The SpaceLake House Getaway
Do you want a kid-friendly place for a family vacation? In search of a spot for a romantic getaway, a spiritual retreat, time with a group of friends who love skiing and/or being together? Do you need a quiet beautiful setting in which to study, read, write, create, reflect, recharge, work, or pursue a spiritual quest? Do you like skiing and/or other winter sports? Do you want an escape surrounded by natural beauty? Would you like a personal spiritual or yoga retreat? Are you an artist, writer or musician who wants to tap into your inner well of creativity?
Our beautiful, year round vacation home is located in The Western Maine Mountain Region on 19 wooded acres on Clearwater Lake, one of Maine's most pristine, spring-fed lakes. The lake has six-and-one-half miles of shore line with a depth of 135 feet. It is near the culturally rich college town of Farmington, Maine and a little under 200 miles distant from Boston.
It is nourishing at Clearwater Lake.
Here, we can slow down and not be interrupted. One can both commune with mother nature and their our own inner being.
We love how deeply we sleep, and how rested and revivified we feel when we return to the city. We love how we feel connected with nature and each other after visiting. We love how kids respond by finding adventure and fun outside their usual activities.
Enjoy a morning cup of tea or coffee out on the large deck in the warmer weather.
In cooler or inclement weather gaze at the lake and its surrounding wooded hills through the floor-to-ceiling living room windows.
In winter weather, enjoy the panoramic view from inside looking through the picture windows at the surrounding mountains, the trees, the snow and ice, and sky. The scene is always changing with mist appearing and disappearing, with sunsets and sunrises, and with visiting birds and other wildlife.
The house has a large deck with a grill and a large picnic table. You can enjoy the deck, reading and resting or simply watching the lake.
Surrounded by stunning natural beauty, the location abounds in opportunities for outdoor play and nature viewing.
* The home is fully winterized.
* There are sleeping accommodations for at least 9 people.
* It has 2 downstairs bedrooms, a romantic master sleeping loft and a daybed and convertible futon sofa bed in the living room.
* It sleeps 3 couples (4 if the sofa bed is used) plus one person on the day bed.
* The bathroom with natural wood has a skylight, a shower and a clothes washer/dryer.
* The house has a gas furnace, a thermostat, is fully insulated and offers with radiant floor heating as well as a fireplace/wood-stove.
* The wood burning stove in the living room has a glass front and screen, functioning as both a cozy fireplace and a source of extra warmth.
* There is a land-line phone with toll-free calling throughout the US and Canada.
* The house has wired and wireless high-speed Internet.
* In the large, comfortable living room one can curl up on the day bed, couch or in a chair and enjoy a book, music, a warm fire and the many views of the lake and surroundings.
* The living room has a well-stocked board game cabinet filled with chess, checkers, monopoly and many other board games.
* The full modern kitchen has a refrigerator, stove and microwave along with utensils, pots and pans, a blender, and most everything you have at home for cooking.
* The lake side of the house has floor-to-ceiling picture windows so you can be safe from the elements inside as you view constantly changing beautiful outdoor vistas.
* The views of the lake and surrounding mountains around are always stunning, no matter the season.
* The house is remote and private yet easily accessible by car.
* It is a perfect spot for a romantic getaway, a spiritual retreat, a group of friends who love skiing and or being together, or as a place to recharge one's creative juices.
* Visitors have finished writing projects and written songs inspired by the location.
* Enjoy the romance of the wood stove and the comfort of warm floors.
* Feel cozy, safe, and nurtured in every season.
* On clear nights one has spectacular views of the stars.
* The house is very private as it is surrounded by acres of woods on three sides and the lake on the fourth.
* The nearby town of Farmington has a campus of The University of Maine and always has a variety of diverse cultural offerings including adult theater, children's theater, dance and live music(URL HIDDEN)variety of restaurants are available along with grocery shopping, book stores, gift stores, and more.
The house is on a dirt road accessed from a paved road.
The dirt road is about one mile long and goes down a hill
to reach the house. In the winter this road is plowed and
year round residents drive it daily. However, it can get icy.
