The SpaceMichiana Shores was first developed in the 1930's for summer vacationers, our home is one of the original cabins, but has all the amenities of a modern home (like air conditioning!).
The home comfortably sleeps eight people and is a great size for two couples, a small group of friends, or for a family with children. We are only accepting week-long rentals in July and August, start and end days are flexible.
- one bedroom with a queen bed
- sun room with queen size futon with 11" mattress and sliding doors that close for privacy as needed
- combined dining and living area with vaulted ceilings, expandable dining table to seat 8
- TV (limited cable channels), Apple TV, stereo with record player
- queen size pull out sofa bed
- one bathroom with a bathtub and shower
- deck off the sun room
Kitchen has nearly everything you'd need to cook to your hearts desire:
(besides the basics)
- koozies (a must for the beach!)
- cooler and ice packs for picnics/beach
- basic condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, a few salad dressings)
- pour over single-cup filters, 10-cup Chemex, French Press, grinder
- hand mixer
- up a winding staircase to the spacious master bedroom
- king size bed
- second bathroom with shower
- desk with wide screen monitor (no computer)
- deck off the sunroom
- fenced in back yard
- upper and lower patio
- fire pit, wood and grilling sticks for s'mores
- frequent visits from deer
- this is a woodsy area, please don't judge us by our weeds!
- tennis courts just around the corner
- beach chairs and wagon provided
- pack n' play
- pop-up high chair
- kids dish and utensils
- a small set of toys
- only organic, naturally occurring pesticides and herbicides are used (hence the weeds)
- eco-friendly cleaning products and fragrance-free detergents
- non-toxic cedar-concentrate is applied outside the home to reduce bugs (and actually works!)
- eco-friendly bug spray and sunscreen is provided
Bath towels, beach towels and linens are provided. Guest AccessThere will be no access to a washer/dryer, the barn or the garden shed. Interaction with GuestsMyself and my boyfriend will be available by phone or email during your stay. The NeighborhoodMichiana Shores is a great location to explore the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Michigan City, New Buffalo and all that Southwest Michigan and Northern Indiana have to offer. Within a short drive or long walk from our home is Stop 50 Wood Fired Pizza, Duneland Beach Inn restaurant and bar, the Red Arrow Stables with trail and pony rides, and Dunes Summer Theater. In a five minute drive, you'll find Al's grocery store, Burn 'em Brewing, Friendship Botanic Gardens, Shady Creek Winery, skydiving at Michigan City Airport, a yoga studio, and (a hit with the kids) the TreeHouse Cafe.
A few miles more to the west, Michigan City offers a revitalized downtown with antique shops and restaurants, the outlet mall, Shoreline Brewery, Blue Chip Casino, a small zoo, a waterfront park with many festivals throughout the summer, sailboat and fishing charters and jet ski rentals from the marina. Head a few miles further west from Michigan City to several wooded or duneland hiking paths through the unique geographic landscape of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.
To the east and south is LaPorte (Beechwood, Briar Hills & Legacy Hills Golf Courses), Heston (Steam Train museum), and eventually South Bend, about 45 minutes away.
About 10 minutes to the north and east is the New Buffalo area with several shops and restaurants (Stray Dog, Redamak's, Oink's Ice Cream, Bentwood Tavern), Four Winds Casino, Whittaker Woods and Grand Beach Golf Courses, and SUP and kayak rentals. Three Oaks (Journeyman Distillery), Lakeside (several antique shops), Union Pier (farmers market), Sawyer (Greenbush Brewery, Sawyer Garden Market, Sojourn), Warren Dunes State Park (hiking, camping) and Bridgeman (Tapistry Brewery, Transient Artisan Ales) are all within a 20-30 minute drive.
For the vineyard seekers, a 40 minute drive will get you to the Berrien Springs & Baroda area with enough wineries to fill a day of tasting, as well as Cultivate Brewery. Kalamazoo is about 45 minutes away, as well as St. Joseph / Benton Harbor. South Haven, Saugatuck, Holland, and Grand Rapids are do-able day trips for those who are up to it.
In the cabin you will find a local guide with our recommendations for food, shopping, and adventures. Getting AroundA car is highly recommended for getting to and around the cabin. The nearest public transportation is the Amtrak or the South Shore Line in Michigan City. Other Things to NoteA few caveats! PLEASE READ!
One bedroom in the home is only accessible by a spiral staircase and may not be appropriate for the young or old that have trouble with stairs.
Although we do NOT allow renters to bring pets (sorry Fido), we have our own dogs in the home when we use it. The home may not be enjoyable for people with pet allergies!
This home is surrounded by woods - people that are allergic to nature, take note. Allergy drugs are recommended.
The indoor fireplace is pretty but is not functional. Please use the fire pit outside if you'd like to have a fire.