The SpaceIf you are looking for somewhere special to stay in one of the most ruggedly beautiful areas of Tasmania look no further than Wildwood Retreat!
Wildwood Retreat is a beautifully appointed fully self contained one bed luxury apartment that offers city comfort in a stunning rural setting!
Wildwood retreat lies in its own private kingdom surrounded by 50 acres of pristine native Eucalypt forest (on 3 sides) in the bucolic idyll of Koonya that lies on the banks of cascade Bay on the spectacular Tasman Peninsula.
The retreat enjoys stunning views over rolling pasture to Cascade Bay and Norfolk Inlet with mountain backdrop. A 'perfect picture box scene' where the light and mood changes constantly!
The retreat adjoins Wildwood (our home) BUT is fully self contained and enjoys its own private driveway, garden area and entry so guests can relax and come and go at their leisure. Importantly, there are only two of us the vast majority of the time and so its very peaceful ..... you won't even know we are there!
The retreat bedroom is extremely spacious with floor to ceiling windows. There is a Kingsize Bed, BIR, contemporary desk and leather recliner. The bedroom also has a generous sized ensuite with underfloor heating, quality towels and soaps, heated towel rails, free standing bath and walk in shower. A hairdryer and robes are also provided. NOTE: The retreat is designed as a couples retreat however does have a double sofa bed in the upper level living area for an occasional extra guest. Though we provide a mattress topper for the sofa bed it will not offer the same level of comfort as a proper bed.
There is a beautiful modern stainless steel and timber spiral staircase in the retreat lobby/entry area that leads guests up to the spacious contemporary open plan living/kitchen/dining area on the second level.
The upper level living area has floor to ceiling windows that offer spectacular views of pasture, pristine forest and Cascade Bay in the near distance. Guests will feel as if they are literally floating amongst the treetops - a perfect place to relax, de-stress and commune with nature!
The kitchen has stone bench tops, quality stainless steel appliances including a Smeg Oven and cooktop, a coffee machine, fridge/freezer, microwave and dishwasher. The kitchen is extremely well equipped and provisions include quality coffee and tea plus a generous range of pantry basics.
The open plan living/kitchen/dining area has dining seating for up to 4 guests and a two 2 1/2 seater sofas one of which is a sofa bed (double). There is a flat screen TV and DVD and Bose Music system with i-pod connection, plus DVD library, magazines and a small selection of games.
Wildwood Retreat also offers free Wi-Fi. Quality towels and Linen are supplied. Original art works also feature at the property.
Wildwood Retreat enjoys a 7 star energy rating. The property is clad on the exterior in stunning spotted gum sourced sustainably interstate. Its entry door is bespoke and has been constructed using recycled timbers.
Prolific bird and wildlife can be viewed direct from the property.
Guests are expected to bring their own provisions as the property has its own kitchen and cooking facilities. However a breakfast hamper may be available subject to availability at an extra cost (conditions apply).
The retreat is not suitable for people with disabilities or serious physical challenges. The area around the immediate property is relatively flat, however beyond the garden area the land is steep, the ground uneven, there is an open dam, unfenced stone terraces and stone steps to negotiate.
Special care needs to be taken in Tasmania's wild places! Guest AccessGuests have their own parking area, garden area and entry area and will exclusive use of the retreat. There is also a small shared deck area that we have screened with plants.
Guests access the retreat with their own key that is kept in a key safe. The code will be emailed or texted just before your stay. Guests can come and go as they please ... Interaction with GuestsWe have included heaps of information and recommendations of things to do and places to visit and are most happy to talk further to our guests about that when they arrive if they wish! Our guests comfort, privacy and happiness however is of the utmost importance to us! If we are here we would of course love to greet you but we are often away or working and so this may not always be possible. If we miss your arrival we won't disturb you unnecessarily, but please send us a text (or we will text you) to ensure that you are happy and that you have everything you need! We want absolutely to promote a sense of peace and seclusion and privacy at Wildwood and appreciate some guests may not wish to interact! If guests do - that is fabulous too, but we leave that decision in our guests hands! The NeighborhoodWildwood Retreat is situated in a beautiful and private rural/wilderness location. Koonya lies on the Port Arthur Tourist route and is about a 15 minute drive to both Port Arthur and Eagle Hawk Neck and local facilities in Nubeena. Koonya is central to accessing ALL activities and facilities.
Many tourists choose to just do a day tour to Port Arthur Historic Site and they miss out hugely for there are many wonderful things to do here on the Tasman Peninsula. Here are some of my suggestions:
1. Visit Port Arthur Historic Site (perhaps even a ghost tour!)
2. Visit the Coal Mines Historic Site at Saltwater River … its much smaller than Port Arthur but is also interesting and free and is in a beautiful location!
3. Take an award winning boat trip with Pennicott Wilderness Tours that explores the coast from Eaglehawk Neck to Tasman Island: see seal colonies, giant kelp forests, whales (in season), albatross, sea eagles, the famous Totem Pole and the highest cliffs in the southern hemisphere.
4. Visit Port Arthur Lavender: browse the gift shop, then have a spot of lunch whilst enjoying stunning views of the inlet
5. Take a class at or visit the award-winning Mchenry Distillery at Port Arthur
6.. Take lunch at Garbielle's on the Bay at Taylor, Port Arthur OR award-winning Dunalley Waterfront Cafe and Gallery a 30 min drive away!
7. Explore Pirates Bay and other sites at Eaglehawk Neck including the rare geological formation of the Tesselated pavements, the convict 'Dog Line' and Officers quarters museum. Drive through the quirky doo town on your way to see the Devils Arch, Waterfall look out and the Blow Hole or enjoy some of the best fish and chips in Tasmania at "Doolishus".
8. Explore Tasman National Park - including the beautiful Fortescue Bay a large section of the Three Capes Walking Track offering sensational walks and views (2 phases now complete).
9. Explore the many coves and beaches on the peninsula including Safety Cove, Remarkable Caves, Stewarts Bay, Lime Bay and Sloping Main.
10. Enjoy some deep sea fishing or diving amongst the giant sea kelp forests
11. Para glide from the aerie at EagleHawk Neck - where many visitors and locals have seen (subject to the right conditions) the southern lights
12. Visit the Tasmanian Devil Park, Fudge Factory and local museum in Taranna
13. Just sit back, relax and de-stress with a glass of wine whilst enjoying the stunning views from the property …bliss! Getting AroundGuests will need their own vehicle. Public Transport is virtually non existent. There is a taxi service - Brian based in Murdunna and he is a blossom. Other Things to NoteWe are battling the native fur balls with respects to our new landscaping and the extended area on the land and driveway in is still being landscaped, however this will NOT impact on your stay, private areas or enjoyment of the property.