The SpaceJust 7 kilometers outside of Ooty town, this property is close to all the major tourist highlights but is secluded and remote at the same time. Away from the hustle and bustle of Ooty town, Bilberry Cottage is a serene and peaceful retreat, overlooking tea estates, wild forest and mountain ridges. Guest AccessGuest are welcome to walk through the gardens and explore the property. Hiking trails through forest and tea estates crisscross the land around Bilberry Cottage. A short walk through the forest brings you to a lovely playground for children at a government tea estate called the Tea Park. This is a new government tourist spot, and as yet is not too crowded or well known. A great place for the view, park benches and a 1 kilometer concrete path loop for hiking. Interaction with GuestsHosts live in the main house near the cottage and will help with settling in and are available to answer any questions. Hosts work in Ooty town, so are generally not present during the working day. House staff work between 9:30am and 4:30pm, and can also offer assistance when needed, and we encourage you to tip them. Guest should be fairly self-reliant and independent, since hosts will not necessarily be around for your arrival or departure. The NeighborhoodWe live in the wilderness, completely secluded with no other houses around. At the end of our drive, along a main road is a small village where the local tea-pickers reside. You can catch a glimpse of this village from the balcony of the cottage. There is a dry goods shop in Buttercombai, which has rice, sugar, tea, lentils, onions and eggs. For greater variety be sure to shop for food in Ooty town before arriving at Stumpfields. I'll have salt, pepper, tea, coffee, biscuits, cumin, chili powder, coriander, and turmeric powder and oil. So, if you are planning to cook, please bring your fresh veggies and or meat and fruit. Since we live at the top of the mountain, we have a freshwater well, and you can drink straight from the tap, no boiling needed, so don't plan on buying water. Since Ooty is 7 km from Bilberry Cottage, its best to buy your food in the market in Ooty before arriving at the cottage. Getting AroundThere are government busses that stop every half hour at the Tea Park on the Kotaghiri Rd, a short walk through the woods from our house. This is a very cheap way to get to town and back. Just Rs. 10 each way. To return, go to the bus stop on the Kotaghiri Rd next to the petrol bunk near Charing Cross. Of course you can take rickshaws from Charing Cross to Bilberry Cottage as well. It costs Rs. 250 to go one way to Tea Park, then walk your way through the woods to Bilberry Cottage. Two wheelers can make it up our drive, as can cars.
Otherwise, be prepared for a short, but exhilarating hike. Other Things to Note1. The property has a steep, long, unpaved drive that leads to the main house and cottage. The drive is rocky and narrow. However all cars can drive all the way up to the cottage if you go slowly and carefully! You can drive up to the cottage and unload your things, but please park down by the horse barn.
2. If you need help with your things, and arrive between 9:30 am and 4:30 pm then our house help can assist you! If you want the cottage cleaned during your time, let us know. We ask that you be generous towards our staff for that any extra help you require, and tip accordingly.
3. This property is not suitable for people who have trouble walking on uneven surfaces, or climbing stairs. It is not the ideal location for elderly folks, unless they are very fit and energetic. The whole property is on a 45 degree slope, so almost everything is either up or down!
4. Wild bison and other animals frequent the area around the cottage outside of the boundaries of Stumpfields. If you are lucky you may get to see one or even a whole herd.
5. We have 1 Labrador Retriever and a puppy. These are watch dogs that will bark at newcomers, but are friendly. They love to go for walks, so if you hike, you are welcome to take them along for company! Please remember our dogs are not tied up and are allowed to roam around the property freely. If you are afraid of dogs, this may not be the right place for you to spend your vacation. Our puppy gets excited and likes to jump up and greet people.
6. We do not have any facilities for a driver on the property, no outside toilet and washroom, no extra bed. Our place is not set up to host drivers.
7. We have a wood stove to keep you warm at night. We can light the fire at 4:30 for you or you can do it yourself. We do not provide kerosene, just wood, matches and some paper. We supply one box full of wood free per night. If you want more firewood, we do charge Rs.300 per box.