The SpaceWe're right on the river's edge in the friendly community village of Redhouse, which borders the Zwartkops Wetland Conservancy and Aloes Nature Reserve.
Rivers Edge Guesthouse can accommodate 10 people sharing five spacious en-suite rooms – two river facing double rooms with patios, one garden facing twin room (two single beds) with private patio, one garden facing double room, and one garden facing self-catering bachelor unit with double bed.
All rooms are carpeted and equipped with ceiling fan, luggage rack, built in cupboard, vanity dresser, tea/coffee station, TV/Mnet, and Free Wi-Fi. Guest AccessA communal lounge, dining room and honesty bar is available for guests who want to socialize. Guests can also relax on the river front lawns, which lead down to the river's edge and private jetty.
Off-street parking is provided behind secure property boundary walls and secured by 24-hour armed response reaction service.
Guests are provided with a remote driveway gate control to access the property during their stay. Interaction with GuestsYour hosts live onsite and are available to answer any questions that you may have. The NeighborhoodThe Redhouse village and surrounding communities are currently involved in various Music Therapy, Permaculture, Conservancy, Education, Internships and Social projects.
Rehouse village is comprised of approximately 104 houses, with an eclectic mix of residents from across all the different South African cultures. We have our own library run by the community and our community hall is an original wood and tin structure that has been listed as a national Monument. Next door to the hall is the Anglican Church that convenes services every 2nd Sunday, alternating between the parish in Swartkops.
The village offers a beautiful public garden, squash courts, bowling green, yacht house, and Rowing club. The University of Port Elizabeth (UPE) rowing club and the Grey High School Rowing Club are both based in Redhouse.
Generally the houses are all huge (mostly older than 60 years) with magnificent gardens for the kids to play in and if they are bored, they go off down to the river to paddle, swim or fish.
It is a safe, friendly village that protects the interests of its villagers and allows for both young families and older citizens to live active, healthy and neighbourly lives. Many activities in the village are organized for villagers to have the chance to mingle together, yet they also enjoy the private, quiet life that Redhouse has to offer. Getting AroundIf you are arriving at Port Elizabeth by air, we do have a Meet & Greet service available.
Email your flight arrival time to (EMAIL HIDDEN) and we will meet you at the arrivals hall for a chauffeured drive to Rivers Edge Guesthouse in a luxury Mercedes-Benz vehicle (maximum two passengers with luggage). A charge of ZAR200 (ZAR400 return) applies and will be added to your bill on check out (cheaper than a metered taxi fare at ZAR340 each way!).
Or you can hire a car on arrival, which is advisable as there is a lot to see and do in Port Elizabeth. There are several car rental agencies at the Port Elizabeth airport: Avis, Europcar, Budget, Hertz, National, Tempest-Sixt and Thrifty.
For directions visit our website at (URL HIDDEN)
ACTIVITIES AND ATTRACTIONS
There are ample activities, attractions and places of interest to visit during your stay at Rivers Edge Guesthouse, both within the Redhouse Village and around the greater Port Elizabeth area. The distances and times shown next to each item in the list below are estimates calculated from Rivers Edge Guesthouse to the listed destination.
• Redhouse Train Station (400m)
• Redhouse Yacht Club (700m)
• Zwartkops Rowing Club (600m)
AROUND PORT ELIZABETH:
NATURE RESERVES, PARKS, TRAILS & BEACHES
• Addo Elephant National Park (41.2 km / 31 min)
• Aloe Trail (5.4 km / 10 min)
• Blindekloof Walking Trails (28.30 km)
• Cape Recife Nature Reserve (30.8 km / 37 min)
• Donkin Heritage Trail (22.2 km / 32 min)
• Donkin Reserve (22.2 km / 32 min)
• Happy Valley (23.4 km / 33 min)
• Island Nature Reserve (27.74km)
• Kragga Kamma Game Reserve (30.3 km - 38 min)
• Maitlands Nature Reserve (47.6 km / 40 min)
• Seaview Game & Lion Park (43.3 km / 37 min)
• Settlers Park Nature Reserve (23.5 km / 25 min)
• St George's Park (20.8 km / 23 min)
• BayWorld Oceanarium (24.2 km / 34 min)
• Campanile (19.7 km / 19 min)
• Cuyler Manor Museum (14.01km)
• Despatch Museum (22.1 km / 23 min)
• Fort Frederick (23.1 km / 24 min)
• Jewish Pioneer's Memorial Museum (19.3 km / 21 min)
• Horse Memorial (20.1 km / 21 min)
• Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum (22.1 km / 23 min)
• No. 7 Castle Hill Museum (20.9 km / 22 min)
• Old Railway Station Museum (19.5 km / 19 min)
• Port Elizabeth Market Square and City Hall (19.8 km / 21 min)
• Port Elizabeth Museum (20.6 km / 20 min)
• Prester John Memorial (20.0 km / 21 min)
• Prince Alfred's Guard Museum (20.9 km / 22 min)
• South African Air Force Museum (26.4 km / 27 min)
• South End Museum (20.6 km / 20 min)
• St. Croix Motor Museum (23.9 km / 25 min)
ADVENTURE & ACTION
• Aldo Scribante Race Circuit (17.7 km / 22 min)
• Baywater Shopping Mall (29.7 km / 25 min)
• Bluewater Bay Shopping Centre (14.2 km / 17 min)
• Greenacres Shopping Centre (20.4 km / 22 min)
• Lorraine Shopping Mall (29.7 km / 25 min)
• Swartkops Spa Supermarket (5.6 km / 8 min)
ENTERTAINMENT, STADIUMS, THEATRES & ART GALLERIES
• Boardwalk Casino (23.7 km / 25 min)
• Eastern Province Society of Arts and Crafts (20.4 km / 22 min)
• Port Elizabeth Opera House (20.5 km / 21 min)
• Port Elizabeth Stadium (19.2 km / 21 min)
• Ron Belling Art Gallery (21.2 km / 24 min)
• Wezandla Gallery and Craft Centre (20.1 km / 20 min) Other Things to NoteOnly 15 minutes from Rivers Edge Guesthouse to either Port Elizabeth, Uitenhage or Despatch and an hour's drive to all world renown "Big 5" game parks in the malaria-free province of Eastern Cape.
Activities within the village of Redhouse include rowing (the Grey High School and Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University rowing clubs are based here), sailing (boats and life jackets can be hired at Redhouse Yacht Club), wind surfing, fishing (river and sea), hiking, birding and mountain biking.