The SpaceSituated about 1.5 hours from New York City, you can easily reach our cozy beach cottage by train or car. By train: take the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) to Mastic-Shirley (followed by a quick 1 mile cab ride); by car the house is accessible via the Long Island Expressway (LIE; exit 68) and Sunrise Highway.
Fire Island and Ocean beaches can be accessed by foot, bike, or car by crossing over the nearby Smith Point Bridge. We recommend taking a car, taxi or bike as our house is located about 4 miles from Smith Point beach (also called Smith Point County Park).
The house is located between Forge River and the famous Mastic Seafood, and a 25-minute drive will bring you to Long Island wine country (in the North Fork) or the Hamptons.
Two guest rooms are available for weekday rental for up to four (4) adult guests in a tastefully furnished house with a large backyard. Occasionally a weekend may be available - check the calendar for availability. Note that we prefer to rent to adults only.
- Beautiful, cozy kitchen that’s great for cooking, complete with dishwasher and all necessary utensils for cooking
- Outdoor gas BBQ (tools are available)
- Outdoor dining table
- Recently remodeled outdoor deck with loungy seating
- Large grassy fenced-in yard shaded by mature oak trees and landscaped grounds
- Hammock (weather permitting)
- Outdoor shower (great for washing sand off after the beach)
- 4 bikes available for guest use
- 2 canoes available for use (let us know if you plan to use so we can provide guidance)
- Full indoor bathroom
- Comfortable living room with Restoration Hardware sofa, chair and SmartTV (built in Netflix, Hulu, HBO; there is no cable).
- Indoor dining with large farm table
- Clean bed & bath linens included
- Soap and shampoo included
- Free wi-fi throughout the house
- Parking available in driveway
- Quiet and peaceful neighborhood
- Parking in driveway
GUEST ROOM CONFIGURATION:
- South Room: 1 Full Size Bed (sleeps 2)
- North Room: 1 Queen Size Bed (sleeps 2)
** Note: We will only consider parties of 1-4 adults; no photo shoots, filming, or events
* We recommend that you print out our guidebook - there are tons of great restaurants, grocery stores, beer store, wineries and sightseeing recommencations.
- Smith Point Beach: features miles of pristine undeveloped and protected oceanfront shoreline on Fire Island National Seashore with white sand beach ideal for swimming, surfing, fishing, and hiking along the Otis Pike High Dunes nature trail.
- Southaven County Park: features 1,356 acres of hiking trails, mountain biking, picnicking, freshwater fishing, rowboat & kayaking, and horseback riding.
- Wertheim Wildlife Refuge: estuary consisting of aquatic habitats and pine barren habitats for wildlife viewing of over 300 species of birds and winter home to over 5,000 waterfowl.
- Manor of St. George Museum: Homestead of William “Tangier” Smith granted by patent in 1693 by Governor Fletcher of New York. The manor house functions as a museum displaying furnishings and paintings dating back to the early 1700’s and a family burial site.
- Floyd Estate Museum: Homestead of eight generations of the Floyd family including William Floyd, signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Estate features a 25-room manor house built in 1718 and has over 35 acres of protected forests, fields, marshes, trails, and a family burial site.
- Long Island Wineries (in the North Fork)
- Antique Shopping: Barntique Village
- Splish Splash Water Park (opening day is typically in late May)
- Atlantis Aquarium
- Mastic Seafood
- Suffolk county beaches, amusement parks, wineries, parks, aquariums, historic sites, zoos, lighthouses
- The Hamptons (Westhampton, Southampton, Easthampton) shopping, dining, golfing all accessible by car or taxi (25-50 minutes)
ACCOMMODATION, PRICING & TERMS:
Rates are seasonal and based on occupancy (max occupancy 4) and number of rooms being used. Guests staying longer than 4 nights must agree to allow owners access to house for maintenance and checking on the house's overall condition. Owners will notify guests of their visit 12+ hours in advance.
HOUSE RULES - IMPORTANT
1) No pets allowed inside or out.
2) No smoking. If you smoke, please do so outside away from any open windows, and dispose of finished cigarettes.
3) NO SHOES inside the house, ever (please leave your shoes in the front entryway).
4) Don't drag dirt into the house if you happen to be barefoot in the yard.
5) Do not flush anything other than toilet paper in the toilet. The pipes in Long Island are not as big as in New York city! In fact, it's best to flush twice when doing a #2.
6) Please turn A/C off when you leave the house; turn off A/C unit behind the kitchen at night time (note: okay to leave living room fans on).
7) If you use the BBQ, make sure to turn the valves on the gas tank off, after turning the actual BBQ off. After the BBQ cools down, put the cover back on. BBQ tools are located on the back shelf in the laundry area, inside a black case.
8) Parties are not allowed. Respect our neighbors by lowering loud music after 11pm.
9) Keep the property and all furnishings in good order and treat the home with the utmost respect, leaving the house clean upon your departure.
10) Do not use the laundry machine (washer and dryer). If there's an emergency and you need to use it please call and ask us first. There are specific settings that should be used.
11) There is no daily housekeeping service. While clean linens and bath towels are included, daily maid service is not included in the rental. Do not remove towels or linens from the home.
12) There is no breakfast, food or drinks provided with your rental (only free coffee). Please do not eat or drink any of our food. If we find something that has been consumed, we will take it out of your deposit. You are welcome to use our water/Brita filter in the refrigerator - feel free to refill water from the kitchen sink as needed. There will be some room in the refrigerator/freezer for you to store food/drink. Just ask if you need more space.
13) If it's going to rain, we ask that you bring all cushions and hammock to the shed, and ensure the 2 skylights in the living room are closed (the stick is in the coat closet near the front door).
14) Keep both yard gates closed at all times.
15) Do not disturb or pick from our veggie garden and fruit trees.
16) Try not move furniture inside the house; if you do ensure that all furniture (chairs) are placed back where you found them.
17) No refunds will be given for storms unless cancellation fall within stated cancellation policy.
* To print out the full guidebook, click here:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/497714/guidebook Guest Access- Guests have access to 4 bikes, BBQ, outdoor decks and seating, outdoor shower.
- Note that sprinklers go on daily at 3am (all zones) and 12:30pm (vegetable garden only). Please do not disturb the vegetable garden and the landscaping of the house - we work hard to make the yard look great.
- In the shed, please do not move anything besides the cushions, hammock and bikes. Interaction with GuestsNo in-person interaction most likely, but we're available by email or text (or phone call) if you need anything. The NeighborhoodOur neighborhood is peaceful and quiet, and we've worked hard to ensure our house and yard offer maximum privacy. Getting AroundWe recommend using a taxi or bike to get around if you do not have a car. Public transit options around town are sub-par. Other Things to NoteAdults only, no children.