The SpaceOUR HOUSE
Our house is a charming 1960's semi-detached, one of many originally built for the Royal Australian Air Force back when our area, Vale of Tempe (now known as Lembah Permai) as well as a large part of Hillside was practically an RAAF housing base. With the green hills forming a picturesque backdrop to our neighbourhood, and the main road being a few hundred metres away, ours is an ideal stay for those seeking a break during their extended travels, in a simple cozy family home. The spacious grass lawn is perfect for laying out a mat for an idyllic siesta, or to read a book under the shady trees.
Your room is a cozy ensuite bedroom, unconnected to the main part of the house. This room in the back of the house with its own entrance and bathroom, was common during the colonial days, and back then, was meant for the driver or house servants.
Room comes with a comfortable queen-sized bed. The room is equipped with a ceiling fan, but worry not, as unlike in town or elsewhere on the island, our area is comparatively cooler at night. With windows running almost the length of the wall, the room is well-lit, and with the windows open and the ceiling fan on, is well-ventilated too. There is a thermometer on the wall in case you just need to know the room temperature (mostly between 27-29°C)!
There is a writing desk, basically a vintage school desk, and together with a much sought after vintage iron chair, make up a space to write or to use your laptop.
Due to its size and layout, the room fits a maximum of 2 persons. Strictly.
Bathroom is very basic but very clean and presentable. It comes with a squatting toilet (which might be tough for some) and unheated shower with strong water pressure (on hot sunny days, the water in the early evening gets very warm). No bathroom sink. Soap and shampoo are provided if required.
Each guest will be provided with a towel, blanket and a bottle of filtered drinking water in reused glass wine bottles. Complimentary refills upon request.
WHAT ELSE TO EXPECT
As part of your stay, we will:
-> Pick you from the main bus stop on Jalan Tanjung Bungah upon arrival
-> Prepare breakfast upon request, and at additional charge
-> Quench your thirst and your soul with a selection of teas
-> At a small price, include you at meal times, when we eat in
-> Take you on hikes in the nearby hills, and visit hidden spots
-> Share the use of a bicycle with you
-> Welcome you as family during your stay with us Guest AccessYou will have exclusive access to your room and bathroom, as well as shared access to the lounging area on the porch, or hangout spaces in the garden, as long as our things and plants are taken care of and not damaged by you.
The inside of the house is our private living space.
We may only allow use of the kitchen under exceptional circumstances, as the kitchen is inside the house, and thus the difficulty in predicting how our dogs might react to you coming inside the house when we are not around.
Also free internet wi-fi access on a 4Mb/s connection (use Youtube, Spotify sparingly, Bittorent not allowed). Note that stability of internet connections in Malaysia tend to occasionally fluctuate - it is beyond our control!
Limited use of bicycle in the surrounding areas (please don't ride them to town!). Interaction with GuestsThe house is home to yours truly, my girlfriend Amelleia and our 3 dogs. We will be around often as we mostly work from home. Being a Penang-trained tour guide since 2009, having spent 2 years as a travel consultant as well as tour guide in the pristine rainforests of Brunei (country in Borneo) and having concluded an exciting stint in host acquisition with Airbnb, I love to share tales, provide recommendations and advice on sights and travel plans, feed you or even go for meals and outings together. Like in a friend's home, this will be rather spontaneous though, so please don't come with fixed expectations!
Amelleia tends to be more selective of company, but if she gets along with you, is great to be around too. She loves to experience food from different cultures, and if you can cook, we'd love to enjoy what you can come up with!
Tommy, Siew Ling and May Ling, our 3 dogs will also have a fair share of interaction with you. May Ling takes time to open up to new people, and tends to bully those who fear her, but is fine once she gets used to you. In the event that you get along with them, we still ask that you not let them into your room, due to their dropping hair making cleaning up difficult. The NeighborhoodSituated in the southernmost corner of the leafy suburbs of Tanjung Bungah, on the northern fringes of the rainforests of Penang's hill network, our home is the perfect place to rest and relax, especially for those who are taking a break from all the sightseeing and attractions, or those yearning for a touch of home and family. Just note that idyllic seclusion comes at a price, and going to the store or having a meal can be quite an effort, and getting here by public transport can be quite a task for the uninitiated! Fortunately, we also take the bus regularly, and are able to brief you on how it all works!
