The Space(URL HIDDEN) Guest AccessJHALAWAR, situated in the south-east of Rajasthan, was founded by Rajrana Zalimsinh in 1796 besides a lake near the fortified medieval Caravanserai of Patan.
By 1838 the principality was independently ruled by the descendents of the Rajrana.
Today too, it retains much of the old world charm of crowded bazaars, elaborate palaces, fortified towns and colourful fetes along with
the comforts of Virendra Bhawan and a colonial Hindoostan(URL HIDDEN)
Virendra Bhawan a heritage building was built in the 1860 as The Residency for The British Political Agent - Col. H.E Abbott.
Col. Abbott,who came to Jhalawar in the early 1860 is said to have introduced cricket to the region. The then Political Agent at Jhalawar was a very keen cricketer and under his patronage a team was formed at Jhalawar. At its invitation Mayo College played a cricket match at Jhalawar in January, 1889 and in a low scoring match recorded a victory by 48 runs. This was the first match in Rajputana between two teams of two different towns.
The Cricket Field inagurated by him as The Abbott Cricket Field in 1889, is still in use adjacent to Virendra Bhawan
By the turn of the last century, the Residency was home to the legendary Sitarist Ravi Shankar ad his elder brother the classical dancer Uday Shankar. It was in Jhalwar that he law the court dancer Kukibai perform on the elephants, that inspired him to learn oriental dancing which he later took to London and Paris with his troupe to dance with Anna Pavlova.
It was also home to his younger brother, the musician RAVI SHANKAR when his father served as Diwan to Maharajrana Bhawani Sinhji of Jhalawa(URL HIDDEN)
By the turn of the last century is was given as the Dower House to the Maharani of Jhalawar who lived here till 2001