The SpaceThe 2 stages Residence "Au Paradis des Canaris" is a charming ecological residence in Dakar. This quiet and secure property is conveniently located near “Sacré Coeur Collège".
Our flowery rooftop terrace is the preferred place to rest, not only for our tenants, but for the neighbourhood birds as well! It's an oasis of calm, with fresh and clean air. Wifi is available up here, too, so you can surf the internet at the same time you enjoy the sun and the singing birds.
This residence CONTRIBUTES TO SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT in two different ways: (1) By showing that it is possible to live comfortably while using much less water and electricity, and (2) it gives environmentally-conscious travellers the opportunity to ACT, by opting for eco-housing during their stay in Dakar.
This is why the residence is particularly popular -and often inhabited- by Officers of the UNITED NATIONS. (The location of this property is ideal for people who work in the "Les Almadies" neighbourhood, which is only 15 minutes from the property because of little traffic in the morning and in the evening).
The air-conditioned and fully-furnished 180 m² apart has 5 rooms, including a living room, dining room, kitchen, two bedrooms, which each a double bed (a single bed can be added) . There are three bathrooms. There is also a balcony terrace.
The property utilizes SOLAR PANELS in place of a generator for short-term power outages.
REMARKS CONCERNING THE AMENITIES
* Kitchen: dishwashing liquid is NOT provided
* The ESSENTIALS:
- Towels + pillow cases and bedsheets are provided and replaced once a week
- Toilet soap: tenant will be provided with a small bar of soap in each bathroom at the beginning of the stay. The purchase of additional soap will be the responsibility of the tenant
- Toilet paper: tenant will receive a roll of toilet paper for each bathroom. The purchase of additional toilet paper will be the responsibility of the tenant.
* WIFI: The property offers free Internet Wi-Fi service (through Sonatel)
* Cable TV: the unit has a flat screen TV with decoder that includes 100 channels, both local and international.
* Smoking Allowed on the balcony terrace but NOT inside the apart
* Washer / dryer: the property does not have a washer nor dryer, however excellent and cheap laundry service is available at the tenant’s expense. Guest AccessThe flowery rooftop terrace with his breath-taking city views is the preferred place to rest, not only for our tenants, but for the neighbourhood birds as well! It’s an oasis of calm, with fresh and clean air. Wifi is available up here, too, so you can write your emails and surf the internet, and at the same time you enjoy the sun and the singing birds Interaction with GuestsMarie-Louise and her husband can be visited at any time. Marie-Louise and her husband can be visited at any time. It is also a tradition that they invite their long-term tenants for a farewell meal. The Neighborhood* Within a few minutes’ walk there are several good restaurants with fair prices
* for sports fans, there are two hectares of lawn, well maintained by the caretakers of “Collège Sacré Coeur”
* The residence is near the Ocean: a pleasant walk of only 20 minutes will get you to Bay of Mermoz, a great place at the edge of the Ocean where sand and the water are clean. Swimming in the Ocean, year around, fantastic! Getting Around* Taxi services are only a one-minute walk from the property.
* a good bus stop needs a 10 minutes walk (at the Bourguiba Avenue).
There you can take the Bus N° 10, N°12, N°20, N°23. They all bring you to the centre of Dakar ("Dakar Plateau").
Tenants may temporarily park a car in front of the residence for loading and unloading. For longer term parking, however, there is a secure car park 50 meters from the property.
* AIRPORT ARRIVALS/DEPARTURES
We provide a personalized and secure welcome at the airport, both day and night, at a fair price. We utilize the services of a trusted local taxi driver (who speaks very good French and Wolof), Mr. Mamadou Sall. We strongly advise you to take advantage of this service. The ride from the airport to the residence is approximately 15 minutes.
Upon request, we can contact Mr. Sall and inform him of the date and time of your arrival. His prices: up to 4 p.m.: 7.50 euros (5,000 FCFA) // from 4 p.m. to 11 p.m.: 10 euros (6,500 FCFA) // after 11 p.m.: 12 euro (8,000 FCFA).
On your day of departure, Mr. Sall can also return you to the airport. PRICE: 5 euros (3,250 FCFA).
