The SpaceCalifornia Wine Country! Our beautiful Cottage sits on its own acreage just fifteen minutes outside the historic town of Sonoma in the beautiful Valley of the Moon (Sonoma Valley, California).
We have room to sleep six. There are two bedrooms. One has a king-sized bed and the other has a queen-sized bed. The king-bedroom has its own private deck, and you can walk from that deck around the back of the house past the back gardens and hillside to the main back deck, where there is a large hot tub. The queen-bedroom is a former sunroom surrounded by windows that look out onto the hillside - very peaceful and sunny. In addition, we have a queen-sized futon that is comfortable for two adults and can be used in the living room or in the ante-room to the king-sized bedroom. The sheets for all of the beds are cotton and the beds all have great comforters, blankets and pillows. Please let us know if you are traveling with small children and we will have a port-a-crib and highchair ready for you.
On the back deck there is a table for dining al fresco, and a great hot tub overlooking Winter Creek and our private hillside. There are trees for shade in the summer and the creek is flowing in the winter.
There is one bathroom with marble-tiled shower and lots of light.
There is a wood-burning stove in the living room, as well as a baby grand piano and an ipod cradle, plus a huge picture window of the Sonoma Valley. There is also fast internet access, a flat screen TV with cable and on demand, and all of the other usual amenities of civilization. So, you can take your pick from a completely wired to a completely unplugged vacation, or a little of both. (One thing to note is that we are the LAST house on the Comcast line, and because of that, occasionally the TV or internet goes down. We do our very, very best to make sure everything is working properly before you arrive, but if you get there and it's not, please let us know right away. We have a few work-arounds we can offer!)
The kitchen is large and has everything you'll need to cook great meals and to eat: gas stove, dishwasher, water filter, refrigerator & freezer, plates, glasses, lots of wine glasses, mugs, pots, pans, etc.
There is a washer/dryer and laundry soap if you need it.
We are five miles from Sonoma town. This area of the countryside is incredibly beautiful. Our neighbors include a few people on our private road, as well as the horses at the ranch next door, and the sheep across the driveway. The only sounds you are likely to hear are those sheep, and some pet donkeys braying in the distance.
And of course the best part is that we are in the middle of the California Wine Country. Sonoma is known for its terrific vintages, and also for its farm-to-table restaurants and farmers markets. Every day is a feast here in our little corner of the world. We'd love to have you join us here!
Please note that we do have a two-night minimum on holiday weekends like MLK weekend, Presidents' weekend, Memorial Day weekend, and Labor Day weekend, as well as during the holidays. Guest AccessThe Cottage and its amazing grounds, including the deck, hot tub and surrounding gardens, will be all yours for your private Sonoma retreat. Interaction with GuestsWe live on an adjacent property and we may be around but we may not. We always leave a welcome note, and we're also available by phone and text whenever you need something. The NeighborhoodThe neighborhood is spectacular. The Cottage sits on a private road in a quiet, agricultural neighborhood just north-west of the town of Sonoma. Our road and its adjoining public road are some of the last true country lanes in Sonoma, and well-known to locals for excellent walking, running, biking and general enjoyment. The are is completely peaceful and quiet. There is a sheep ranch and a horse stable along our private road, as well as a few other homes, all hidden from view once you arrive at the Cottage. There is also a seasonal creek running behind the Cottage, and forest and hillside beyond that. Getting AroundNo public transit - you'll need a car. Other Things to NoteHere is our rental agreement. If you send us a booking request and we accept it, you agree to this rental agreement:
You are the “Guests.” We are the “Owners.” These terms plus the terms on the website through which you booked (“Website”), govern your rental of “Winter Creek Cottage” (“Cottage,” in this Agreement), in Sonoma, California:
1. Rules & Regulations. Guests will follow the “Cottage Rules” we’ll send you. They’re also posted at the Cottage.
2. No Sublet. Guests will not sublet the Cottage. That would not be ok.
3. Maximum Occupants. Guests will have no more than six (6) people overnight and no more than twelve (12) people total at the Cottage at any time. Don’t try to sneak in more people, please. That happened once. It was a drag.
4. Use and Maintenance of the Cottage. Guests may use the Cottage, Cottage driveway, Cottage decks, and path and hillside surrounding the Cottage, but not other driveways or structures or the pool at Owners’ house. It would be really weird if we came home one night and someone was skinny-dipping in our pool. Plus, Guests will keep the Cottage in good, clean condition and use the Cottage and all supplies and equipment carefully.
5. Supplies and Equipment. Owner provides sheets and towels; kitchen implements and cooking supplies; basic paper supplies such as toilet tissue and paper towels; soap, shampoo and cream rinse; a blow dryer; laundry soap, dish soap, and dishwasher soap; and garbage bags. Guests may use as much as reasonably necessary for their comfort. Go to town. But Guests agree not to take any supplies or equipment, because that would be so uncool, and to reimburse Owners for anything they take within seven (7) days of request for reimbursement.
6. Maid Service. Guests may pre-book maid service, if our beloved housekeeper is available, for $150 per visit. Otherwise, you’re on your own and please clean up your room.
