The SpaceSometimes I'm home, and sometimes I'm away. When I'm away, the house is here for my house guests. Please! No large parties on the property.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
Three regular bedrooms are on the 2nd floor. 1 full bed; 1 twin bed; 1 queen bed in master bedroom (for use only when I'm away.) 3rd floor is finished with portable heat & window AC. It has a full bed for use as needed. All beds have memory foam on mattresses.
2 newly renovated bathrooms with showers; 1 on 1st floor and 1 on 2nd floor. Bed linens, towels, and essential toiletries are provided.
Comfortable living room, dining room, and kitchen are on the 1st floor.
Laundry is in the basement.
OTHER AMENITIES ON THE PROPERTY:
- Retractable laundry line extends from the back porch corner to the storage shed.
- Entertainment Center in the living room that you are welcome to use.
- WIFI is available.
- 2 smaller TVs with basic cable in 2nd floor guest bedrooms.
- 1-zone with forced hot air by gas on 1st & 2nd floors. The 3rd floor is heated with a portable electric Amish fireplace.
- Window A/Cs are in place throughout the house during the summer for your use as needed. (Do NOT open bottom windows that hold the ACs in place.)
- Curbside parking on corner lot with minimal traffic.
- Small back and side yard with front and back entrances and open porches.
- Assortment of board and card games.
- Outside gas grill is available for cooking(URL HIDDEN) - Backyard fire bowl for a relaxing evening fire during the summer season.
Also, since I will not be here when you're at the house, be sure to familiarize yourself with the online House Guidelines, House rules, and guidebook that I have provided. A 3-ring binder is also available in the dining room with an Airbnb Guest Book.
New Bedford is a small city of rich diversity. Although I will not be physically available, I'm a phone call, email, or text message away for any needs or questions. I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP. Please don't hesitate to ask me about anything that can enhance your visit.
While I ask that you respect my home, I fully expect that you will make use of the entire 1st floor and any bedrooms and bathrooms you need. You may also use the washer and dryer in the basement for your own laundry. There is no need to use the storage shed during the summer season. Outside lawn chairs are either on the front and back porches, or are in the basement. I have taken the time to store personal belongings to provide you with more closet and dresser space. Please do not open any storage containers in bedrooms, on the 3rd floor, or in the basement. I have locked one extra room on the 2nd floor for additional storage.
NEIGHBORHOOD & LOCAL COMMUNITY:
You are staying in the desireable West End neighborhood and minutes to downtown New Bedford. Discover New Bedford Whaling National Historic Park with walking and harbor tours during the summer season. Also Fort Taber and Fort Rodman are on the South End overlooking Buzzards Bay. Natural environmental beauty is a couple blocks away at Buttonwood Park with a zoo and playground that appeals especially to young children. Plenty of nearby restaurants, cafes and shopping.
Lovely Victorian neighborhoods surround your stay with newly established biking lanes. Nearby, Phoenix/Mattapoisett Bike Trail provides a delightful 7 mile roundtrip riding experience from Fairhaven to Mattapoisett. Fairhaven Village, including Fort Phoenix and the Hurricane Barrier extending out to the harbor, is a must-see on bike, walk, or slow car ride. Great restaurants to choose from right in the village.
A new Harbor Walk is open on the opposite Harricane Barrier starting at The Edge Restaurant on Rodney French Boulevard, NB and ending on the other side of the New Bedford Harbor Gate.
You're in the heart of a proud fishing, scallop, and lobster community that you won't want to miss. Many art galleries throughout New Bedford, Fairhaven, Dartmouth, and Westport.
I've tried to think of EVERYTHING I can to make your visit less confusing and more enjoyable. Please read the HOUSE RULES carefully. They include more guidelines than rules that, in the end, will make you and me happier :-))
Since this is my home, I've taken precautionary steps by photographing all around the house. My neighbors' son, CJ, along with his parents, monitor my property while I'm away. Please don't hesitate to contact me, and I will get in touch with CJ or Wendy, my cleaning lady, regarding any problems you may be confronted with. HEY! It could happen. Guest AccessYou will be provided with 1 set of 2 keys. You should find them inside the storm door on the back porch. One key is for the front door; the other key is for the back and side door. You can use the front or back door, but I recommend that you come and go through the back door since you will probably park on the Palmer St. side of the house. Interaction with GuestsI like to meet my guests before, during, or at the end of your stay whenever possible. For entire house guests, I am typically away so communication via email, text, or phone call is important to both of us. Questions or concerns are never an imposition to me.
Ask away! The NeighborhoodMy neighborhood is in the West End of New Bedford and is surprisingly quiet. Parking is typically easy especially during the summer season. I encourage you to park on the Palmer St. side of my home. This allows space for my next door neighbors to park in front of their house next door.
My immediate next door neighbors are very nice people. The tenants live on the 1st floor and help me monitor my property while I'm gone. In the summer season, this includes mowing the lawn usually once a week. CJ will also help with watering outdoor plants and making sure the large blue trash and recycling bins are brought to the Palmer St. curb on Wed nights or Thurs mornings. Don't be surprised if Chris, Lisa, or their teen son, CJ, walk over to say hello and see how things are going for you. Getting AroundGetting to downtown NB by foot is about 20 minutes. SRTA is the local public bus line throughout New Bedford. (SENSITIVE CONTENTS HIDDEN) search SRTA online. Cabs are also available. The NB LINE is a shuttle system that connects visitors and residents to cultural and recreational destinations in New Bedford.
If you have the stamina and desire, you don't even need a car for visits to the downtown NB area. Numerous guests have chosen my location so that they can walk to downtown without a car.
- Centrally located on the south coast with easy auto driving via highway or scenic backroads to Providence, Fall River, Boston, and Cape Cod.
- Access from downtown New Bedford to Boston is provided on DATTCO commuter bus. DATTCO will conveniently get you from Boston (South Station) to New Bedford downtown Bus Terminal and back.
- Nearby commuter train (MBTA) can be taken from Middleboro/Lakeville to Boston. The station is about 30 minutes north of New Bedford off Rt 105. Expect to pay $5 or more for daily parking.
- Daily ferries from New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard and Cuttyhunk Island.
- New Bedford offers taxi service and daytime local public bus, transportation, SRTA, that has a stop just behind my home.
- New Bedford Regional Airport provides convenient airfare service to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Other Things to NoteFor an older and smaller city, New Bedford has a lot going on to relive its past whaling and underground railroad history as well as its active role in the current fishing industry.
We are conveniently located in the middle of Cape Cod, Boston, Providence, Newport RI, and a short ferry ride to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Make sure you leave at least one day to visit the New Bedford National Historic Park within walking distance. In the summer season, two Visitor Centers are open to help guests navigate their way through the park. One is on William St, downtown; the other is on the waterfront about a 10 minute walk away.
For souvenirs, be sure to stop in at Moby Dick Retail Store next to the Downtown Visitor Center...and tell them Judy Stone sent you. They have the BEST New Bedford sweatshirts around!
Want to work out in a local gym? I recommend ANYTIME FITNESS. It's on the other end of Buttonwood Park in the Shaw's Supermarket parking lot. They're open 24/7. They typically let you try it for free. The facility is always clean with a welcoming staff on weekdays during regular business hours.