The SpaceThis large 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house was built in 2010 to house the vineyard owners.
- three large bedrooms (all towels, linens, and pillows provided)
- off-grid solar power and spring water - functions like a typical house, but much more eco-friendly
- wide 360 degree porch with beautiful views of the surrounding forests, valleys, and vineyard
- three futon couches that can be made up into beds for extra sleeping space
- free wifi
- 3D smart TV (no cable but access to Netflix), DVD player, and Nintendo Wii
- full kitchen with gas stove and oven and a dishwasher (no breakfast, but salt, pepper, a selection of spices, olive oil, sugar, coffee, and small selection of tea provided)
- large soaking tub in the huge master suite
- outdoor propane grill
- 2 wood-burning fireplaces (for use in winter only, firewood provided)
- pond for swimming, floating, and cooling off in the summer (a couple of floats and several beach towels are available)
- laundry washer and dryer (soap provided)
- hiking/walking paths
- option for wine tasting and guided vineyard and/or winery tours
Also on the property is a yurt than Chris and Nickie lived in before the house was completed. This yurt area is now occupied by caretakers who take care of the vineyard. We ask that you respect their privacy. Guest AccessGuests can access the property within the tall fence, which encloses about 15 acres of woods and vineyard land. However, we ask that guests respect the privacy of the caretaker and stay away from the yurt clearing.
In the main house, guests have access to all areas except the basement, where winery equipment and wine are stored, and some storage areas, which are locked. Guests may use all appliances and amenities in the house, including the fully equipped kitchen. There are some display items that should not be used, and these are labeled as such. Guests can also relax, dine, and enjoy the view on the huge porch encircling the entire house. Interaction with GuestsYou will be greeted by Chris and Nickie and/or our onsite caretakers, Michael and Maria. Please let us know approximately what time you will arrive. Chris and Nickie and/or our caretaker will be available by phone, text, or email during your stay. Please limit your calls to daytime, except in the case of an emergency.
Wine and Wine Tasting. Terragena is a working vineyard and winery. If you would like to explore our handcrafted wines, please consider scheduling a tasting by contacting us. Our tasting fee is $10 per person (or per tasting, if sharing a tasting) to taste all of our available wines. We gladly credit this fee towards the purchase of two or more bottles of our wine. All tastings include an optional vineyard and winery tour. Houseguests receive a 5% discount on all wine purchased during their stay, on top of any other discounts. Our allocation list members receive an additional 10% off all wine purchases, and there is a 10% discount on all cases of wine as well. You can purchase Terragena wines from us during your stay or on our website (search for terragenavineyard). The NeighborhoodOne of the great things about this property is its remoteness; it provides an excellent retreat from a busy life. There are neighbors nearby, but most people come up to this area for the tranquility and space. Guests should respect the privacy of neighbors.
Nearby attractions include Humboldt Redwoods State Park, the Eel River (great for swimming, fishing, and kayaking), the Lost Coast, and several wineries. Getting AroundThere is no local public transportation, and guests should plan to take a car to and from the property. Local attractions are also best accessed by car. Part of the drive includes a gravel road, but a four wheel drive vehicle is not needed. In the winter, it is advisable to carry chains or snow tires for any vehicle. Other Things to NoteOur house is a bit out of the way; that's the whole point for us. You will likely want to go grocery shopping before getting up to the house. Also, please be very careful on the local roads. Many of them are winding and have steep drop-offs. We are located approximately 30 minutes from the nearest towns and 25 minutes from the Avenue of the Giants.