The SpaceThis 250+-year-old gem has been fourteen years in the remaking. We saved every detail we could while still making it a comfortable, beautiful retreat with all the modern conveniences. It sits on 5.5 acres of woods, lawns, pond, and gardens. Perfect for business meetings, small events, retreats, reunions, get-away weekends with friends and families.
Dining and Cooking:
Cook together in the large well-stocked kitchen. Everyone loves our eat-in kitchen with wood-burning stove, two dishwashers, three sinks, expansive soapstone counter tops, large six-burner stove, and a sofa for relaxing. Propane grill just outside the kitchen door.
Eat together by candlelight at the large table in the mural-painted dining room (seats a cozy 16) -- or al fresco on the patio overlooking the pond.
Produce (in season):
Free-range in the vegetable/herb garden three steps from the kitchen door. Or walk down the street to the organic farm for produce and some groceries (Thurs-Sat. in season).
Parking on the grass compresses the soil -- in turn, damaging both tree roots and grass. Please keep all vehicles on the pavement and limit the number of parking spaces needed. We can easily accommodate five cars. There is room for a few more if some are blocked. Please do not park on the road.
Five and a half acres, including large lawns (front and back), tether ball, baseball diamond (of sorts), woods, pond, firepit and a collection of outdoor games.
Walk, run, bike, or cross-country ski on the twenty-four mile Wallkill Valley Rail Trail just a short walk through our woods.
A comfortably furnished screened in porch is perfect for warm evenings. In the winter, it houses fuel for the wood stove. The large, patio with gas grill, fire pit, large table (seats eight), and lounge furniture overlook the pond for meals or relaxing. On a clear night, we love taking a blanket out to the lounge chairs and watching the stars.
I have listed this as six, but technically it is five bedrooms with a very comfortable queen Murphy bed in the Library.
Bedrooms Downstairs 1-2*:
-QUEEN in DOWNSTAIRS MASTER: wide floorboards, exposed beams, en suite bath, candlelit two-person, Jacuzzi-style tub, it is also a bubble factory for kids.
-QUEEN: the second downstairs bedroom* is a comfortable Murphy bed in the Library (shares a bathroom)
Bedrooms Upstairs (4)
-DOUBLE bed (shares bathroom)
-TWO SINGLE beds (shares bathroom)
-QUEEN bed (shares bathroom)
-QUEEN in UPSTAIRS MASTER: a beautiful view of the pond, private sitting room, and en suite bath
One full bath and one half-bath downstairs. Two full baths upstairs (showers only).
The house comfortably sleeps 12.
We do small events. The maximum number of guests for any event: 30. No DJ or band. Amplified music must be at a reasonable level. Music and loud voices must end at 10:30. Limited parking. We love and respect our neighbors; we hope you will too.
The rope swing, tetherball, basketball rim, paddle boat, and canoe are fun for young and old alike. Kids (and adults) love building forts in the woods or playing baseball or tag in the front yard. Massive snow structures and creations can be built under the right conditions.
Abundant wildlife passes through the yard.
Check-in and Check-out:
We want your stay to be perfect -- that includes arrival and departure times that best meet your needs. Our standard times: 5 PM check-in and 11 AM check-out. If we don't have other guests scheduled the same day we will do our best to accommodate your wishes. Please let us know your preferred schedule in advance. We will greet our guests on arrival and show them around the house. It is old -- it can be quirky.
One-and-a-half hours north from NYC, New Paltz is a progressive and inclusive village surrounded by great natural beauty, culture, and history.
Here At Thornwood:
- Games, puzzles, “touch-me” shelf” for kids, and sports equipment available
- Pond: please watch young children -- swim at your own risk. Parents of small children should also be aware of the small fish-pond by the barn.
- Star constellations on the ceilings of two of the rooms -- invisible during the day, subtle at night. Ask for black light to intensify.
- The edge of our property is a well-used animal trail. We see deer, wild turkeys, foxes, groundhogs, opossums, and muskrats.
- Birders will enjoy the following: rose-breasted grosbeaks, pileated woodpeckers, yellow-shafted flickers, Baltimore orioles, goldfinches, purple finches, bluebirds, cardinals, house finches, house wrens, chickadees, red-bellied woodpeckers, downy and hairy woodpeckers, kingfishers, mallard ducks, wood ducks, hooded mergansers, red-winged blackbirds and more. Guest AccessPlease note: I have listed check-in and check-out times; however, if I have no one coming or leaving the same day as you, arrival and departure are completely flexible. Please ask.
For the most part, if it is here you are welcome to use it.
- Several other AirBnB homes on the street for overflow guests
- Seating for 16 in dining room
- Screen for projector
- Chalk Board
- Good Cell Service
- DVD player
- Wireless Internet
- Wireless Printer
- Bed and Bath Linens Provided
- Washer and Dryer
- Kitchen Food Basics: condiments, spices, salt, oil, flour, sugar. etc.