There are at least 4 sundry shops within 10 mins walk, a couple of restaurants also within 10 mins walk, and some budget eating options too, between RM3-6 for a meal without drinks. Getting AroundGETTING HERE:
- Bus 102 (approx. 60-90mins frequency) to bus stop 25mins walk from here. 1.5 to 2 hour ride.
- Bus 401 or 401E (approx. 25-50mins frequency) to KOMTAR, then EITHER bus 104 (approx. 45-55mins frequency) to bus stop 4mins walk from here, OR bus 101 (approx. 10-30mins frequency) to bus stop 25mins walk from here. Total 1.5 to 2.5 hour ride.
FROM THE JETTY:
- Bus 101 (approx. 10-30mins frequency) to bus stop 25mins walk from here.
- Free CAT bus (approx. 20-30mins frequency) to KOMTAR, then bus 104 (approx. 45-55 mins frequency) to bus stop 4mins walk from here.
- Bus 104 takes you into town, passing through some residential areas, a different route into town, ending at KOMTAR. 35 - 50 min ride.
- Bus 101 also takes you to town, passing KOMTAR, Chulia Street and ending at the Jetty. In the opposite direction, it takes you to Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang where Escape as well as the National Park entrance are.
Good news is that there is a number to call to enquire on the ETA or location of the next bus, and is generally quite reliable. Let us know when you are here so that we can educate you on how all this works. We are one of the few car-owning locals who actually make an effort to take the bus, even when headed to/from the airport! Also there is an RM30 unlimited bus pass for tourists, valid for 1 week, and available for purchase from nearby hotels.
Useful for getting to nearby sundry shops, or for food, or to the beach, or even into town! We used to occasionally cycle here from our old shop in town, and it takes just 30-40 minutes. In the event you feel you will be cycling a lot, you can always rent a bicycle in town for a mere RM8 a day, and work out a multi-day arrangement. Other Things to NotePLEASE COMPLETE YOUR PROFILE FIRST!
SILA LENGKAPKAN PROFIL ANDA DULU!
Please have a clear photo of yourself uploaded, personal description written and verifications completed, before making a request to book. Do understand that we are letting strangers into our home, and would only be open to hosting them after getting to know them a bit more, and knowing that they were properly verified.
| LOCATION PERFECT FOR RELAXING, NOT CENTRALITY |
Our location is in the outskirts of town, in a rather affluent suburb, halfway between George Town and Penang National Park. It is NOT a central location with short travel times to everything. Please consider our location carefully - it is ideal for those who are looking for the seclusion and don't mind the distances.
Please DO NOT choose us if you want to be near town. We rather not get a booking from you than a low rating for our location!
| HOME STAYS ARE DIFFERENT FROM HOTELS! |
- It is important to note that this is an actual home stay, and NOT a hotel or conventional accommodation business. It is as much about the experience as the need for a comfortable place to stay in, so come with an open mind and the right attitude, remembering that you are staying in someone's home.
| SOUNDS YOU MIGHT HEAR |
Bird and insect noise is high, as we are very close to nature.
Barking dogs are to be heard all around, as we are in a suburban residential area.
You may hear and feel rumbling explosions from time to time - there is a granite quarry that carries out occasionally blasting.
| RESPECT OUR FAITH |
- You will be in a Catholic Christian home, and there will be visible signs of this around the house. You will not be preached to, nor will your differing religion or your not having one ever be an issue here. However, for those who cannot accept this display of religion in a home, or have a need to voice out anti-religious sentiments, this is not the place for you.
| THIS IS AN OLD HOUSE, AND IT SHOWS |
- The house was never heavily renovated and there are signs of age and damage in certain areas, none of which will inconvenience your stay in any way. We cannot do any major renovations as we do not own the house, but will be sprucing up wherever we can, as finances permit.
| WE HAVE 3 DOGS; 1 IS A GUARD DOG |
- If you are allergic to dogs, dislike them, are afraid of them or anxious around them, or know from experience that dogs tend to dislike you, please realise that this is not the stay for you.
| USE OF KITCHEN IS NOT PART OF WHAT YOU ARE PAYING FOR |
- We do not permit the use of the kitchen during your stay, except in special circumstances and upon advance request. However, if you are allowed to use the kitchen, realise that we are allowing you access out of kindness, and would appreciate it if you did not then see it as an entitlement.