Unique and historic 7,000 sq. ft. mansion, hand built by craftsmen in 1859....
~ 1 year before Abraham Lincoln became president
~ 2 years before the start of the civil war
~ The same year that Dickens published "A Tale of Two Cities" and Darwin published "On the Origin of Species".
Just a short drive from the historic US Military Academy at West Point and less than 5 minutes from The Woodbury Common Shopping Outlets! 39 miles from NYC (under an hour to NYC). Perfect location to over 235 miles of trails at the 52,000 acre Harriman State park... leaf peeping, apple & pumpkin picking, skiing, snowboarding, ice skating under the stars, drive-in theatre, wineries and more Our mansion currently has accommodations to sleep up to 127 people plus a few airbeds to accommodate extra guests. Please see breakdown of sleeping arrangements below.
Wake up to beautiful sunrises over Harriman State Park mountain hearing the cooing morning doves. Sunsets are SPECTACULAR especially while sitting on the Huge wrap around Decks, or on the balcony. This home lends an atmosphere of space, tranquility and relaxation. Incredible degree of privacy for our guests. Makes a fabulous get-away house for the weekend.
For get togethers, the mansion boasts a huge entertainment room with vaulted ceilings, very large living room and formal dining room with fireplace.
The mansion is set on over 5 acres with outdoor spaces available upon request.
We have beds for 17, plus 2 futons that sleep 2 each and air mattresses. We can sleep 24 people including the full size futons and air mattresses. There is a first aid kit in the mud room (entrance) right next to the kitchen. There are 6 fire extinguishers in the house; next to each fireplace and pellet stove, garage, furnace in basement as well as the entranceway to the kitchen from the mud room.
Interaction with Guests: As much as required, and as little as desired. Owner is available at all times via text messaging or phone. Our home is fully-stocked with cookware, utensils, linens, towels, our personal spices & condiments for your use though you are certainly welcome to bring you own should you desire.
Breakdown for sleeping:
1. Master bedroom has a king bed sleeps 2. (2nd floor)
2 - Bedroom with Queen size bed and full size futon - sleeps 4 (2nd floor)
3. Bedroom with Full size bed - sleeps 2 (2nd floor)
4. Bedroom with Full size bed - sleeps 2 (2nd floor)
5. Bedroom with Queen bed - sleeps 2 (1st floor)
6. Bedroom with Queen bed, bunk bed with full mattress on bottom, twin on top - sleeps 5 (3rd floor)
7. Room is also on the 3rd floor. This is set up dormitory style. It has 4 twin beds, 1 bunk bed (twin top & bottom), 1 full size futon - sleeps 8.
8. There is a Queen Sofa bed on the 1st floor next to the queen 1st floor bedroom - sleeps 2.
Total amount of sleeping arrangements is 27 (plus there is one air mattress).
Please see pictures and contact us with any questions that you may have.
THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA:
• Woodbury Common Outlets
• West Point Military Academy
• Harriman State Park
• Hiking - 235 miles of trails (Apalachian Trails)
- Ski or Snowboard at Victor Constant - West Point, Sterlng Forest or Mount Peter
- Old fashioned Drive-In Theatre
• Skiing at a choice of areas
• Leaf Peeping - Fall Foliage
• Hudson River
• Bear Mountain State Park
• Ice Skating
• Apple Picking
• Pumpkin Picking
• Snowboarding & Tubing
• Museum Village - 18 Century Village & Re-enactments
• Sugar Loaf Crafts Village
• Greenwood Lake - Boating, Fishing, Swimming
• Ice skate under the stars at Harriman State Park or Bear Mountain
• Native American Pow Wow's in Bear Mountain, Rockland County and West Point
• Take a hot air balloon ride, hand gliding or go ski diving
Very quiet area. 5 minutes from Woodbury Commons Outlet 2 miles from Harriman State Park and minutes to West Point and Bear Mountain.
Ski or snowboard at Sterling Forest or Mount Peter. Free lessons for beginners. Sterling Forest is a great teaching mountain for beginners and families and yet, has challenging terrain for advanced and seasoned skiers or riders. It is inexpensive and has lift service, 7 trails on a mountain known locally as Tiger Mountain. It has a "bunny slope" with a teaching area, numerous intermediate runs, a NASTAR racing course and a terrain park. There is also a lift serviced tubing center and is lighted for night skiing. Group or private lessons available. During the off season, it offers paintball, concerts, the NY Spartan Spring (a component event of the Reebok Spartan Race) and the famous Renaissance Faire which begins in August and runs through September.
