Seigneurial fief of the great families from Auvergne, the Saint-Amant fortress was built at the 12th century and is characterized by a unusual neo-gothic architecture.
This historical chateau has kept medieval looks that is why it becomes Historical Monument since 1999 thanks to its unique Library, its convenient small living room and its Bedroom of Troubadours.
The castle offers an ideal setting for families, collaborators or groups of friends, as well as to weddings of up to 200 people or other events, and its 800 square meters surface area is composed of 13 main rooms on 3 floors. The 9 bedrooms allow to host groups up to 15 persons.
The gardens are arranged into 2 parts :
- The Eastern terrace, in the central courtyard, is perfect to be in a quiet place and enjoy a lunch under an old oak tree, overlooking the chateau and surrounded by stone gargoyles and hydrangeas.
- The Southern terrace, with its kitchen garden and its orchard, offers a wonderful overview on Saint-Amant-Tallende village, at the edges of the Monne river and of the Puy de Saint-Sandoux.
This castle is located at the heart of the village of Saint-Amant-Tallende in the Auvergne region, in the Puy de Dôme department.
On the borders of volcanic massifs and the Gergovie plateau, where took place the famous battle in Gallic victory, the castle is surrounded by a rich countryside and heritage characterized by undulating landscapes, geological aspects and iced lakes.
20 minutes from Clermont-Ferrand, county seat of the department, and close to the picturesque village of Saint-Saturnin, the castle, close to the downtown of Saint-Amant will permit you to find all the necessary shops and local businesses you might need during your stay.
Experiences not to miss during your stay :
- Buy a piece of regional cheeses, Saint-Nectaire and Fourme d'Ambert at local markets of of Champeix or Cournon-d'Auvergne (12km).
- Visit the most beautiful roman churches of the region particularly in Saint-Saturnin (2 km), Saint-Nectaire (15km), Orcival (19km).
- Take a stroll along the streets of Clermont-Ferrand and discover its cathedral Notre Dame de l'Assomption, its industrial history with the Aventure Michelin museum and its crafts with the Grande Coutellerie (18 km).
- Spend a moment in the Royat-Chamalières thermal baths (19 km).
- Try the regional cuisine and taste the truffade or the aligot at the Hutte Gauloise restaurant (20 km).
- Discover the region and its volcanoes, by bike or by walk, along the Chaine des Puys and explore their history going to Vulcania Park, at Saint Ours-Lès-Roches (40 km).