The SpaceThis hillside home is built on 3 levels with two spacious decks with panoramic views of Mt. Tamalpais and the Muir Woods Valley. The upper deck has lounging and outdoor dining furniture and the lower deck features a lounging area and hot tub. Kitchen is fully equipped for home cooked meals and the dining table seats 6. There is a TV entertainment area on the landing on the second floor. The home has a washer dryer and central heating, though the lower floor is heated by a Yotil gas stove. The three bedrooms all have mountain views and include one Cal-King bedroom, a Queen bed in suite with a shower bathroom, and the smallest bedroom has a campaign or day bed that has two twin beds. The Cal-King Bedroom and the small bedroom share a bathroom with shower. There is no bath tub in the home. Interior has wall to wall carpeting.
The home is private and retreat like. There is abundant wildlife in the area including deer, coyote, bobcat and resident and migrating raptors. The home is a 10 minute walk down hill to Muir Beach and a 5 minute walk to the Muir Beach overlook. Guest AccessTravelers have access to the entire property with the exception of locked cabinets. The area has world class hiking and mountain biking and the communities of Mill Valley, Sausalito and Stinson Beach are but 20 minutes away. San Francisco is 35 minutes away.
AirBnB makes it difficult to have a conversation with potential guests because it wipes phone numbers from early communications. But I wish to make sure that I can address all questions from your end and make you aware of property restrictions on my end before we book. So, here's what I'll do. I'm including here our rental agreement that we use for all our guests we book with another listing service. It will tell you about the terms and conditions, rules etc. that are important to us. Obviously, because yours is a tenancy through AirBnB, we will abide by all AirBnB terms for dates, cancellations, refunds, and dispute resolutions. But you should know what we expect from guests. And, if you wish us to finalize this booking, you must explicitly agree to our rules and terms of stay before we can hold the dates for you. Please reply by email on AirBnB to agree to our rules.
The following is a brief outline of concerns from our end, restrictions on the use of the property and things to watch out for. I want you to know about these in advance so you can make the best decision for your vacation stay. Following that is our boiler plate rental agreement.
Restrictions: CAUTION: THE HOME HAS A SEPTIC SYSTEM. Plumbing repairs to clear blockages can be very expensive (last time about $500). If blockages enter the leach lines it can be 10s of thousands of dollars. I want you to know this because anything other than #1, 2, or TP in the toilets can easily cause a blockage. Parents of young children: toilets are NOT a toy. Baby wipes, cottonballs, diapers, feminine hygiene products, cue tips, face tissues, etc. must not be put in the toilets. They must be put in the trash. Each bathroom has a waste basket for trash. The kitchen and bathroom sinks likewise can only take rinse water. There is no garbage disposal. So please exercise caution with the septic system and brief all guests on its proper use. We insure that the toilet and sink lines work well before each change of guest. We will hold guests responsible for clearing blockages or any damages to the system. We schedule regular maintenance to the septic tank as advised by the manufacturer but abuse of the system can damage it.
Kitchen faucet. ADVISORY: A previous guest has damaged this faucet handle by cranking it around. It needs to stay in the up position and hot water is located at 1:00 to 2:00 and cold water at 10:30 or 11:00. Do not crank the handle around. If you do not get hot water immediately, give it time. It has to come all the way upstairs though the system.
Guests and plumbing Because of the plumbing we also cannot have heavy use of the system, hence the number of overnight guests in the home is a strict 6. NO LARGE PARTIES. Day guests up to 14 in number, and up to 10 p.m. are allowed but they should ALL be briefed on the plumbing.
We also have this rule because the community is a residential neighborhood and big parties and noise after 10 p.m. may adversely impact our ability to continue renting for vacation guests. Please respect our neighbors.
We have standard American kitchen amenities and there are spices, sugar, ketchup, mustard, vinegar and olive oil on hand. We provide a host basket of eggs, milk, butter, coffee, black and green teas, a bottle of wine, chocolate, a breakfast bread and apples, citrus and bananas.
We recommend that you bring groceries in with you because it is a minimum 20 minute drive to the nearest markets: Molly Stones in Sausalito, Whole Foods and Safeway in Mill Valley. Weekend traffic can be difficult.
