The SpaceThis is a 250 year old federal home on 47 acres of woods/wildlife habitat which is rurally isolated. This is not a clinical environment; each time you walk outside you will track something back in-soil, gravel, grass, etc.
- We have a bit of ancient plumbing, most pipes have been replaced, and the wait for a plumber can be very long. We ask that guests flush gently. - We are VERY environmentally conscious. All homes here have artesian wells- different from dug wells which do not provide potable water-and the Dresden water table is excellent. Still, given the burgeoning water crisis, we ask that guests try to conserve water- still, long hot showers and baths are available!
- We have ZERO tolerance for the use of poison of any kind because it will eventually impact our groundwater. This means you may have a few friendly visitors from our field mouse and insect population.
- Fully equipped farm kitchen with Bosch dishwasher, and Bosch gas stove, excellent cookware, and lovely dinnerware;
- Laundry room with washer and dryer & half bath;
- Upstairs bath with tub, shower and special soaps, bath salts, shampoo.
- Three large bedrooms (2 dbl; 1 single); sheets, blankets, etc. provided,
- Room with desk for writing, painting, sculpture, yoga, etc
- Paper towels and toilet paper are provided for your entire visit;
- We suggest that you provided use cloth napkins we provide to cut down on paper use;
- Large screen TVs in master bedroom for use with the DVD player; no WIFI or TV service;
- Simply, elegantly furnished; additional chairs are available if you ask; Guest AccessLast minute reservations are welcome. When you arrive in the driveway---
1. Text me I will meet you within a few minutes;
2. I'll tour the house with you to show how everything works and to help you settle in.
3. You will have access to the point via private land, a peninsula on Merrymeeting Bay where adult and juvenile eagles perch to hunt fish and game.
3. I'll also show you how to access Merrymeeting Bay (on the Atlantic flyway) via private and public land.
There is all around easy access to wildlife habitat, local organic farms and the historic towns of Bath, Wiscasset, Damariscotta, Boothbay Harbor. Interaction with GuestsPrivacy is very important to our guests, but I'm available as needed - to greet you upon arrival, show you around, answer questions, and make certain that you have everything you need. The NeighborhoodThe area is quiet, beautiful, very rural and located close to the Kennebec River and Merrymeeting Bay. Easy access to local towns, villages with cafes, bookstores, art galleries, fresh food, local seafood. Summer is beautiful and a great time for walking in the woods, bird watching, listening to the many owls on the property. Getting AroundCentrally located to all towns and villages of Midcoast Maine. No public transportation in area. Limo and taxi service available from Portland Jetport which is an hour from the retreat.
I can give as much help or as little as you would like with recommendations for the highlights of the area you won't want to miss, for example. the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, Popham Beach State Park, Reid State Park, local indie bookstores and art galleries, and much more. On occasion I have had coffee with guests, reviewed their itinerary and made new suggestions they had not thought about. Each guest has different needs and I am happy to help however I can. Other Things to Note-Note re water: Occasionally there is rust in the water and you may see a rust spot on our white, super-absorbent spa towels
- Windows are fragile and some are close to original; I'll explain how to open and close easily;
- The Retreat provides access to trails on private land which will take you directly to Merrymeeting Bay where there is abundant wildlife and birds, including eagles.
- Remember to bring your binoculars and cameras! The eagles are awesome-as many as twenty-two nesting pairs on the Bay. Other birds abound including raptors, pheasant, woodcock, ducks, geese, terns, osprey (on the Bay) and song birds;