The SpaceWe live in a lovely house near to University of Canterbury. Robert and myself are your hosts. From time to time we have other travellers staying with us too.
Everyone in the house will be advised and aware of when you're coming to stay. We share common area; living room, kitchen, dining room, etc.
The house has a lovely backyard, nice quiet neighbourhood. Our household are friendly and multi-cultural.
Please note that this rate is only for the room; food and cooking ingredient not included.
Non-smoking. No pets.
If you have your own car, there are plenty of no limit time parking spaces on our quiet street, we only ask that you respect our neighbours too.
Area we live in: We live in a suburb calls Ilam (ai-lum), in Christchurch. We're 19 minutes or less on foot from a bus stop on the route to airport at one end and 10 minutes or less on foot the City Central Bus Station at the other.
What exactly you will be sleeping on: A single size bed with good mattress, fresh linen and plenty of warm bedding. Heated wheat bags or hot water bottles are available for you to use during your stay.
Sleeping area and privacy: You will be in a bedroom which has two single beds. Overnight the room is quiet. We are a peaceful flat. Both bathroom and toilet are separate, so you can change in the bedroom or bathroom for privacy. The room is advertise for one person per bed the room has two beds, however, if you wish to have an extra person with you please discuss PRIOR TO BOOKING. If you are travelling with a child, a child is counted as 1 guest.
Internet: Our place has wifi, and we'll offer you moderate use of that for your tablet/netbook/phone or other wifi capable device.
Socialising: If we are not already overwhelmed by our daily life events; -- You are very welcome to join in any of these event --
- Latin dancing friendly parties,
- Walking in an interesting original New Zealand native bush (forest),
- Buddhist meditation together,
- Ukulele Jam, etc.
- We sometimes share meals, foods and desserts -- could be fruits and other sweets. You are welcome to contribute vegetables, fruits, or your recipe -- vegetarian dish is an ideal, or desserts making technique.
- You may be asked to help with a small house chore e.g. wipe the dining table, especially on weekends.
New Zealand mobile number: If your first point of entry to New Zealand is Christchurch it is understandable that you may not have an NZ mobile number. There's airport wifi and Spark and Vodafone store in Christchurch Airport. If you missed those but for the sake of breeze communication please make sure you find a place to purchase an NZ SIM card as soon as possible.
Metro Info Website: You can check your Christchurch public bus route and fairs. If you are going to be in Christchurch for a month or so, I strongly recommend you to get MetroCard, the site can tell you why and where to get it. Cash bus fare from/to Christchurch Airport (one-way) is $8.50 per person, MetroCard is $2.55. Travelling to elsewhere in the city is $4.00 in cash with one free transfer within two hours using your ticket receipt.
- Super Shuttle: Door to door service from and to Airport If you have to go to the airport at an awkward time, they can pick you up but give them plenty of notice in advance. $23.00 per person or $28 for two.
- Taxi: Carbon Zero Taxi -- First Direct, they are the friendliest and most economical taxi company I have been using since I first came to Christchurch over ten years ago. Their services standard is second to none. Roughly $25 - $30.
- Riccarton Bush and Saturday Organic Produce market
- The Botanical Gardens & Hagley Park
- Canterbury Museum
- Air force Museum
- Various one day tramping and scenic route
- Jellie Park - Swimming Pool, Gym.
Nearby supermarkets and stores
- New World (closest)
- Asian supermarkets
- Bush Inn Mall
- Westfield Riccarton Mall
Weather forecast - Christchurch
- New Zealand weather changes often, to help you plan your trip. Check out MetService website. Guest AccessAll guests have access to kitchen, bathroom and toilet. Speak with me or Robert if you feel like watching something from our movie collections, on your own viewing device -- tablet, laptop, etc. On a nice day, a public park is a minute walk away. There's a play ground for children, cricket field and a basketball hoop. Interaction with GuestsWe work during the day, most of the time from home. We have our office in the living room. However, we would like to help you when we are not busy or on a phone.
If you are interested in meditation practice or fun social Latin dancing, or organic produce Saturday outdoor farmers' market. Please join us when you are free. The NeighborhoodIt is a quiet and peaceful neighbourhood. There is a large public park just one minute walk. It's also close to schools and University; less than 15 minutes walk if you are a fast walker. :) Perhaps about the same amount of time to get to the nearest supermarket. Getting AroundPublic transport in Christchurch is good. You can get one bus from here straight to New Brighton Beach or Sumner Beach, City Centre or Airport. Bus fare using cash is $4.00 per person (When you pay by cash, you are entitled to one free transfer within two hours using your ticket receipt.)
We are less than 15 minutes walk to a bus stop to get to Central City, 20-30 minutes walk to various shops and restaurants.
If you have a car we can give you some information of attractions around this area.
Or we can lent you a bike, Pimmy's old faithful bike has been with her since the very first few months of her arrival in New Zealand, is still in good working condition :) However, you will have to promise us that you will treat it like your own, hence if you break it, has tyre punctured you will have it repairs before returning it. Other Things to NoteWe have hot water bottles or heatable wheat bags available for you to use while you are staying with us either on a cold day or simply because you'd like it.
We have a diesel fireplace in the living, please leave it to Robert or me to light it.