- Kitchen Garden and Herbs
- Woodstove in kitchen area
- Four Adult Bikes (One of our favorite Sunday morning adventures is riding to Rosendale for breakfast at the Alternative Baker.) Additional bikes for rent or loan are available in town.
- Dress-Up Box (more adults than kids use this)
- Paddle Boat, Canoe, and Life-Jackets (small pond)
- Craft Cabinet
- Booster chair
- Pack and Play
- Whiffle ball, Kickball, Softball Diamond in front yard (casual)
- Central A/C and Heat
- Shampoo, Conditioner, Dish and Hand Soap
- Irons and Ironing Boards
- Basketball Rim
- Area Hiking Maps
- Convection/Toaster Oven (no microwave)
- Outdoor Sports equipment and games
- Cooking Utensils, Mixing Bowls, Pots & Pans
- Flatware & Dishes
- Coffee Grinder, Mixer, Blender, Baking Tins, Food Processor, etc
- Coffee & Tea
- Coffee Maker (Drip)
- Piano (moderately in tune)
- Flatscreen TV
- DVD Collection
- Netflix, Showtime, and HBO
- Insect Repellent
- Rope Swing
- Wood for Fire Pit
- Guest Slippers Interaction with GuestsWe stay on the property in the barn. We work hard to find the perfect balance of being available for questions or needs, but at the same time, scarce. The NeighborhoodTHE AREA
New Paltz, located in the beautiful Mid-Hudson Valley. It sits on the banks of the Wallkill River in the shadow of the Shawangunk Mountains (The Gunks). Priding itself on being a progressive, inclusive, vibrant village, New Paltz offers natural beauty, antiquing, unique shopping, culture, diverse music, a strong arts community, historic sites, SUNY New Paltz, outdoor sports and creative restaurants staffed with Culinary Institute graduates.
Within walking distance of town, yet it still feels rural with an organic farm with a stand at the end of the street (in season).
Ten minutes to scenic preserves and parks offering hiking, swimming holes, spectacular vistas, and rock climbing. One hour north to skiing at several Catskill Ski Resorts.
The New Paltz area abounds with great shopping, restaurants, artists, festivals, culture, and history. It is also loved for its varied outdoor activities with everything from skydiving to world-class rock and ice climbing.
At the house, you will find an extensive collection of local brochures, maps, and information.
A few of our favorites:
-Historic Huguenot Street
-SUNY New Paltz
-Village of New Paltz
-The Dorsky Museum
-Walk to town for dinner.
-Within a 10-minute drive you can hike, bike, swim, climb, or cross-country ski in the Shawangunk Mountains
-Mohonk Preserve offers day passes.
-Visit the Mohonk Mountain House for lunch or a spa treatment and have access to the Mountain House for the day.
-Minnewaska State Park entrance is by the carload. Often free when not peak season.
-Local shopping and antiquing.
-An hour drive to downhill skiing.
-Paddle the Wallkill River -- input a quarter mile down the street. Kayaks often for rent.
-Take a day trip to Bethel Woods, site of the original Woodstock Concert and currently the site of a great museum and many great concerts.
-Many days worth of cultural and historic sites nearby - FDRs home and museum, Vanderbilt mansion, revolutionary war sites, Eleanor Roosevelt's home, much more.
-Paintballing one town south.
-Skydiving at The Ranch in Gardiner, NY. Beginners welcome to try a tandem jump.
-More great little towns in the area to explore.
-Visit local farms and farmers markets.
- Massage Therapist’s Studio next door featuring the new “Corestones” technique.
- Yoga, acupuncture, Pilates, and spas available in town.
- Guides for hiking, biking, wild edible walks, and rock and ice climbing available in town.
- Apple picking within walking distance (in season)
- Two community pools. Various local swimming holes depending on the season.
- Bikes, kayaks, cross-country skis, and snowshoe rentals available in town. Getting AroundPlane - Stewart Field in Newburgh, NY (SWF) is about 25 minutes away. The three New York City Airports (JFK, LGA, EWR) are about 1.5 hours from Thornwood.
Bus - Adirondack Trailways has service from NY Port Authority to New Paltz. The trip takes approximately 1.5 hours. We are five minutes from the bus station.
Car - Exit 18 on the New York Thruway (87) - We are five minutes from Exit 18.
Metro North and Amtrak - run to Poughkeepsie. There is a shuttle bus called the Ulster Link from the train station to New Paltz.
Taxis - There are several taxi services offering $5 or $6 taxi rides in and around New Paltz.
Local Buses - There is some limited local bus service around town and between area towns. Other Things to NoteIMPORTANT:
We have check-in and check-out times listed; however, if there is no one else booked at the beginning or end of your stay, our arrival and departure times are flexible. Please ask.
Please let us know the number of adults and the ages of all children. This allows us to better prepare for your stay with age-appropriate activities. We count children over 1 year.
Please err on the side of calling or texting with questions or concerns either before or during your stay. Do not hesitate, no question is too big or too small -- day or night. We want your stay to be perfect.