The SpaceWelcome to the “Colibri Lake Cabin – Cabaña de Los Abuelos”, situated on a hillside overlooking a lush, green valley beside Lake Yojoa. Our premises offer not only a wonderful sunset view, but also a very private and secure area with a gated entrance for your safety.
This cabin has 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, and an outside porch. The bedroom and bathroom are equipped with air conditioner and hot running water for your comfort, and, the porch serves as the perfect place to relax on a hammock whilst reading a book or listening to the birds around the cabin. Aside from this, you can also go to the deck, which is available for you inside our premises, to enjoy the lake views and the most amazing sunsets.
Rene, the person who takes care of the property, lives on ground with his wife and son. His wife will be preparing an exquisite honduran breakfast with includes refried beans, fried plantain, avocado, sour cream and cheese. They are always willing to help in any way they can to make your vacation and stay with us a great one.
If this cabin isn't available for your desired dates, please view our other cabin that is on the same property.
We also have a coffee farm about 40 minutes away from the cabin, where we offer you a coffee tour, the chance to pet several animals on the property, and enjoy a delicious and traditional red or black bean soup for lunch. We also offer trail tours in case you are looking for a greater adventure. If you would like our help in arranging any tours for you, such as: fishing, canopying, and more, please let us know!
Come stay with us and enjoy the natural beauty of Lake Yojoa and the tranquility of its vicinity.
Andrea Getting AroundFrom San Pedro Sula get a bus to La Guama (L44, three hours, more than 20 daily) from the main terminal and hope off at “La Guama.” This stop is 10minutes away from the cabins, we can arrange transportation for 5$.
From Tegucigalpa, there's a direct daily bus to Peña Blanca from the Mercado Mama Chepa in Comayagüela, which leaves at 1pm daily (L145, four hours). Ask for the bus going to Las Vegas, Santa Barbara and tell the driver where you wish to get off. This stop is 10minutes away from the cabins, we can arrange transportation for 5$. Other Things to NoteHere are some of the activities that Lake Yojoa offers to its visitors:
- Famous fried fish: A special dish from this area. It is typically served with fried plantain and a whole deep fried fish. There are a lot of restaurants with a lake view around 15 minutes away from the cabin.
- Eco Archaeological Park Los Naranjos (20min away from cabin): On the northwest side of the lake, this park was first occupied around 1300 BC, and is thought to be the largest Preclassic-era Lenca archaeological site. The ruins themselves are not terribly interesting: they’re made of clay, so have been only semi-excavated, to protect them from environmental damage. The main reason to visit, however, is the wildlife. The park has 6km of trails that wind through the forest over hanging bridges and on a lakeside boardwalk, providing fantastic opportunities for birdwatching.
- Cerro Azul Meambar National Park (20min away from cabin): East of Lake Yojoa, this well-maintained national park boasts kilometers of trails leading to waterfalls, caves and untouched cloud forest. There's also a visitors center, lodge and restaurant here. The entrance is via a turnoff from La Guama on the main CA-5 highway. Frequent pickups head to Santa Elena; from there, walking to the park’s PANACAM Lodge takes about one hour.
- Pulhapanzak Waterfalls (20min away from cabin): This magnificent 43m waterfall on the Río Lindo is just 17km north of Lake Yojoa (and also an easy day trip from San Pedro Sula). Surrounded by lush forests, a privately run beauty spot, where guides will lead you along a path directly behind the waterfall. There's top-notch swimming and zip lining (L500) right across the main body of the falls. Take an extra outfit with you if you do the cave tour, and be aware that it can get crowded here on weekends. All in all, a visit to the Pulhapanzak Waterfalls is perfect for a hot day under the Honduran sun.
- D&D Brewery (20min away from cabin): Besides offering craft beers brewed right on the premises, this restaurant also offers excellent food – try the blueberry pancakes, the burgers and the sumptuous chicken enchiladas. The local coffee is also fabulously smooth and service doesn't get much friendlier anywhere in Honduras.
- Parque Nacional Santa Bárbara (30min away from cabin): it's an isolated national park containing Honduras’ second-highest peak, Montaña de Santa Bárbara (2744m), plus extensive cloud forest rich in orchids and epiphytes. It's a wonderful place to explore, and though it's a tough hike to the summit you have a very good chance of seeing quetzals on the mountainside – for many, the main reason to visit.
- Taulabe Caves (40min away from cabin): Around 20km south of the Lake Yojoa is the entrance to the Cuevas de Taulabé, a network of underground caves with unusual stalactite and stalagmite formations. So far, the caves have been explored to a depth of 12km with no end in sight. The first section of the caves has lights and a (sometimes slippery) cement pathway: wear appropriate shoes.