It seems magical to hear the incoming surf crashing on the beach in the silence of the night, or day. We have wondrous views of the Pacific & Jaltemba Bay but our villa compound with its two separate rentals is located on a hill a km away.
BREATHTAKING VIEWS plus unobstructed Pacific breezes all day long.
A BEAUTIFUL SECURE COMPOUND with two rentals & the owner's villa. Two weeks minimum for all months except January & February which have a one month minimum. Have a joyous coastal vacation in a festive authentic Mexican town - idyllic winter weather - glorious Pacific sunsets. Private setting for each rental.
La PENITA is on the lush Mexican Riviera, 40 miles N of the Puerto Vallarta Airport (we can arrange airport pickup). This is a SECURE private compound filled with flowers, palms, & bougainvilleas & a small refuge for birds & other small wildlife.
Few pesky flying insects in the winter season. EASY WALK to THE BEACH, SHOPS, ATM etc. A "mini-super" is just around the corner. The low food prices for produce or fresh fish - or gourmet dining - add to La Penita's charm!
HOLIDAY SPECIAL: November or December discount for up to 5 persons in the 2 bdrm villa (Mariposa) or 2 in Seabreeze. Mariposa Villa is picturesque & sheer FUN to live in. See our 16 photos including amenities.
Both rentals open onto a beautiful inner courtyard with large POOL, gardens, & a 2nd story PALAPA (sheltered deck) with breathtaking views of exquisite Jaltemba Bay & the glorious Pacific sunsets - a great hillside location. You can hear the incoming surf in the night.
THE INTERIOR has a large great room with small bedroom for 2 on the main level, and 3 steps up to an extra large kitchen, large bath, and large bedroom area for 3 persons, a double bed & a twin bed. Kitchen has new large fridge, gas stove top, & all the small appliances
DRY SEASON: November to May - Sunny skies with a range of 62F (17C) while sleeping to a mid-day high of 70-80F (27C), tempered by a cooling Pacific breeze all day long.
SHORT WALK TO TOWN: just 7 short blocks from "La Avenida", a boulevard lined with fascinating shops & restaurants run by local Mexicans. One huge produce store runs bushels of fruits & veggies right onto the sidewalk!
SUPERB DINING choices - We have unequaled fine dining with great ambiance - to colorful taco stands.
MARIPOSA VILLA is a COLORFUL LARGE Mexican design with 2 bdrm areas, large kitchen completely outfitted with all the small appliances known to man except a crock pot! The great room has several views in the photo section. The bath has a large shower as well as a 30" high shelf unit. Beds for five persons & an extra inflatable twin. One cozy bedroom area has a full size bed, beautiful wicker armoire, leather chair & mirrors. The larger bedroom area has both a double and twin bed, separated by a divider, clothes closet, large chest, night stands, & large mirror.
SMOKING. Allowed on a small private porch behind Mariposa Villa.
FULL TIME HANDY MAN / CARETAKER & TWICE WEEKLY MAID SERVICE which includes a change of sheets & towels & general cleaning. (Sorry, washing dishes not included!)
LA PENITA has SCORES OF INTRIGUING SHOPS & as many services as found in a small city: A GREAT VARIETY OF RESTAURANTS, 2 banks, ATMs, hospital, modern dental clinic, bus stations with large modern buses, 2 taxi stands, cambio (currency exchange), rodeo arena and a huge Thursday AM open air market, largest on the coast - it includes the work of a variety of outstanding jewelry artisans. We can boast a wonderful family 'doctora'' just 3 blocks away. Just one block more to the crest of our hill is a vast agricultural valley with a range of the Sierra Madre as a backdrop. It has smooth dirt roads for safe BICYCLING or HORSEBACK RIDING from a nearby corral. AND just 2 short blocks around our corner is an internet shop (bi-lingual) & a 'mini-super' with all the staples.
TOTAL PRIVACY & SECURITY - TALL WALLS laden with bougainvilleas surround our compound. Hosts LIBBY & JERRY have created a "most beautiful private world". They take great pleasure assisting guests with restaurants & events with the goal of a.wonderful Mexican experience. Flowers everywhere, JUNGLE REFUGE, large sparkling POOL, and a large upper deck or PALAPA with great views of the bay, villages, beaches, & a unique island with marvelous snorkeling.
"PALAPA". This guest favorite is a story above the private inner courtyard, for dining, socializing, great views, sunning, card games, GLORIOUS SUNSETS, and unlimited free wi-fi.
