The SpaceOur small apartment is quiet, clean and thoughtfully updated, and we think you'll find it to be quite a nice place to stay. With its own exterior entrance and no interior connection with the main part of the house, you will have the entire apartment to yourselves; there are NO shared spaces at any time.
This is the version of the apartment that includes the studio plus an additional bedroom. It's not super huge, but provides some elbow room for those that want more than the studio provides. (If you don't know what I mean when I reference the studio, see our other Fischer House listing).
Right inside the door of the apartment is a sitting area with two chairs and a table as well as a kitchenette with a small fridge, microwave, stove/oven, sink and basic cooking supplies for simple meal prep. At one end of this part of the apartment is the small bedroom with a queen bed and at the other end is the spacious bathroom with shower stall. Through an alcove is the second bedroom with queen bed and a fold-out futon. Free WiFi, games and books are onsite. If you want to watch TV/movies, please bring your mobile device; there is no TV set. If you want to sit outside, there are two chairs right outside the door. See all photos, we've included pictures of the entire space.
The *vast* majority of our reservations are for the smaller studio version of this same apartment. Please read the 90+ reviews on that listing, too, to see how we love taking good care of our guests!
WANT TO BOOK JUST ONE NIGHT ON A WEEKEND?
Weekends have a two-night minimum, but we can make just one night available for a $24 cleaning charge since we'd have to clean twice (still less than family suites at hotels!).
PLAN TO ARRIVE ON A SUNDAY?
We can do a Sunday arrival but only with a check in time between 6:00 and 7:00 PM (-ish on both sides). See "Other Things to Note" below for details about arriving on a Sunday. Guest AccessYou will have access to the entire apartment. If we get a reservation for this listing, we block the dates on the other listing's calendar, so if the dates are showing as available, they are. Interaction with GuestsWe will welcome you when you arrive, get you the key/code, give a quick tour and answer any questions have. After that, you will have your privacy. We will be available by phone/text if you need anything! The NeighborhoodAcross the street is the large grassy area of a city park and adjacent to that is Ellensburg's Memorial Pool which features a full-sized indoor pool, kiddie pool, hot/dry sauna, hot tub and fitness center (ellipticals, bikes, treadmills, rowers and weight machines), all available for a small daily fee.
The homes in this area have character and the neighborhoods are very walkable. Safeway is five blocks away with downtown two blocks beyond that. In our restored "six brick blocks" downtown, you will find many shops, restaurants, bars, museums and art galleries. The apartment is also 2.5 blocks south of campus with the student union building and numerous halls nearby and the music hall and athletic center a bit further away. There are some eateries located within three blocks of the apartment, near the university. Getting AroundWe do have a public transit system for which information is available in the apartment (or you can look up Hopesource Ellensburg Transit online). There are also a couple of locally-owned taxi companies. I've been told that Uber is now in Ellensburg as well. Other Things to Note• DON'T NEED QUITE SO MUCH SPACE? If there are just 1-2 of you, and you don't need the elbow room, our other listing at https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6853899 could accommodate you. It's the same exact space, just without access to the bedroom. You will have a queen bed in a separate, smaller sleeping room. You can visit that listing to book. The per night cost for this option is lower. We do ask that -- in good faith -- you rent the space that is appropriate to the size of your family/group. Thank you!
• Weekday parking on this street requires a permit, which we provide for one vehicle. ***PLEASE LEAVE THIS ON THE TABLE AT THE END OF YOUR STAY*** Sorry to i-shout, but we do need the permit for our next guests; the city does not give these out at will. $50 of the security deposit is for this purpose, but we seriously don't want your money ~ we *need* the permit. Thanks for your help with this.
• SUNDAY ARRIVAL: We'll do a Sunday arrival, but ONLY between 6:00 and 7:00 PM (-ish on both sides). If you book to arrive on Sunday, we'll take $20 off that night. Sunday is our family day and we're at church until late afternoon. If this later check in time doesn't work for you, we'll regretfully have to decline the reservation. If it does, great! We'll see you some time around 6:00; we'll arrange the exact time closer to your arrival. IF the apartment wasn't rented on Saturday night, it's *possible* we could check you in sooner, but we won't know that for sure until that Friday or Saturday; please don't book unless a 6:00-7:00 PM or later check in is acceptable.
• This apartment is ATTACHED TO A HOUSE. Please be respectful of our long-term renters (and our neighbors) by keeping the noise level down. The front and back yards are not included in the Airbnb rental; those are part of the main house. There *is* a small sitting area right outside the apartment door.
• THIS OLD HOUSE has some funky lighting and heating quirks. Nothing unsafe in the least ~ some light switches and fixtures just aren't communicating with each other. No worries - the space is still well-lit. As for heat, due to space issues, we use individual oil-filled radiant heaters that heat the space well. There is no AC for the warmer months, but this side of the house is well-shaded and we have fans for your use if needed. We have not received any negative feedback about the temperature in the apartment during the summer months.
• CHILDREN TRAVELING WITH PARENTS: We love kids! We have lots and know it can be hard to find good, affordable accommodations when traveling. Kids 17 and under stay free with their parents but we do ask that you choose the correct option for your group's size. If you have more than four children, we may be able to accommodate you at our other listing. Message us if this is the case, or if you have questions.
• Ellensburg has oodles of FESTIVALS and ACTIVITIES throughout the year and also has a lot of OUTDOOR RECREATION opportunities. Our local newspaper is called the Daily Record and on their home page you'll find a link to a Calendar of Events to see what might be going on during your stay.
• A local stop for the BEL-AIR AIRPORTER SHUTTLE BUS (to/from SeaTac International Airport) is just half a mile away, at the Starbucks on University Way. If we're available when you arrive, we'd be happy to pick you up and bring you to the apartment.
• ABOUT FISCHER HOUSE: Our house, built in 1908, was originally owned by Ray and Florence Fischer. Ray was a bookkeeper and Florence a school teacher; both were active in the Ellensburg community for many years. The main part of the house still retains many original details. The studio was added in 1998 by the Welch family who purchased the house from Florence in 1976. We purchased it from the Welch family in 2005, making us just the third owners in 100+ years.
• 10% of our Airbnb income goes to ST NILUS SKETE, a Serbian Orthodox monastery on a remote island near Ouzinkie, Alaska, where the sisters are currently constructing simple housing for themselves, by hand.
• Finally, we have NEVER had a report of or problem with bedbugs! Ever. Because we want to keep it that way, we have quarterly inspections done by Prosite Pest Control. Our latest report says we continue to be bed bug free!