Mount Peter also has skiing, snowboarding, tubing and night skiing. Mount Peter also offers free lessons for beginners on weekends and holidays for skiing and snowboarding. Taught by PSIA (Professional Ski Instructors of America) and AASI (American Association of Snowboard Instructors). Like Sterling Forest, Mount Peter is family friendly and now offers "Sunkid Carpet Lift" which makes it very easy for your first time on the slopes. Mount Peter has a nationally recognized ski race program. One can get group or private lessons. Enjoy a cup of hot chocolate in the lodge. Like Sterling Forest, Mont Peter is inexpensive and even offers lessons for the tiny tots (ages 4 and under).
Go apple and pumpkin picking in the fall. Take a hike or go fishing in Harriman State Park. Enjoy a day at The Woodbury Commons Shopping Outlet is only 5 minutes away. Wine tasting in America’s oldest wine making & grape growing region (Brotherhood Winery in Washingtonville, Baldwin Vineyards in Pine Bush, Applewood Winery in Warwick and more). Visit Sugar Loaf Arts & Craft Village which as over 60 artists studios, craft shops, galleries, jewelry stores. It is surrounded by apple orchards and horse farms and is home of artisans or just walk down the streets of quaint Warwick with it's antique stores and artsy crafts, art and jewelry. Take a boat or jet ski in the summer at Greenwood Lake. Hike the Appalachian Trail in the Warwick Valley. Stay close to home and go skiing with inexpensive tickets, night skiing, snow tubing, and children’s programs.
Visit Museum Village and take a walk through the 19th century of dress and reenactments. Tour the open-air historical museum and explore vignettes of 19th century American Life. Museum Village has a unique collection of eclectic artifact, has hands-on educational that one can participate in and can register for a workshop or event. You will step inside a 200 year old log cabin, sit in a one room schoolhouse, watch a broom being made, make a candle yourself, see an authentic real Mastodon skeleton, visit the 130 year old general store. In the fall, Museum Village features the "Pure Terror Scream Park".
There are several Native American Pow Wow's in the area, Bear Mountain, Northern Rockland County & West Point.
For those of you who enjoy theatre, visit The Playhouse at Museum Village which is operated by the Muddy Water Players.
Enjoy The United States Military Academy at West Point and take a walk through time and trace the paths of generals and presidents. Visit the famous West Point Cemetery, the West Point Museum, concerts and shows at Eisenhower Hall, Cadet Review Schedule (Parades), guided tours and sporting events.
Woodbury Common Premium Outlets with over 220 designer stores, such as Michael Kors, Tory Burch, Nike, Celine, Chanel, Coach, Gucci, Bottega Veneta, Polo Ralph Lauren, North Face, Off 5th, Tommy Hilfiger and more. For motorcycle enthusiasts, visit Orange County Choppers, Newburgh Waterfront on the Hudson (lots of wonderful restaurants, bistro's, cafe, with 2 paddle wheel cruise boats, dinner cruises, jet skiing, kayaking, and so much more. There is The Newburgh Symphony Orchestra and Washington's Headquarters has spoken tours. Storm King Art Center I500 acre landscape of beauty, with serene fields, hills and woodlands, which provides the perfect setting for a collection of more than 100 sculptures created by some of the most acclaimed artists of our time.
Discover Washington’s Headquarters and Harness Racing Museum & Hall of Fame in Goshen with historic collections.
The Hudson Valley was the first wine producing region in the nation, and Orange County is still home to several award winning wineries:
• Applewood Winery – Warwick
• Baldwin Vineyards – Pine Bush
• Brotherhood Winery – Washingtonville
• Christopher Jacobs Winery at Pennings Vineyards – Pine Bush
• Clearview Vineyard – Warwick
• Demarest Hill Winery – Warwick
• Orchard Hill Cider Mill – New Hampton
• Palaia Vineyards – Highland Mills
• The Little Wine Bus – Greater New York area
• Warwick Valley Winery & Distillery – Warwick
• Harriman State Park is the 2nd largest park in New York parks system. It boasts 31 lakes and reservoirs, 200 miles of hiking trails, streams, scenic roads, scores of wildlife, and has 4 beaches; Lakes Welch, Lake Sebago, Lake Tiorati and Lake Silvermine, the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area. Boat launch sites require a boat permit. Dogs must be on a leash. Ice skating is allowed on Lake Tiorati and Lake Silvermine only when the Park post a GREEN sign/flag at the ice skating locations.
Bear Mountain also has a wonderful ice skating rink. The rink is outdoors (skate under the open skies) and uncovered so make sure you dress for outdoor skating.
Ananda Ashram is a Yoga retreat and spiritual and educational center around the corner with daily Yoga, Chanting, Sanskrit classes plus classical Indian dance, music instruction and workshops.