Elaia is a beautifully restored and extended house quietly situated near the centre of an authentic, living Cyprus village. Two bedrooms are available for rent. Both are on the first floor and are en suite. One has a double bed, the other two singles. The owners use the third bedroom. The bedrooms are independent of each other and guests are free to use all other facilities - lounge, kitchen and courtyard as they wish. We look forward to welcoming and looking after our guests in the best possible way!
Elaia is in the Nicosia area, in the village of Lythrodontas, a picturesque village on the eastern edge of Troodos with a backdrop of hills and mountains with pine trees, olive trees and aromatic wild herbs.
Elaia is just a hundred metres from the leafy village square, yet tucked away to offer a secluded, private courtyard with upper and lower patios, quality patio furniture, peaceful, and beautiful with its scented jasmines and other Mediterranean plants. You can enjoy a drink at the village square kafeneion/ Cafes just a minute's walk away. A corner shop is only two minutes from the house.
The balconies offer another spot to retreat and relax with mountain views. Accommodation is spacious and is ideal for groups of friends as well as families. Children can have lots of fun with supervision as the house is exciting and so different for them. Please note there are balconies and stairs around the property.
There is very easy access to amenities including a well stocked supermarket, four restaurants / takeaways. The village has also a doctor, a chemist and a petrol station.
Swimming pool within 5km open June, July and August. Beaches: Larnaca 40mins drive, Governors Beach 50mins, Protaras 60mins.
We give a discount of 20% on the displayed price for 2 guests booking. The bedrooms and kitchen can be heated with 'split units', (which in the summer provide the air conditioning), at no extra cost. Firewood can be provided for the dichori-lounge fireplace at 10 euros for a container. Central heating is also available for ÂŁ8 a day if wished. All other utility costs are included in the price.
Price is for 7 nights for 4 people. We give a discount of 20% on the displayed price for 2 guests booking. The bedrooms and kitchen can be heated with 'split units', (which in the summer provide the air conditioning), at no extra cost. Firewood can be provided for the dichori-lounge fireplace at 10 euros for a container. Central heating is also available for ÂŁ8 a day if wished. All other utility costs are included in the price.
Lythrodontas is a thriving village, nestled on the foothills of the eastern edge the Troodos mountain range, in the Nicosia district, and only a half hour drive from Nicosia, the capital. The village is surrounded by olive groves and pine trees as the hinterland rises gradually to the mountains. Local amenities include: Swimming pool in the area is within 5km (June, July, August) at Ktima Alexiou. (Then at Dhali 10km and 15km at Latsia) Please ask us or ask locally if interested. The nearest beach at Larnaka is about 35 minutes drive. The village square with its traditional cafes. The kiosk (“periptero”) by the village square sells milk, cans of drink and a limited range of food, newspapers and magazines. The main supermarket is on the right of the main road as you drive into the village, about 400 metres before the village square. This stocks a large range of food and household goods, as well as alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. Opening hours are: Every day: 5h00 to 22h00. Fresh bread and local pastries are also available at the supermarket.
- Vegetable and fruit market – there is a local vegetable and fruit market on Tuesdays 100m from the village square on the main road. The supermarket has also deals on fresh produce on Tuesdays. There are three restaurants/tavernas which also do takeaway, all within walking distance. These serve local dishes such as “souvlaki” – small cubes of grilled meat / kebab, served in pitta bread with salad and meze dishes and more. They are 'Erythrodontas', To Steki tou Marinou, Doozy, and 'Ela na this' (only 60 seconds walk from Elaia). Between Lythrodontas and Mathiatis village the Millennium Futbal sports area, between the two villages, is a restaurant with an excellent local chef, Giorgos. His speciality is “meze” – a succession of perhaps 15 small dishes so you need to go hungry... check latest status with Chris in case Giorgos moves elsewhere! Kapedes- The village of Kapedes is a 15 minute drive north west of Lythrodontas. There's quite a large restaurant, the Acropolis, with lovely views.
- Nicosia Old Town (inside the old city walls)
Nicosia is about 25 minutes away but contains a number of good restaurants in the old town. Some of these are on and around Onasagorou Street which runs parallel to the well known but rather touristy Lidras Street.
- The village also has a petrol station, a bank, a doctor and a chemist.
Activities in and from the village
- Explore the village and meet the friendly local people
- Go for countryside walks, including on the European long-distance path E4 (eg. the Lefkothea nature trail a couple of miles outside the village on the road to Lefkara.)
- Visit the old and the new church with its hand-painted murals and icons in the village
- Have a drink and watch the world go by in the traditional 'Kaffeneion'(cafe) in the charming village square.
- Go horse-riding (by arrangement)
- Make day trips to the beach, nearest Larnaca, 35km, for swimming and watersports. Ayia Napa and Protaras are only an hour's drive away.
- Visit other places of interest on the island (we have plenty of guides at the house). Several guests have told us that staying at Lythrodontas is ideal for visits to the whole island.
- Explore old Nicosia - only 30 minutes easy drive.
Lythrodontas is a busy and authentic Cypriot village with friendly local people – the charming, leafy village square (only 100 metres from Elaia) is a truly unhurried and relaxing place to enjoy sun and shade, chatting and gazing, sip a beer, coffee or have an ice-cream. At the side is the small older church, and close by a corner shop, banks, and good takeaways – very good souvlaki! A well stocked supermarket is only 10 minutes walk from the square.
The new church with its extensive hand painted wall and ceiling murals a few minutes walk from the square is worth visiting.
The climate is sunny, dry and warm for most of the year averaging 25 degrees in the spring and autumn, 15 degrees in the winter and 35 degrees in the summer months.