After traveling over 70 countries with my wife, opening an hostel was a goal : three rooms on an independant floor, with a park and a river as direct neighbors, all supermarkets, restaurants really close too, advice for free in a country that looks expensive for many. Welcome home! You can use the shared kitchen with all cooking tools, fridge, toilets, showers, aircons in dormitary and private single room. Lounge with Dvd, movies, guitar, some fitness and massage machines. You can do a laundry @200¥, use bicycles for FREE. Barbecue set is also to use for free, if you get some charcoal. We feel in the center but without the stress, noise, and pollution, you can see the towers of Umeda over the river, airplanes in the sky. Take a bicycle to go downtown in about 20 min, one of the biggest shopping area in Asia, with new buildings growing every year, tons of restaurants, bars, clubs, and come back home enjoy the park which is really lovely, the river which has birds in the winter you can feed. You can also do a day trip in Kansai and come back, the Hankyu line is convenient. We love Mikuni so much because there's everything. The closest station is Mikuni, on Hankyu Takarazuka line. 阪急電車宝塚線
FROM UMEDA HANKYU Take a LOCAL train either for 'Takarazuka' or 'Hibarigaoka' on the platform 4, 5 or 6( often from 5), it takes 7 min ( 3 stations ), plus walking distance 6 min to our house. Express trains do NOT stop at Mikuni. Umeda - Mikuni, 7 min, JPY 180
FROM KANSAI AIRPORT ( in order of what we recommend )
- The airport limousine bus 5 to Shin Hankyu Hotel, then walk to Hankyu Umeda. We recommend this bus which is direct and where you can seat comfortably. Airport to Umeda, 60 min, JPY1500 + Umeda - Mikuni, 7 min, JPY 180
- Nankai train to Namba ( Express ), then change to subway Midosuji Line to Shin Osaka, or Higashi Mikuni, if you want to walk and save the Hankyu connection, or to Umeda if you want to change to Hankyu train.
Airport - Namba Nankai, 48 min, with change in Izumisano, where you can get the express ( 急行 ), JPY 890 ( if you add JPY 500 for the rapid train, it takes 37 min ). Namba - Shin Osaka, 15 min, JPY 270 Namba - Umeda JPY, 7 min, JPY 230 Namba - Higashi Mikuni, 16 min, JPY 270
- the JR line ( Japan railway, Shinkansen, JR pass ) Take JR Airport Express to Shin-Osaka from where you can come by feet till home if you don't mind a 40 minutes walk. Or change for the subway Midosuji line, till Higashi Mikuni, (one stop) then it s a shorter 25 min walk. One other possible and easy option is to go to JR Osaka station, and walk to Hankyu Umeda station.
Airport - Shin Osaka, with change in Hineno, 60 min, JPY 1320 Airport - Osaka station ( Rapid ), 68 min, JPY 1160 Shin Osaka - Higashi Mikuni, 2 min, JPY 200 Umeda - Mikuni, 7 min, JPY 180
For walk we recommend you to study a good map, and make your itinerary, if you don't want to get lost and waste time. The Nissey building can be a good point to aim from Shin Osaka, or the Mikuni Arcade shopping street from Higashi Mikuni. Taking a taxi from these both stations, if you have big luggage, will cost around JPY1000. Of course when we will meet, it will be a pleasure to walk together and teach you the easy directions you need around Mikuni area.
FROM KOBE AIRPORT - with JR, port Liner to JR Sannomiya, 18 min, JPY 320, JR Sannomiya to JR Osaka, 20 min, JPY 390, Hankyu Umeda - Mikuni, 7 min, JPY 180. - Take the Port Liner to Hankyu Sannomiya, 18 min, JPY 320, then the Hankyu Kobe line with one change in Juso, 31 min, JPY 310
For your sightseeing days, you can remember :
TO KYOTO - HANKYU KAWARAMACHI, with one change in Juso, 48 min, JPY 390 - with JR, first go to JR Osaka, from Hankyu, Mikuni - Umeda, 7 min, JPY 180, then JR Osaka - JR Kyoto, 29 min, JPY 540
TO KOBE - Hankyu Mikuni - Hankyu Sannomiya, Kobe 31 min, with one change in Juso, JPY 310 - with JR, first go to JR Osaka, from Hankyu, Mikuni - Umeda, 7 min, JPY 180, then JR Osaka to JR Sannomiya, 20 min, JPY 390
TO MINO - Hankyu Mikuni - Mino, 29 min, with change in Ishibashi, JPY 220
TO TAKARAZUKA - Hankyu Mikuni - Takarazuka, 36 min, direct, but you can change to the express train in Toyonaka station, or Juso, JPY 270
- first Hankyu Mikuni - Umeda, 7 min, JPY 180, then subway Midosuji line Umeda -Namba, 7 min, JPY 230, then Kintetsu Namba - kintetsu Nara, 47 min, JPY 540 - with JR, first Hankyu Mikuni - Umeda, 7 min, JPY 180, walk to JR Isaka station, JR Osaka - JR Nara, 50 min, JPY 780.
TO KOYA SAN
- First go from Hankyu Mikuni to Umeda, 7 min, JPY 180, then subway Midosuji line, Umeda - Namba, 7 min, JPY 230, Namba Nankai - Koya san Nankai, with change in Hashimototo ( depends on the train, ask Koya san direction first ), and change in Gokurakubashi for the cable, 103 min, JPY 1230
Always be careful of the first and last train schedule ! Usually start around 5am till midnight. Be careful that some trains charge reserved or express seat fees. Also there are usually near main train stations some "ticket stores" where you can buy single one way at discount prices, depending on the day of week, the station, and the store too. For example, on weekend the Hankyu Mikuni - Kyoto Kawaramachi can be bought at JPY 300 instead of JPY 390. These stores are not always easy to find, so we will give you the good advice.