The SpaceAmerican farmhouse MEETS french provincial home MEETS urban flat. All tucked away inside an inconspicuous structure with the looks of a simple barn.
Full access to the 2 Bedroom, 1 Bath, 1500 sq ft home (comfortably sleeps six with two kings and a set of bunk beds) with patio, outdoor fire pit, and a beautiful rural green space on which to play. Follow @thebarnflat (see: Instagram) for more details, pictures, highlights of the Barn Flat and the surrounding area, and seasonal rate specials.
Situated in a rural setting overlooking a 150 year-old barn, you will delight in this peaceful rural retreat while enjoying modern comforts. While the surrounding area is filled with fabulous things to explore, you may find yourself not wanting to leave the flat!
My home is the perfect space for a weekend getaway for:
- one or two couples
- a family with children
- a group of friends
- business professionals
- us regular ol' folk
- brides (getting ready/taking photos)
Regardless of your circumstance or reason to be in the area, you will not be disappointed during your stay at the Barn Flat. Guest AccessYou will have access to:
- the entire Barn Flat and covered patio
- the surrounding yard area (not across any of the fences or gates)
- the outdoor gas grill
- the fire pit
- abundant parking
- handicap / wheelchair accessible main entrance, bathroom and toilet
Once your booking is confirmed and immediately in advance of your stay, I will provide instructions on property entry and key access.
Note: I have a professional cleaning service which will clean before and after your stay. The cleaning fee included in your booking goes towards a portion of this. Interaction with GuestsThe Barn Flat is my actual home and during your stay I will be away on travel. Therefore, I will be available via call, text or email for any questions or issues that might arise. If an issue arises which requires physical presence, I will have a property manager or family member physically come and help you. The NeighborhoodThe Barn Flat is close to everything that picturesque Botetourt County and the Roanoke Valley have to offer. Highlights of the area include:
- the Appalachian Trail
- the Blue Ridge Parkway
- water adventures - canoeing, kayaking, tubing, paddle-boarding
- outdoor adventures - hiking, rock-climbing, mountain biking, skiing
- nature observatories
- the Peaks of Otter
- the James River
- Carvins Cove Nature Reserve
- the Roanoke River
- Smith Mountain Lake
- downtown Roanoke & Salem
- the Mill Mountain Theatre
- golf courses
- wineries and breweries (and coordinated tours)
- countless family-friendly activities
The Barn Flat is also 45 minutes from Blacksburg, Virginia, Virginia Tech and Lane Stadium. If you are planning on visiting the area for a Tech game, this is a great location which offers an alternate route to avoid the I-81 game-day traffic.
I have detailed information on the area and local attractions that I will provide upon request. As a rule, I share this information with confirmed guests in advance of their stay. Getting AroundWe are located:
- 20 minutes to Roanoke
- 35 minutes to Lexington
- 45 minutes to Blacksburg
- 45 minutes to Lynchburg
- 30 minutes to Natural Bridge / Safari Park
- 60 minutes to Smith Mountain Lake State Park
At present, there is no reliable public transportation (note: Roanoke recently started Uber service and will have Amtrak in the near future). To best experience the countryside, we recommend bringing your own car or renting one locally.
If you are interested in participating in coordinated winery or brewery tours, we provide information on how to book these tours (which also provide transportation). Other Things to NoteDETAILED PRO TIPS FROM THE HOST:
- Bring your favorite coffee beans and experiment with brewing methods. We LOVE good coffee and provide all the equipment you need to prepare coffee using the following methods: v60, chemex, french press, aeropress.
- Use the patio! Have a cup of coffee, breakfast, evening drink, read a good book, write, draw/paint/sketch, or just enjoy the view of the old barn or the cool of the evening. It's my favorite. Make sure to flip the switch for the solar powered twinkling lights to enjoy the patio after dark. And enjoy the adirondack chairs.... I built them and want you to relax - it's your vacation!
- Sleep in! I've selected and prepared all of the beds to be super comfortable and the bedding to be both stylish and cozy. Take advantage!
- Curl up in the big chair by the fireplace. With or without a fire. Its heavenly! (same goes for the big leather chair in the master bedroom)
- Cook dinner. I am a cooking enthusiast and have all of the kitchen paraphenalia you could possibly need... including the herbs, spices, oils, vinegars, sweeteners, or other basic pantry ingredients that make or break your ability to cook while on vacation. And a few fab cookbooks.
- "Work" from the desk in the guest bedroom. Open the curtains and get lost in the view of the pasture. It may distract from your actual work, but it offers fantastic "day dreaming".
- Hook your MacBook up to the Apple Monitor for an improved user experience or to watch a movie. Sorry PC users :(
- Play games. I've conveniently stocked the Barn Flat with games (e.g., Scattegories, Catch Phrase, Apples to Apples, Scrabble, Checkers, Chess, Bocce Ball - to name a few) for you to enjoy with your family or friends.
- Gather family and friends around the dining room farm table. This is what they are made for.
- Use the washer and dryer if you need to - they are fab. And everything you need is right there.
- No TV or DVD player.
- No dishwasher and no garbage disposal. At the Barn Flat you can perfect the art of the hand-washed dish. Use the dish gloves and save your fingers.
- The lower bunk bed is a cozy space that you cannot sit up under. Lower distance than a normal bottom bunk, but higher than a ship or train bunk bed.
- The water heater is small, so be cognizant of shower length if others need to shower.
- Fans are beautiful things. They are in both bedrooms and on the patio if you need them.
- The "buzzer" in the master bedroom will sound if someone drives up the driveway; however, sometimes it malfunctions and buzzes without apparent triggering.
- Because this is my actual home - my belongings (e.g., clothes, personal items, pantry) are also inside the home. However, I do have dedicated closet and drawer space for you, my guests.
- There is poor mobile phone service in the Barn Flat due to its structural elements. Once outside, you should have no trouble receiving cell service. I have Verizon service and am able to receive a signal while laying in bed in the master bedroom, or by propping the phone up on the back window behind the desk in the second bedroom (and talking on speakerphone).
- he Barn Flat internet is received via satellite. Therefore, [this is not common, however] wind and weather may impact (or knock out) the signal strength. If this is the case, unfortunately there are no troubleshooting options and you may take this opportunity to enjoy a simple "off-line" vacation. If this happens, the best places to access internet are local area coffee shops: Mill Mountain Coffee & Tea or Land of a Thousand Hills Coffee House.
FOR THE DESIGN ENTHUSIAST
Every detail of this home tells a story. From the interior and exterior wood sourced from the forest on the property or local barns from the 1600s, to the rocks for the stone masonry extracted from the on-site creek, to the contest over which "local" could provide the best stump for the living room coffee table, to the dining room farm table I built with my father, to the kitchen island butcher block sourced from old hardwood from my parents old home, to the barn door extracted from a local train station > 40 years ago, to the bathroom cabinetry build from reclaimed barn lumber, to the chandelier discovered in a Georgetown antique emporium, to the decor elements I've sourced from my travels throughout Europe and Asia, to original art pieces and sketches, to the antiques scattered throughout ... the stories go on and on. Every room of the Barn Flat boasts unique pieces and treasures to enjoy.