The SpaceThe cabin is approx 1500 SF (plus the huge wrap around deck) and is peaceful, quiet and deep in the woods, where you may encounter all kinds of wildlife, including hummingbirds (that you can watch from the feeder outside the living room window), numerous birds at the bird feeder, squirrels and chipmunks on the deck (also eating the bird food), wild turkeys, rabbits, raccoons, the occasional deer, and black bears (although not usually a problem - just make sure garbage is kept secure).
And feel free to bring your own creatures as well!! The cabin is extremely dog friendly with a large 8' tall fenced-in area around the cabin/under the deck that pets can access either by 3 stairs at the back or a ramp in the front (I have an elderly dog who can't do stairs so I built a ramp access ). This makes it easy to let you`re dog out for potty breaks.....just open the door and out they go without worrying about them wandering away. This is a phenomenal feature when it`s 20 degrees and you REALLY don`t feel like going out there with them!!! :)
There are only 5 houses on the mountain, so the cabin is perfect if your plan is to hide away and "veg" without seeing another soul during your visit as you cozy up to the fireplace and soak in the amazing view from the deck, read one of the bevy of books from the lending library (take a book, and/or leave one!), or even play games such as Trivial Pursuit, several versions of "Scene It" and Monopoly just to name a few!
As far as sleeping arrangements, the cabin could actually accommodate up to 9 people, although it may be a bit crowded unless a couple of those were kids :)
- The loft has a queen bed and twin bed with private bathroom
- The back bedroom has a twin day bed plus a twin trundle bed, so can be separate or moved together for a king bed, with a private bathroom.
- The living room sofa is a super comfortable queen bed
- The twin day bed in the living room has a control to be able to raise head/feet, which is great to read, watch tv or just gaze at the mountains
- The reading chair between the living & dining room is also a twin bed.
***Also, there is a super comfortable queen air bed that I often use to sleep outside on the deck when the weather is nice - it's awesome to fall asleep under the stars listening to the crickets!!
Other than that it has all the usual stuff, including:
* Full kitchen with all the appliances as well as coffee & tea with all the fixins' (H&H, sugar, and the pink, blue & yellow stuff) , snacks, oatmeal, butter, spices, condiments, paper towels, napkins and anything else that happens to be in the fridge or pantry are up for grabs! As far as condiments/spices, my only request is if you use the last of something, please replace it! :)
* Both bathrooms have a basket of essentials just in case you forgot something.
* Washer/Dryer (please limit to 2 loads unless staying longer than a week)
* 60" TV with DISH, HBO Starz & Encore channels
* DVD/VHS player and a slew of movies!
* ATT Uverse Internet (though due to the remoteness of the cabin, it's my only option and comes with a monthly data limit so it's not suitable for streaming, gaming, Netflix, etc, but fine for browsing, email, etc)
* Stone Fireplace with blower
* Two mini split systems with heat and air conditioning.
* Solid wood furniture
* Outside heater
* Fire pit
* BBQ Grill - (Weber 22" charcoal kettle type)
* Outdoor dining table & chairs
* Solid wood outdoor lounging chairs with cushions
I also have a huge file box of brochures with the various things to do in the area
Please review the "Getting Around" section for information about the 4WD/AWD vehicle requirements/options, and please check out the description of the pictures for more details about the house layout! Guest AccessGuests will have access to almost anything the cabin has to offer including:
- Hiking sticks, umbrellas
- All "under counter appliances" such as ice tea maker, panini grill, Nutrabullet, rice maker, New Wave oven, mixer, etc
- Linens in dining room cabinet (tablecloths, napkins, etc)
- Washer/Dryer including detergent, softener sheets, bleach, spot remover, etc (please limit to 2 loads unless staying longer than a week)
- Iron/Ironing Board and clothes steamer located in washer/dryer closet opposite the hot water heater.
The only exception (which has the owner's "stuff"):
- In the downstairs bedroom guests have access to the middle closet only, which has space to hang clothes, and the top 2 drawers of the dresser are available as well
- The basement/crawl space
- The closet under the stairs
- Also, please avoid using china/glassware on the top shelves next to the refrigerator and to the right of the stove. Interaction with GuestsAs you can see from my reviews, I try to make sure my guests are comfortable, have everything they need, and most of all have the perfect vacation, whether that be to enjoy downtown Asheville, experience outdoor adventures, explore our craft beer industry, or just stay at the cabin and veg :). I am always available to provide info about the area and/or recommendations for tours, restaurants, places, events, activities (many that are "off the beaten path" :). Most of all I want my guests to make themselves at home!