7. Smoking and Controlled Substances. There is no smoking allowed at the Cottage, on the decks, or outside. Guests shall not have any controlled or illegal substance at the Cottage except those for which Guests bring a prescription. This is all really serious. No exceptions.
8. Parking. Guests’ vehicles may be parked in the Cottage driveway. There is no parking on Winter Creek Lane. If you park on Winter Creek Lane, our neighbors can’t get by and believe me, they will have a fit.
9. Dogs. Guests may bring a service dog, or one non-service dog with prior approval for a fee of $25/day, if dog’s vaccinations, heartworm prevention, and flea/tick repellent are current. Guests shall clean up all dog refuse (aka poop), keep dog off furniture, even though it’s just IKEA, and assume all responsibility for illness and injury to dog, and to Guests and their guests resulting from dog. Dog may not be left alone in the Cottage. No lonely, howling dogs, please.
10. Sonoma County Regulations. Guests shall respect the rights of nearby property owners and not disturb such property owners. Those “NO TRESPASSING” signs are for real – don't get shot. Guest shall follow all Sonoma County Vacation Rental rules (posted in the Cottage), including that quiet hours are between 10 p.m. and 9 a.m.
11. Hot Tub, Potbellied Stove. The Cottage has a hot tub and a potbellied stove. Guests shall ensure that they and their guests use these safely. Guests agree to closely supervise all minors in the hot tub and near the potbellied stove. We’re really concerned about the little ones – please don’t let anyone get hurt. There are no rails or guards to prevent a fall into the hot tub or a burn near the stove, and for themselves and their guests, Guests fully accept all risks involved with the hot tub and potbellied stove. Guests shall to talk with their doctors prior to arrival at the Cottage about whether they may safely use the hot tub. If your doctor says no, please abide by that. Guests agree to burn only Presto logs and other composite-type logs in the potbellied stove, not wood. It’s terrible for the air quality.
12. WiFi, iPod Dock, Cable TV; No Telephone. There is WiFi, an iPod dock, and Cable TV at the Cottage. There’s no landline.
13. Power, Service, Equipment, Weather. The hot tub, potbellied stove, WiFi, internet, iPod dock, Cable TV, air conditioning, washer, dryer, dishwasher, blow dryer, and all other equipment are for Guests’ convenience but are not integral to this Agreement. We’re not making any promises: power and service outages and gaps, equipment breakdowns, inclement weather and other issues may occur. If they do, Guests may contact Owners, who will try to remedy the situation. However, Guests shall not be entitled to any refund of rents or any other remuneration, or to any damages or other remedy, as a result of any such event. Sorry for any inconvenience.
14. Inspection. Owners or their representatives may inspect the Cottage without notice at any time to enforce this Agreement. We had to do that once when some people thought they’d try to sneak fifteen college students into sleeping bags on the living room floor. If Owners discover that Guests have violated the Agreement, Owners may terminate the Agreement and Guests shall immediately vacate the Cottage.
15. Check-Out. Guests shall vacate the Cottage by noon on the last day of their rental period. Please. Because our housekeeper works really hard to get the place ready for the next guests, and even a few minutes make a big difference to her. If Guests fail to timely vacate, Guests shall pay one full day’s rental, plus pet surcharge if a dog has been approved, for each day that Guests fail to vacate. In addition, Owners shall be entitled to all other damages and legal remedies allowed by law.
16. Damage. Guests shall leave the Cottage in good condition upon departure. AKA please don’t trash the place. Guests shall pay for additional cleaning and all maintenance and repairs required to restore the Cottage to good condition. Guests agree that Owners may deduct the cost of such cleaning, maintenance and repairs from the Security Deposit or Insurance Policy, as applicable, and that if the Security Deposit or Insurance Policy is insufficient to cover such costs, Guests shall reimburse Owners within seven (7) days of Owners’ request.
17. Severability. The promises in this Agreement are independent, and the invalidity of any provision shall not affect the validity of other provisions.
18. Indemnification, Hold Harmless, Insurance. Guests hereby indemnify and hold harmless Owners from and against any and all claims for personal injury, property damage and loss arising from Guests’ use of the Cottage, regardless of the nature of the injury or loss, and assume the risk of all such injuries and loss. Any insurance for property damage or loss which Owners have does not cover Guests’ personal property. Guests must purchase such insurance if coverage is desired.
19. Jurisdiction. This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of California, and the parties agree that in any dispute, jurisdiction and venue shall be Sonoma County, California.
20. Attorneys’ Fees. In the event of a dispute arising out of or relating to this Agreement, the prevailing party shall be entitled to recover from the other parties all reasonable costs, expenses and fees incurred, including without limitation staff time, court costs, attorneys’ fees, other legal professionals’ fees. In the event of a settlement or resolution by non-adjudicated process, the term “prevailing party” may be determined by that process.
21. Entire Agreement. This Agreement and the agreements and provisions stated on the Website, together express the full and complete understanding of the parties with respect to Guests’ rental of the Cottage, supersede all prior and contemporaneous agreements and understandings, written or oral, and may not be amended or modified except in a writing signed by all parties. This Agreement shall be construed as to its fair meaning and not strictly for or against either party.