (Tongue Creek) and our farm is just after the bridge on the right-hand side. There is a sign at the end of the lane that says MacKillop’s.
6. Come to the second house that is yellow (behind the trees).
Call if you need any help with the directions!
Renee’s cell: ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)
Nancy's cell: ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN)