The SpaceThe moment you turn down our quiet cul-de-sac, you'll feel as if you’ve escaped to a far-away retreat...but all the amenities you need are just a walk away.
Our 2,500sf, two-level home consists of three baths, five bedrooms, a large art studio, a living room with media area, a full kitchen, dining room, laundry room and sunroom with infrared sauna. There's plenty of space to gather and socialize.
Outdoors you'll find a covered deck overlooking a small clearing surrounded by cedars and firs. If you follow the path down past the cozy firepit, you'll find little trails to follow amongst the trees. The 1,500sf enclosed sandy area is the perfect place to set up a games area or put up some tents for extra guests. Guest AccessThe price listed will accommodate up to 8 guests with access to:
- The kitchen and dining room with full fridge, glass-top stove, microwave, dishwasher, large dining table, and fully stocked coffee and tea bar. Also provided are spices and condiments, cookware and serving-ware. Guests are expected to provide their own food and tidy up after themselves, unless otherwise arranged.
- The livingroom and media area, complete with woodstove, TV, DVD and BluRay player with over 100 movies, an original Nintendo system with several games, cards and boardgames, and a professional fooseball table.
- The Sunroom with skylights and a gorgeous green view of the backyard. An infrared sauna, single daybed and coffee nook make it the perfect place to relax and enjoy a morning tea or an evening glass of wine.
- Two full bathrooms. We suggest enjoying the guest bath upstairs with its rain shower head and deep soaker tub.
- Our two acre property, including a firepit with a lovely view of the night sky. With some notice, we can provide free firewood and kindling...or even get your fire started for you!
Sleeping accommodations include:
- The Beach Guest Room, located upstairs, comfortably sleeps two, with a luxury pillow-top queen bed. This is the perfect room for the guest(s) of honour.
- The Study, directly next to the Beach Guest Room, can be used as a sitting room with couch and is the perfect place to set up a crib. Otherwise, it can accommodate two on an extremely plush double-high queen aerobed or one or two single people on twin comfy foam mattresses.
- The Retro Room, across from The Office, is a cozy little room with a skylight for a view of the stars with a double bed. Complete with antique furniture and a vintage feel.
- The Music Room, located downstairs, can sleep two in the wonderfully comfortable pillow-top queen bed. The room has an eclectic boho feel, and includes a digital grand piano, guitar, banjo, djembe and other various instruments for your music-making pleasure.
**Plush shower towels and organic toiletries are provided.
We have several other options for accommodating more guests and/or providing extra common space. Please see the "Other Things to Note" section for more details.
____________________________________________________________________________ Interaction with GuestsWe are a social and friendly couple in our early 30's who love to entertain, but also understand the importance of privacy.
We will be in the home throughout the majority of your visit to provide you with anything you might need. We have our own master suite, including a private bath and sitting area, but we'll share the common areas with you.
We are more than happy to make your acquaintance and entertain you as much as you'd like to be entertained. However, if you're looking for privacy during your stay, please let us know and we will make ourselves as scarce as possible.
We have some great tips for sightseeing and hiking in the area and would be delighted to share them with you. We regularly enjoy tea in the sunroom or drinks around the fire in the evenings and it would be a treat for you to join us, if you wish.
Your hosts are both excellent cooks and will gladly discuss menu and costs with you should our schedule allow it during your stay.
Our family includes an overly happy but well-behaved pup and two outdoor-only kitties who may or may not join you on the deck, depending on their moods.
____________________________________________________________________________ The NeighborhoodThe property is secluded and private, yet close to all amenities. The acreage backs onto a train-track walking trail that will take you to sandy Mason's Beach, a pub, a liquor store and a convenience store in less than 7 minutes. Another short stroll will bring you to Shawnigan Village, where you'll find a quaint bakery, coffee shop and several restaurants, ranging from fine dining to Subway. Another small jaunt along the trail will bring you to the Government Wharf where you can enjoy a swim at the beach or arrange for a kayak or wakeboard lesson.
Countless other restaurants, a grocery store, several provincial parks and beaches, and many wineries can be accessed by a bike or car in less than 15 minutes.