The home has wildlife very close. You may see bobcat, coyote, fox, many hawks and jackrabbits. We ask that you do not leave food out and encourage wild life.
ABSOLUTELY NO PETS: no visiting pets. We advertise our home as “no pets” and owe it to our sensitive guests and workers who have allergies to deliver a completely “pet clean” home. There is also no fenced yard or safe place to keep pets on our property. We also have a fox family that lives very close and helps keep down the gopher and mice population. We would not wish to lose this natural form of pest control to displacement by aggressive dogs. Our fox friends delight guests who often see them playing together or hunting the hill. Please tell your guests and visitors they must leave their pets at home.
There is parking for 2-cars one behind another in the gravel drive. There is also street parking available.
The area is also a high fire danger area quite near a national monument forest so there is NO SMOKING of any kind in the house or grounds, no vaping and no barbecuing, nor open flame candles.
ADVISORY: Please be aware there is a utility meter sunk in one corner of the driveway. Use caution entering or leaving the driveway as driving into it could damage your vehicle. Slow and easy always.
ADVISORY: The home is NOT CHILD PROOF. There are fragile objects and delicate surfaces throughout the home. You will need to exercise care in stowing away things you wish to keep from kids. We have installed a child proof lock on one closet for you to stow breakables and dangerous stuff, cleaners etc. You are responsible for removing all hazards to children.
ADVISORY: Do not take our bath towels outside the home. Beach tar does not wash out of towels and we will charge for replacements. Also, please help us conserve water and energy by using only towels laid out for your party. We put out several wash cloths, hand and body towels plus a spare towel per bathroom.
USING THE HOT TUB: Hot tub and other rules and information are listed in the white binder in the home. Please follow all rules.
Children (under 13) are NOT allowed in the hot tub. The presence of an adult (over 21) is required at all times during use of the hot tub. Improper use of the hot tub can result in extra charges. Draining and cleaning the tub runs around $180.00. Please clean sand from feet before using the hot tub. It is recommended to take a cleansing shower before tubbing.
Cell phone service in the area is poor. But you can log onto our LAN and access phone services from your computer or other device. You may use the land line in the home for emergency and local calls. Toll calls and long distance are blocked.
Also, the 3rd bedroom has 2 twin beds in a day bed set up. They are designed to work as twin beds, not as a double bed.
Stairs. The house is built into a hill and has stairs down to the front door and several sets of stairs inside. It is not ADA compliant so you should consider the mobility and comfort of your companions before deciding to rent.
The following is our boiler plate contract. Please review it and feel free to ask questions before you agree to rent. Again as to cancellations, deposits, damages and dispute resolution we will abide by all Airbnb requirements.
Thanks so much for your interest. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Terms and Conditions
Mountain House at Muir Beach CA
SHORT TERM VACATION LICENSE AGREEMENT
This Vacation/Monthly License Agreement is entered into by and between Mountain House at Muir Beach property owner __________ and guest. Guest`s payment of deposit, rent, or taking of possession of the vacation property after receipt of this agreement is evidence of Guest's acceptance of this agreement and all of its terms.
1. PREMISES. This Agreement is entered into for the short-term occupancy of the property described in the reservation invoice.
2. TERM. The term of occupancy by a Guest is based on the agreed term listed in the reservation invoice. The term shall commence at 1:00 p.m. on the Check-in Date, and shall terminate at 11:00 a.m. on the Check-out Date.
3. OCCUPANCY LIMITS:
• Maximum Occupancy: The maximum occupancy for the Premises is no more than 6 persons.
• Additional Guests: Should Licensee wish to entertain or invite additional persons on the Premises, Licensee shall make a written request to Licensor no less than five (5) days prior to the Check-in Date. Licensee's request may be denied by Licensor in Licensor's sole discretion, and the lack of a response shall constitute denial. Under no circumstances shall any approved guests stay later than 10:00 p.m. Day use up to 12 persons. No people beyond that.
• Minimum Age: The person signing this agreement must be 30 years of age or older and must be one of the Licensees throughout the Term.
4. RATE/BOOKING CHARGES: As consideration for use of the Premises during the Term, Guest agrees to pay Licensor total booking charges listed in the reservation agreement.
5. DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT SCHEDULE:
• Initial Deposit: Guest shall pay an initial non-refundable deposit in the amount of twenty-five percent (25%) of the total Booking Charges at the time of booking (the “Initial Deposit"). Unless otherwise agreed by Licensor, the Initial Depositshall be paid on the VRBO website property #625038 via Visa, MasterCard or Debit card (“Major Credit Card"). Guest understands that occupancy dates are not reserved or confirmed until Licensor receives the Initial Deposit.
• Remaining Balance: The remaining balance of the Booking Charges (the “Remaining Balance") shall be due sixty (60) days prior to the Check-in Date. Guest agrees and acknowledges that the Remaining Balance will be automatically charged to Guest's credit or debit card sixty days prior to the Check-in Date without further notice unless prior arrangements have been made in writing for payment by check, wire transfer or cash.
• Additional Payment Terms: If Guest's reservation is made sixty (60) days in advance of the Check-in Date or less, the Booking Charges shall be paid in full via Major Credit or debit Card. In no event will Guest be given access to the Premises until the Booking Charges are paid in full and cleared by Licensor's banking institution (and the full security deposit is received, if applicable).
• Method of Payment: By entering into this Agreement and providing Guest's credit card information, Guest expressly authorizes Licensor to charge Guest's credit or debit card as set forth herein, and acknowledges that any such payment(s) will be automatically charged without further notice to Guest. All payment(s) shall be non-refundable unless otherwise expressly provided herein. Guest will pay Licensor a charge of $30 for each returned/dishonored check. A processing fee of 2.75% will be included on reservations paid in full by credit card.
6. CHECK-IN / CHECK-OUT PROCEDURES:
• Check-In Procedures: Prior to arrival, Licensor will transmit to Guest instructions regarding obtaining access to the Premises. Upon entering the Premises, Guest agrees to follow all check-in procedures provided by Licensor, to call Licensor to confirm successful access, to examine the condition of the Premises, and to immediately notify Licensor in writing if the Premises or any of its contents are not in operating condition or are in disrepair. Licensor may contact Licensee or stop by the Premises within 24 hours of Licensee's arrival.
• Check-Out Procedures: Guest shall review and comply with all check-out procedures provided by Licensor.
• Forgotten Items: Licensor shall not be responsible or liable under any circumstances for any personal belongings, valuables or other items forgotten at the Premises or left after check-out.
• Generally: Linens and bath towels are provided by Licensor. Internet access is password protected (with access code provided prior to/upon check-in). To the extent practicable, the Premises will be fully furnished prior to check-in. However, there shall be no refunds or discounts if any amenities are not available or are inoperable. Use of the Premises and all amenities shall be subject to the Waiver and Release of All Claims, Assumption of the Risk, and Indemnification (the “Release") attached hereto as Attachment B, and incorporated herein by reference as though set forth in full.
• Food Left by Prior Guests: Please note, on occasion prior guests may have left partial containers of condiments, spices, etc. Licensor assumes no responsibility for the quality or contents of any food products left on the premises, and Guest's use and/or consumption of same shall be at its own risk and the risk of any guests.
• Particular Amenities: Guest understands the Premises may not have all items Guest is accustomed to having in its own home. Any specialty or particular items Guest is accustomed to using should be brought by Guest or purchased locally.
• Missing Items: Guest shall be responsible for the actual cost to replace any supplied item that is missing after checkout, and such sums may be recovered through Guest's security deposit protection plan or withheld from Guest's security deposit, or charged to credit card or debit card on file, as applicable.
• Additional Items: Licensor may provide items for the enjoyment of the home or environs, such as outdoor furniture, games, music CDs/DVDs, at Licensor's discretion. It is Guest's responsibility to inspect and approve the condition of any such items upon check-in and prior to use. If items are lost , stolen or damaged during Guest's stay, Guest will be held responsible, with repair or replacement costs recovered through Guest's security deposit protection plan or withheld from Guest's security deposit, as applicable. In the event that any such items are available, Guest agrees to abide by the terms and conditions contained in Attachments A and B.
• Barbeques/Fireplaces: Barbeque grills and fireplaces are not to be used at the property. The first floor wood stove is for emergency use only in the event of a power outage lasting more than one day. Any fire, smoke, or other damage shall be Guest's responsibility.
• Pool/Hot Tub: If the Premises includes a pool and/or hot tub, special instructions for safety and maintenance apply, and the failure to abide by these rules will result in charges to Guest's damage deposit. If a pool/hot tub is improperly used and must be drained and refilled, extra maintenance costs will be charged against Guest's security deposit or credit card. Guest agrees to use the pool/hot tub in accordance with posted rules, to follow all provided maintenance guidelines, and to abide by the additional terms and conditions.
8. RULES AND REGULATIONS:
• Noise/Parties: The property being rented is a home in a residential neighborhood. There may be people living nearby who are year-round residents, with many neighboring homes being owner-occupied. Excessive noise, rowdy behavior, loud music or other nuisances will not be tolerated by neighbors or Licensor. Quiet hours begin at 10:00 p.m., including on weekends and holidays, and are strictly enforced.
• Applicable Laws: Guest shall fully comply with all local, state, and federal laws while staying at the Premises, including, without limitation, all city ordinances. Guest acknowledges that it is Guest's responsibility to know, understand, and abide by all such laws and regulations.
• Pets: No pets or animals are allowed on the Premises at any time.
• Smoking: Smoking is not permitted in the Premises or on the balconies, courtyards, surrounding areas, patios and yards of the Premises.
• Standard Rules & Restrictions: The standard rules and restrictions applicable to the Premises (including those applicable to pets, smoking, etc.) are listed in full on our website.
9. CANCELLATION / REFUND POLICY:
• Cancellation: There are NO refunds on initial deposits and final payment once reservation is made and paid for. Refunds on initial and/or final payments are ONLY returned if unit is re-rented. There are no refunds or credits for unused lodging.
Cancellations must be made in writing to and verified in writing by Property Manager to be valid.
• Unavailability: Guest acknowledges that any number of events or circumstances may preclude Licensor from delivering possession of the Premises to Guest, including, without limitation, sale, foreclosure, fire, mandatory evacuation, acts of nature, construction delays, enactment or enforcement of restrictions on short-term or vacation rentals, governmental action,
actions taken by HOAs or similar associations, or any other similar circumstances.
• Limitation of Liability: In the event Licensor is unable to deliver possession of the Premises, or is precluded from doing so for any reason, Licensor shall not be liable for any costs, expenses, or damages of any kind incurred by Guest. In such an event, Guest agrees that Licensor's sole liability shall be limited to a full refund of all payments received from Guest.
• “As Is" Rental: Chances are that Guest is reserving the Premises without having first viewed them in person. While the Premises have generally proven satisfactory to previous guests (except in the case of new vacation rental properties), guest understands it is renting the Premises on an “as is" basis.
10. VACATION RENTAL INSURANCE: There shall be no refunds of any kind due to shortened stays or ruined expectations because of weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances due to financial, health or family emergencies, and Licensee confirms that it has reviewed and understands the cancellation/refund policy set forth above. To protect Your vacation investment (including the Initial Deposit) Licensor recommends CSA travel insurance available through Licensor. Vacation rental insurance reimburses for pre-paid, non-refundable expenses due to certain unforeseeable circumstances that may jeopardize Your vacation investment and force You to incur unplanned expenses. Licensor strongly recommends that Guest purchase this valuable protection. Please email us at (Your address) or VRBO (EMAIL HIDDEN) or call us at ((PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN), extension 1 for additional information. Guest understands that certain terms and restrictions apply, and that it must consult the actual policy for full details and to understand the scope and limits of coverage. By not purchasing this insurance Guest is declining coverage.
Note: House has a septic system. Guest will be held responsible for the cost of clearing drainage clogs that happen during their tenancy. Guest agrees to pay for all plumbers costs.
11. CLEANING: The Premises will be cleaned prior to Guest's arrival, and after departure. Guest's rental fee provides for typical cleaning requirements. If additional cleaning is required, Guest shall be responsible for the costs thereof. They will be billed to the Ccard on file
12. ENTRY AND INSPECTION: Both Licensor and the owner of the Premises (or its representatives) shall have the right to enter the Premises at any time (i) to enforce the terms of this Agreement; (ii) in case of emergency; (iii) to verify that the terms of this Agreement are being met; (iv) to exhibit the Premises to prospective or actual purchasers, renters, workman, repairmen, guests, or contractors; or (v) when Guest has abandoned or surrendered the Premises. While Licensor will engage in reasonable efforts to notify Guest beforehand, no prior notice shall be required and Guest's non-permission shall not preclude entry.
