The Space* Circa 1896 Victorian Queen Anne home with a wrap-around front porch, in a beautiful local historic district, within walking distance of downtown Kalamazoo and near Kalamazoo College and WMU campuses
* 4 bedrooms (we use two as a sunroom and library), 2 full baths upstairs and 1 half-bath in basement; foyer, living room, dining room, kitchen, family room.
* Gas, water, electric included (we have a terrific Trane AC unit)
* 2 regular bedrooms: master with queen bed and en suite bath; second bedroom with comfy pull-out queen sofa. Third and fourth bedrooms used as library and sitting rooms, the latter with a set of trundle twins, and outdoor deck attached. Full second bath, recently restored, with skirted c. 1900 tub and beautiful fixtures.
Extra queen Aerobed available upon request, for use in third bedroom (library). Guest Access* All linens, towels, and necessaries for your stay (paper products, washer/dryer etc.)
* Fully stocked kitchen with pantry, including Bosch dishwasher and all staples available for your use; all silverware, pots/pans, small appliances including our Pasquini cappuccino maker (!) and a Mazzer burr coffee grinder. Cuisinart, KitchenAid blender, etc. Fully stocked spice drawer and many other supplies necessary for cooking up a storm. Dacor stove and top-of-the-line Samsung fridge.
Fisher Paykel washer/dryer in basement available for use.
* Beautiful upper deck, including umbrella table and seating for four, overlooking green backyard with mature oaks; beautiful garden, brick patio, and rose garden (we love having dinner on the upper deck!)
* Record player with excellent classical record and CD collection (in library closet).
* Plasma television with expanded basic AT&T cable; CD/DVD player; wireless for your computer needs
* Lots and lots of books! If you love history, theology, mysteries, good literature or historical preservation you're in luck !!
Only basement and attic are off-limits, for storage purposes. Interaction with GuestsWe are usually here on your arrival to introduce you to the space and answer any questions; when that is not possible, we talk by phone. A handout is given with contact info and details you might need about the house. The NeighborhoodKalamazoo was incorporated in the 1830s and is a grand old town with modern artistic flair; we were named one of the 'Cool Cities' in Michigan in 2008! Our area, called West Main Hill, is one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city-- famous Henderson Castle, built in the 1870s, is across the street from us. The neighborhood is tree-lined and has curvilinear streets that are a joy to walk or bike. The city has fine and casual dining, good local shopping, a lovely farmer’s market on Wednesdays and Saturdays; a Nature Center and the KalHaven trail for walking/biking; many summer music and other festivals downtown ----- basically all the necessities you’d need. We are a three minute walk from Kalamazoo College’s beautiful Georgian quadrangle. We are 30 minutes east of Lake Michigan, and the lovely beach at South Haven. We’re 50 minutes from Grand Rapids, Michigan’s largest city which is also fun to explore; we’re 2.5 hr. drive from Chicago. Local highlights to visit also include Saugatuck (a great artist’s area on the coast of Lake Michigan, a 45 minutes drive), Grand Haven further north; and the arable land of SW Michigan with its vast orchards and wine growers. There’s also the Chocolate Garden in Coloma, MI which has the best truffles on the planet ! Getting AroundWe are within walking distance of WMU, K College, and downtown (with its center at
Bronson Park). Local bus systems are also extensive.
Parking available in our single-land driveway; also street parking in front, until 2 a.m. (the city issues tickets after that hour for leaving cars in the street). Our home is a ten-minute drive to Kalamazoo Municipal Airport, and 50 minutes south of Grand Rapids' Airport. Other Things to NoteWe respectfully request a two-night minimum stay. We do also offer discounts for extended stays however-- please inquire per your needs.