The home is just over 35 minutes from the city of Victoria and is a great place to overnight on your way up island to Tofino or beyond. It's also a lovely place to just kick back and enjoy a relaxing weekend.
____________________________________________________________________________ Getting AroundWalking and bicycles are a great way of exploring the surrounding area. The town provides reliable but infrequent local bus service as well. Taxi service does exist, but this is a small town and long waits aren't unheard of.
Greyound and IslandLink provide service to the Northern and Southern parts of the island. Please note that Victoria/North Island services are fairly limited with their trips and pre-booking is necessary. We're happy to help with trip planning if requested.
Shawnigan Lake is a very short trip to the Mill Bay ferry, and less than an hour drive to both the Departure Bay and Swartz Bay ferry terminals.
Parking for up to eight vehicles is available on the property.
____________________________________________________________________________ Other Things to NoteMore than 8 guests?
If you require further sleeping space, we can provide the following at $40 per guest per night, up to 16 guests total:
- The Art Studio, located upstairs, has a gorgeous view and sitting area, including a tolerably comfortable queen-sized pull-out couch and/or a deluxe double high queen aerobed. The room is quite large and could easily accommodate an extra cot or two for up to a total of 6 guests.
- The Sunroom daybed can easily be set up to accommodate an extra sleeper. While this rustic room isn't insulated, privacy curtains and the ridiculously plush, warm bedding with heated blanket make it possible to sleep here year round. This bed has been known to cozily accommodate two and has received rave reviews, but as it's slightly smaller than a double, we recommend double-occupancy to snuggle-lovers only.
- A 1970's high-top sleeper van, lovingly referred to as the Hippie Suite, is available for one or two extra guests. With 6'5" ceilings, an electric pump water sink, heater, curtains and a double bed, this newly-renovated little room on wheels is more comfortable than you could imagine. We park this little home away from home so guests can easily access the house for late-night bathroom trips.
- The Portable Room is a 2009 utility trailer converted into a bedroom. Complete with wood-lined walls, heater, lighting, artwork and a queen deluxe aerobed, this has been referred to as luxury camping at its finest! In the warmer months, the double back doors open for a beautiful view of the trees and sky. This little haven is placed close to the house for easy bathroom access as well.
- At times when extra indoor sleeping space has been needed, the laundry room has also served as a private bedroom and fits up to a queen mattress. The arrangement is comfy, but not lavish, so we only recommend this space as a last resort for sleepers who prefer privacy over luxury.
- Camping for up to 5 large tents close to the house. With plenty of warm weather from as early as March to as late as November, our 1,500sf fenced sandy area is a lovely place to sleep under the stars.
Celebrating a Special Occasion?
Looking for a fun mini-vacation with friends for a birthday or bachelorette? Let us know and we'll get you all set up with what you need for an unforgettable party, whether it be a relaxing spa-style weekend with the girls or a three-day birthday bash complete with kegs and an outdoor sound system. Chat with us about options and pricing.
If you're not using the Studio for a sleeping area, it's a lovely room to set up as a games area, relaxation room, or what-have-you if you'd like some extra common space. For access to The Art Studio as a common space only, the costs start at $30/night. We can provide access to arts supplies, card tables, chairs and games...or even decorate for you! Let us know what you have in mind.
Want a weekend outdoors? Let us set up an outdoor activities area for you with your favourite summer time games. Or how about a backyard cookout? We can get the BBQ fired up and provide everything you need! We can even make your bonfire experience extra special with a s'mores basket!
We can provide one 8-man tent with one double air-mattress, and two sleeping bags and pillows for $40 for your entire stay. Tent only with BYO mattress and bedding is $30. Smaller tent options are also available.
A large laundry room with washer and dryer access is available if required. Soap and everything you need is included at $5 a load.
Your hosts are great cooks! We can cater your entire stay for you...or one meal! We can provide a breakfast bar, gourmet lunch appy trays or even a full three course meal! Need a surprise birthday cake? A round (or 3) of a customized signature cocktails? The options are endless. We're also well-versed in dietary restrictions, so don't hesitate to ask!