Mr. Sall is also an excellent tour guide and his services are available for both driving tours and walking tours in Dakar. Other Things to NotePLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING NOTES (ESPECIALLY N° 4 AND N° 5):
1) CANACLA: The residence "Au Paradis des Canaris" is the home of the “Canacla,” an ingenious and environmentally-friendly handwashing device that uses very little water (only 100 ml). They are located in multiple places on the property, including several in your residence.
2) WATER FILTER: A water filter has been installed, as it is not advisable to drink tap water without filtering. Tap water is poured into the upper compartment of the filter. In this compartment are two filter cartridges that allow water molecules, but not germs, to pass through: the water in the lower compartment is drinking water of high quality and free of microbes. Additionally, the water is oxygenated as it drops into the lower compartment and therefore tastes better (unlike boiled water that has a bland taste, precisely because during the boiling process the oxygen is dissipated).
The water filter avoids the need to purchase bottled water. Purchasing bottled water has three major disadvantages: (1) No filling date is listed, therefore it is impossible to know how long the plastic water bottles were stored...often IN THE SUN!, before reaching the consumer (2) the high cost: 100 times more than the filtered water (3) In Dakar, empty bottles are not recycled and have become a terrible environmental problem
3) ECOLOGICAL- ENGINEERDS WC TOILET
All bathrooms are equipped with an ecologically-engineered WC toilet. This change, simple and efficient, saves tens of liters of water per day. Many tenants take photos and, once back home, mimic the system
4) A DEPOSIT OF 30 EURO is requested.
To encourage tenants to remember to return the keys at the end of the lease, a deposit of 30 euros is requested. This sum is returned when the keys are returned at the end of the stay
5) THE CHARGES ARE NOT INCLUDID IN THE RENT
It’s a lot easier to adopt an eco-minded mentality and avoid the waste of gas, water and electricity if the ecological stimulus is accompanied by an economic stimulus. Thus, the consumption of gas, water and electricity are NOT included in the rent and the tenant is responsible for paying these charges.
Utilities are priced as follows:
-Gas: 600 CFA francs per kg
-Water: 1,500 FCFA per m³ (= 1,000 liters)
-Electricity: 250 FCFA per KWh
In order to determine usage, each accommodation has his own water meter and an electricity meter.
At the beginning of the guest’s stay, the tenant pays a DEPOSIT to cover future water and electricity consumption. The deposit is 5,000 FCFA (40,000 FCFA if the tenant decides to use also the RED air conditioning as well as the ventilators).
After one week, a second advance is paid. The amount of the second instalment is based on the length of rental as well as consumption during the first week.
At the end of the rental, the final tally is done. If the tenant has consumed less than expected (which is great!), the tenant will be refunded the difference. If the tenant has used more than the amount of the deposit, the tenant is responsible to pay the difference.
SOLAR ENERGY: In case of failure of the electrical grid, the basic operation of the unit (light, Internet, low-energy fan) is made possible by solar energy. The price for this service is 50 FCFA per hour.
GENSET: In case of prolonged power outage (which has never happened!), the backup generator may be used to ensure the functioning of fridges. Tenants will be required to contribute to the purchase of generator fuel. (The generator consumes 1 liter of diesel fuel per hour)
6) RED AIR CONDITIONING (SPLIT AIR CONDITIONER)
Split air conditioners are available in the apartment: the two bedrooms are fitted with air conditioners.
However, most of our tenants use the GREEN AIR CONDITIONING (ceiling fans/fans) and choose to avoid the use of the split air conditioner. They do so for 2 reasons:
- avoid health problems related to air-conditioning units (such as respiratory infections, due to the fact that air from the AC unit is not only very dry but also RECYCLED (> has a high concentration of microbes).
- on environmental grounds: the AC uses a colossal amount of energy
7) GENERAL CLEANING
Every day (except Sundays and public holidays), our trusted service technician cleans the apartment (but not to do the dishes or to clean the stove).
8) BEDDING IS CHANGES ONCE A WEEK
9) PERSONAL LAUNDRY can be washed, dried and ironed. This cleaning service is of high quality and the prices are very affordable.
10) POSTAL SERVICE
The residence has a mail box, which guests are free to use.
The following address has to be mentioned on the envelope:
Sacré- Coeur Pyrotechnique N° (PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN) DAKAR