Most guests prefer to "LIVE OUTSIDE", dining or socializing at their private outside table or up on the Palapa. Read, nap, play cards, or breakfast at sunrise surrounded by views of the Pacific, the bay, gardens, or the birds at the BIRD FEEDING STATION each AM with names & info supplied by host, Jerry, while you have your morning coffee with closeup views while on the Palapa.
COMPLEMENTARY NATURE WALKS. Join Jerry on his famous "educational & entertaining" local nature walks. His post graduate background is in zoology and botany. We led natural history tours to Costa Rica & Peru during our teaching years. Be sure to bring good binoculars.
DEPOSIT: 40% (CAD or USD), or 30% USD for 2 months or more. We email instructions for the deposit into The Bank of Nova Scotia & can confirm within 24 hours.
When confirmed, we email "PRE-ARRIVAL INFO" with check list, airport pickup , web sites, & important info on medications & use of ATM etc.
Before or upon your arrival, we give you "BEST DIVERSIONS & EXCURSIONS". We name favorite dining, specialties, prices & directions.
We have two special excursions led by Jerry from our villa and an excursion to hot springs led by our caretaker,, complete with BBQ lunch.
BALANCE: Due on arrival. Cash or traveler's checks, USD. You can cash dollars & traveler's checks for pesos at our local 'deposito', a currency exchange.
SUMMER SPECIAL... FULL MONTH ONLY - 20% DISCOUNT, no children under 10 yrs..
(1) A BEAUTIFUL LOCATION in a residential neighborhood high on a hill in La Penita de Jaltemba.
(2) IDYLLIC WINTER WEATHER ....
(3) BREATHTAKING VIEWS of Jaltemba Bay lined by beaches, cliffs, and foothills with jungle right down to the ocean's edge ....
(4) TOTALLY SAFE to WALK IN TOWN DAY OR NIGHT, or the side streets. No guest has ever been bothered - or even whistled at!
(5) MANY EXCELLENT RESTAURANTS from ultra fine dining with ambiance equal to 2 star dining in France! - To rustic Mexican restaurants & taco stands. Wherever you dine, try the flan. (Libby is hooked!) We keep you posted on any special music or dancing included while you dine! The neighboring town of Rincon de Guayabitos, reachable by taxi for $3 or a unique "hand bridge" across the river, is great for music & dining as well.
(4) GLORIOUS PACIFIC SUNSETS .... see photos
(5) A PRIVATE VILLA COMPOUNDM surrounded by a high wall festooned with colorful bougainvilleas ....
(6) QUIET with very little traffic ....
(7) A mixed neighborhood in a picturesque village with all the amenities you would find in a small city: Hospital, banks, ATM, modern dental clinic. ....
(8) Staples round the corner: A 'mini-super' & an internet cafe ....
(9) An outstanding FAMILY PHYSICIAN lives nearby & makes house calls when needed ....
(10) Just a few blocks downhill is a large high quality produce stand, a tortilla factory, taco stands, hardware store, & other intriguing shops. ....
(11) "LA AVENIDA", the 'business district', is a boulevard with benches on a wide median strip, and that starts just 5 blocks away and runs straight to our La Penita Beach. It is lined with all kinds of fascinating shops, run by Mexican families. The nearby rodeo arena hosts an annual first class circus, horse shows, AND the high school marching band practices there regularly several evenings a week, easily heard on our hill, a TREAT TO LISTEN TO in the night .....
(12} Our LA PENITA BEACH is famous for its clean silky golden sand. No hotels were allowed to build on this beach so the water is especially clean...
You can SURF the waves or SNORKEL off the large island in the bay, "better than the Australian Reefs" according to guests.....
(13} An ELEGANT MANSION with B&B; (up one block to the hill crest) serves 'elegant' Saturday & Sunday brunches. It overlooks the bay & Pacific on one side and the rear side overlooks a huge agricultural valley with horseback riding from a corral & bicycling on smooth dirt roads.....
(14) PARKING inside the villa walls is totally secure & it's safe to leave your car street side. NO vandalism in 14 years & we frequently leave our own car out overnight.
(15) TAXIS are a 5 minute wait, cost 25 pesos (about $2+) for 2 persons anywhere in La Penita. $3 to Guayabitos. There is a 2nd TAXI STAND NEAR THE BEACH, making it handy to get back to our villa after a long beach walk or when laden down with groceries or treasures from the open air market on Thursday.
(16) WHALE WATCH in the bay from a boat. We can see Humpbacks spout and flip from our Palapa.
A bus station & major taxi stand are 6 blocks from our villa, just off the coastal highway. In addition, 'combi' vans can drop you off at a superb yoga center in Guayabitos, a coffee shop close to the ocean, or a 'hamburger cafe"' with a huge book swap (great hamburgers & mango smoothies).