The SpaceIn 2012 we met and fall in love with this aged-old traditional bamboo/earth house, and started to renovate it a home of ourselves and travelers wandering around the world. Quite different from most hostel in downtown Hualien, it is nostalgia, atmospheric and laid-back.
Built for over 70 years. What In_n is a traditional house made of wood, bamboo, clay and rice stems. We renovate it by ourselves and our friends good at various kinds of handicraft—wood sculpture, pottery, masonry, tie-dye and so on. Every piece of decoration in our place is creative and one-of-the-kind. It is vivid but calm and relaxed. You will experience a fusion of nostalgia, free-artistry and contemporary comfort when you stay here.
Centrally located in a quiet lane of downtown Hualien, What In_n is only a 1-15 minute walk from major attractions, tasty food stalls/restaurants and featuring shops. The well-known Ziqiang Night Market, Nanbin costal park and night market, Pine Garden, Tzu Chi Meditation Center, and beautiful No. 11 Costal Way are also a short ride away. We provide a real escape from busy tourist traps but sit very close to the authentic soul of downtown Hualien. You will find it an oasis in the midst of the city where the song of birds and frogs can still be heard.
Hualien is famous for its historical features, as well as the beautiful ocean and wild nature scenery. Should you love to feel the charm of nostalgic bamboo/earth house, experience the genuine local life, while enjoy the featuring foods and shopping, and easily access to the beautiful Pacific Ocean, What in_in is the very best place for you.
* Tie-dye DIY: By reservation, you can join our 2-hour DIY program to make your own tie-dye fabric, scarf or clothe. The fee is TWD$300 including a piece of fabric. You can buy more fabric from us or bring your own cloths/fabric to tie-dye.
* Our place is suitable for long-term residents. We offer weekly and monthly rental program for traveler like to have a long-stay in this charming and laid-back place.
Our Extra Features >
- Free wifi access everywhere in the hostel.
- Free and clean pillowcase and bed linens
- Cozy living room with various books for soul in Chinese/English. You can read, listening to music or simply enjoy and relax
- Two bathrooms with free shower gel, shampoo, hairdryer and hot shower any time. (Please prepare your own towels and Toothbrush)
- Self-service bar with free hot/cold water, tea bags, grounded coffee and coffee maker.
- Full-equipped kitchen with stoves, oven, refrigerator and dinning table.
- Comfortable back yard.
- Free map with local insight.
- Watsons and 24-hr convenience/grocery stores nearby.
- 24-hr laundry store nearby, convenient, cheap and fast.
- Night-time food stalls nearby.
What In_n is a small, charming and home-stay style hostel. To prepare a relaxed home for travelers, we leave a large space for common area (living room, kitchen, backyard…), and there are only 3 rooms for 8~10 travelers, all rooms are compact, comfortable and featured our unique style:
1. Room 1: Comfortable three~four-guest Japanese style dorm with big windows. Shared bathrooms in the common area.
2. Room 2: Comfortable three~four-guest dorm featuring a designer bunk and a queen size bed. The unique bunk is adapted from the traditional Japanese style closet, if you are familiar with the Japan manga series “DORAEMON” (an intelligent robotic cat), that is where DORAEMON sleeps. There are curtains between the bunk and queen bed. Shared bathrooms in the common area.
3. Room3: Comfortable queen-size bed on the Japanese style wood floor, shared bathrooms in the common area.
Notice for Reservation >
1. The hostel is renovated from an old-time traditional wooden/earthen house, all rooms are partitioned off by wood planks and with opened transom windows to keep airy, so the sound is not well isolated. Please do not make reservation if you do not feel comfortable about it.
2. We provide clean environment, pillowcase and bed linens when you check in. House keeping and replacement of pillowcase and bed linens during your stay is self-serviced. Extra TWD$300 fee/per room will be charged if you need replacement service from us.
3. Please keep locked and pay attention to your belongings. It is your own responsibility to take care of your belongings.
4. Full payment is due in cash (TWD only) upon check-in. Credit cards and debit cards are not accepted
5. Check-in time: 3pm-10pm / Check-out time: 11am
6. Free late check-in after 10:00pm. But be sure to inform us for late check-in, otherwise your rooms/beds will be canceled and re-opened after 10:00pm on the day of arrival.
Location and Directions >
Address: No. 7, Lane 61, Shin Gang Street, Hualien, Taiwan 97047
We are right in the heart of downtown center of Hualien, where bars, restaurants and featuring shops locate.
You can reach our accommodation by taxi, bus or on foot from Hualien train station. it is about 25-min walk or 10-min ride. The fee is about TWD100~125 by taxi.