Four wheel drive and/or snow tires are advisable.
"ALL IN ONE" SEASON PASS HOLDERS--WHY PAY MOUNTAIN RATES(URL HIDDEN)Ski on nearby (within 15 minutes) Titcomb Mountain with 16 alpine trails for all skill levels and many cross-country skiing trails(URL HIDDEN)Sugarloaf Mountain Ski Resort, on Maine's second highest peak is the only lift-serviced above-treeline skiing in the East. It is 40 - 60 minutes away(URL HIDDEN)Saddleback Mountain with 66 trails and 5 lifts is an one hour and 23 minutes away(URL HIDDEN)Sunday River Ski Resort offering 132 trails, 671 acres, and 8 interconnected mountains is an hour and 20 minutes distant.
Ice fishing - see our webpage at (URL HIDDEN) to learn about local fishing laws and regulations
Spring, Summer and Fall Use
The house is available for rental from September through mid-may. It is usually occupied by our family in other months.
It is great for a variety of water sports(URL HIDDEN)Swimmin(URL HIDDEN)Boating. The house has a canoe, two kayaks, a child's canoe, a row boat, and by special arrangement the use of our two sailboats(URL HIDDEN)Water skiin(URL HIDDEN)Hiking - on our property and from the property to nearby trail(URL HIDDEN)Bicyclin(URL HIDDEN)Fishing see our webpage at (URL HIDDEN) to learn about local fishing laws and regulations
Fall Foliage is spectacular! The lake is surrounded by a quilt of incredibly beautiful foliage colors.
Most evenings one is serenaded to sleep by the loons that call the lake home.
The house is a 200 mile drive from Cambridge, MA. We usually drive it in a bit under four hours.
The nearby town of Farmington (6 miles) is a college town with friendly people and local happenings and eateries.
Wired and wireless Internet connectivity
Canoes, kayaks, sailboats and rowboat
Outdoor fire pit for story telling, marshmallows, and more
Dog Friendly, no cats
We love how kids find ways to entertain themselves here, creatively and without a television! The house has lots of books and games for children, with a basket of toys and a box of Legos.
Smoking Not Allowed
Seasonal local activities
Hatha Yoga: mats, inversion swing, and props at house with free community class in town.
Cross Country Skiing
Kayaking and canoeing
Basketball Court in town, at park, and at the University of Maine, Farmington fitness center
Six screen local cinema
Museums and galleries
The weekly rental rate reserves the house from 4:00 pm on a Friday afternoon for seven days until noon on the following Friday.
The "weekend" rate reserves the house from 4:00 pm on a Friday afternoon for two days until noon on Sunday.
The minimum stay is for two nights. Two or more individual nights can be reserved at our nightly fee.
Dogs, with approval, cost an extra fee.
Please provide us with a deposit of at least 50% of your full rental cost with your reservation. The remaining balance is due no later than two weeks prior to your scheduled arrival at the property.
There can be a maximum of 9 people sleeping at the house during your stay unless you have made alternative arrangements with us.
Note: Until your reservation has been confirmed, our rates are subject to change without notice.
The house is rented from September through mid-may of the following year, subject to our regularly updated availability calendar.
Before contacting us, please check our calendar for your desired dates.
Send us a message through airbnb to request further information, with questions, or to reserve your dates. Guest AccessGuests have access to high speed wireless Internet, free phone calls throughout US and Canada, seasonal fishing, swimming, and water craft use. Interaction with GuestsUsually our interaction with guests is minimal. We arrange for guests to be welcomed. We are available to answer questions and help when or if needed. Otherwise, guests usually like to enjoy an undisturbed time. The NeighborhoodThe location abounds in natural beauty.
We are always struck anew with the beauty of the sun rising and setting over the lake, the mystery and majesty of weather systems crossing the hills on the other side of the lake and approaching the house from the opposite shore.
Sunny days during the winter are magical. We love to observe the winter wonderland populated with ice fisherman, cross country skiers, prancing dogs, and laughing children through our floor to ceiling windows from the cozy living room. Getting AroundThe house is only accessible via car using the mile long unpaved camp road.