I am extremely flexible with check in/check out times! So as long as it doesn't interfere with another guest's stay, my motto is that you'll get here when you get here and you'll leave when you feel like it! :)
I will be here whenever the guests arrive to guide them up the road and through the house to answer any questions. After that I will be available as often as needed since I will be staying at my dads 10 minutes away, so will be able to take care of any needs, issues, or questions immediately!
Also - Is your trip a surprise event? Birthday? Anniversary? Let me know and I can have decorations, a cake, flowers, balloons, etc.....I absolutely LOVE setting up the cabin for a surprise event!! I recently hosted a guest who proposes to his girlfriend on the deck and I decorated with dozens of candles, flowers and champagne, and I was so thrilled to be involved in creating the perfect atmosphere for such an unforgettable moment, and I was honored that he chose the cabin for such an auspicious occasion. The NeighborhoodThe cabin is a perfect location to get away from it all, yet it's also super close to the eclectic, artsy downtown Asheville, which has several types of tours including the LaZoom Comedy Bus (it's BYOB), the Downtown Segway Tour, and of course for the beer connoisseurs, several Asheville Brewery Tours are available! We are very proud of our "Beer City" title for the 4th year in a row and the statistic of the most microbreweries per capita in the nation! Or you can take a leisurely walk around town to experience the unique culture, art, restaurants and shopping that downtown has to offer. In addition, the famous Biltmore House and Grove Park Inn are a short drive. I definitely suggest you download the "Dig Local" App for daily up to date info on the Asheville scene, and check out Groupon for deals on numerous attractions, events, wellness, and merchants!
Or if your goal is to experience the "outside" scenery we are a short drive from several whitewater rafting and tube floating outfits, Zipline tours, waterfalls, horseback riding, skeet shooting, and about a billion hiking, mountain biking or road biking trails to explore, as well as snow tubing & skiing areas!
The famous Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) entrance is about 7 minutes from the cabin, which leads to numerous opportunities for beautiful landscapes and interesting stops including:
* the Folk Arts Center (with all BRP info and local arts & crafts)
* Craggy Gardens (beautiful view and numerous hiking trails)
* Mount Mitchell (highest mountain east of the Mississippi with a cool 360 view and restaurant)
* Linville Caverns (underground caves with stalagmites and stalactites!)
* Grandfather Mountain (a huge attraction all by itself with a mile high swinging bridge)
* Cherokee (think Indian culture and casinos!)
OVERALL APPROX DRIVE TIMES:
* 5 min to I-40
* 7 min to Warren Wilson
* 10 min to the Blue Ridge Parkway/Folk Arts Center, grocery store, post office, and restaurants
* 15 min to downtown Asheville or Black Mountain
* 20 min to Biltmore or Grove Park Inn Getting AroundMust have either a 4WD or AWD to reach the cabin since access is via a mile long dirt road with numerous switchbacks.... Unfortunately this is the trade-off to be able to live on top of a mountain, yet only 15 min to Asheville ;)
If this is a problem, just send me a note and , depending on the dates/length of stay, we can work something out where you can use my vehicle Other Things to Note* Four-legged kids always welcome!!! The cabin is extremely dog friendly with a large 8' tall fenced-in area around the cabin that pets can access either by 3 stairs or a ramp (I have an elderly dog who can't do stairs so I built a ramp access )
* I can`t stress enough that the Wi-Fi is not to be used for streaming, gaming or similar activities that require a massive amout of data. Because I`m in the middle of no-where, my only options for internet have a monthly data limit that is more than enough for general usage, email, surfing, even sending/receiving docs & pictures. If there is an overage data fee on my account, I will have to back charge the responsible guest.
* The cabin has a 680' Well with the most amazing water you'll ever taste.....freezing cold right out of the tap! So don`t bother lugging bottles of water up here :)
* This may not be the best place for small children due to the openness of the stairs and deck, but it's up to you since you know your kids....if you're ok, then I'm ok! I've had several kids stay here (as young as 3 Yrs old) without a problem, but just wanted to mention it!
* Please remember this is a cabin in the middle of the woods......I do spray every couple of months, but it is by no means a "pest free zone". You may encounter a creature or two inside the house, but nothing that can't be flattened with a shoe :)