13. MEDIATION: Licensee and Licensor agree to mediate any dispute or claim arising between them out of this Agreement before resorting to court action, unless the amount in controversy is within the jurisdiction of the Small Claims Court in -Marin ounty California. The mediation shall take place in Marin County before a neutral with either Resolution Remedies or other mediator jointly agreed upon. Mediation costs/fees shall be divided equally among the parties. If, for any dispute or claim to which this paragraph applies, any party commences an action without first attempting to resolve the matter through mediation, or refuses to mediate after a request has been made, that party shall not be entitled to recover attorneys' fees, even if they would otherwise be available to that party in any such action. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a party may initiate legal action without participating in mediation (and may recover attorneys' fees incurred in the litigation if it is the prevailing party) to the extent it seeks immediate injunctive relief in good faith. Notwithstanding any provision herein to the contrary, Licensor (or the owner of the Premises) may have Guest removed from the Premises by local law enforcement for any alleged violation of this agreement.
4. NO ASSIGNMENT/SUBLEASE: Licensee may not assign this Agreement or sublet the Premises or any portion thereof without prior written consent of Licensor. This Agreement may be assigned by Licensor, including, without limitation, to another management company or to the owner of the Premises.
15. NOTICES: Except as otherwise expressly provided herein, any notices to be given by either party to the other shall be in writing and shall be transmitted by either (1) personal delivery, (2) certified mail return receipt requested, (3) overnight delivery, or (4) facsimile with receipt confirmation and additional copy sent via regular mail, postage prepaid, as set forth below. Each party may change the address or facsimile number provided by giving written notice in accordance with this Paragraph. In the event of mailing, notice shall be deemed given on the 3rd day after deposit; otherwise notice shall be deemed given upon receipt (unless received after 5:00 p.m., and in such case, notice shall be effective on the next succeeding work day).
Notice to Licensor: Notice to Guest: fill in correct name etc.
Mountain House at Muir Beach
16. MISCELLANEOUS. For other miscellaneous terms and conditions please see the handbook at the home.
Licensee acknowledges that Licensee has read, understands, accepts and has received a copy of this Agreement in its entirety and the Attachments hereto. Licensee agrees that all funds paid to Licensor are non-refundable under the cancellation/refund policy unless otherwise expressly provided herein.
Dated: _______________________ Signed: ________________________________
(Licensee) __________________ Dates of Stay: _______________. As per paid reservation made with VRBO or AirBnB booking.
City State Zip
Names of individuals staying in home:(optional for emergency purposes only.)
6) __________________________________(URL HIDDEN)-- - -
Oct 22, 2016 Interaction with GuestsWe are available to assist with emergencies, should they occur and advice. Guests are encouraged to phone management with questions or to report problems. The NeighborhoodThe tiny community of Muir Beach is located on a hillside on the Pacific Coast of No. California. One side of the hill enjoys panoramic views of the ocean and coastline, while the other has stunning views of the back side of Mt. Tamalpais, the highest peak in Marin County. The area is a quiet enclave community whose values include love of the natural world, privacy, and enjoyment of the physical beauty of the area and its many possibilities for active adventure or contemplation. World class bike and hiking trails are 2 minutes away. Muir Woods National Monument is 10 minutes by car. Muir Beach is a 10 minute walk and the quaint and rustic English pub and inn, ThePelican Inn is just down the hill. It's a favorite of road and mountain bikers, beachcombers ad hikers who come for the pub grub served in the bar or the full service dinner fare in the restaurant.
The area is also superbly located for a coastal drive or ride to the communities of Stinson Beach and Bolinas, Pt. Reyes, Tomales, Inverness and Olema. Getting AroundPublic transportation does not serve the community. The community is 45-60 minutes from SFO airport. Other Things to NoteParking for 2 average cars and street parking is available.