The SpaceWelcome to Manyika house! A beautiful colonial farm house set amidst it's own coffee plantation, just 45km from Nairobi. Built in the 1930’s in the traditional English style, this historic homestead was once home to the pioneering aviator and famous horse trainer Beryl Markham. Soak up the history, enjoy your view of Mt. Kenya from the veranda and walk in the mature expansive garden and coffee fields of this beautiful country retreat.
This very spacious and genuine old-style farm house has four bedrooms that share two (URL HIDDEN) large and open living room has several tastefully furnished sitting areas, a high ceiling with original carved beams and a cozy fire place. The dining room with its antique interior invites to a delicious dinner prepared by the chef. The kitchen is fully equipped and you can drink the fresh borehole water straight from the tap!
Manyika also offers a small playground with a trampoline, slides, swings, sandbox and a football pitch. Kids also love our rabbits, dogs, turtles and are welcome to go out in the morning to collect the fresh eggs together with John, our caretaker. If it is a sunny day we can put out our swimming pool for the little ones for some water fun!
Guest sometimes ask us what you can 'do' at Manyika house and we always answer that at Manyika you just want to 'be'. Relax, rejuvenate, enjoy all the flowers and trees while wandering in the garden, read a book on the veranda, play, eat and come to rest. What else would you want?
However, if you do like to move around a bit, John, our gardener gladly takes you on a 1-1.5 hour walk on the coffee plantation. John will tell you about the plants, trees and surroundings while you can enjoy the beautiful and stunning views on the surrounding landscape and, on clear days, mount Kenya! We also have a few mountain bikes available that you are free to use and coffee tours to the nearby coffee factory can be arranged on request. If you stay longer, you are welcome to read books from our big library, including books of and about Beryl Markham, Manyika's former famous owner!
On less than 2 km from the house you'll find the newly developed golf estate Thika Greens where you can book a round in the morning or afternoon and come back to Manyika afterwards for a nice lunch or dinner prepared by our chef Joel.
- only one hour drive from Nairobi
- sleeps a total of 10 in four bedrooms (3 double beds, 4 single beds) plus the possibility of adding 5 extra beds in the rooms or guest cottage. Maximum sleeping capacity in the house and cottage is 15 people.
- 5 acre garden that is perfect for camping!
- service of our cook Joel is included (maximum 10 guests, above 10 guests Joel can still help you but will not be able to do everything by himself)
- few mountain-bikes/child bikes available for free
- nice farm animals like sheep, rabbits, turtles, and chicken
- small play ground with trampoline, swings and slides
- great nature feeling with a lot of bird life and monkeys. Guest AccessYou access the entire house and grounds. Access to the guest cottage is possible for a small additional fee. Interaction with GuestsAs I live in Nairobi I won't be around most of the time except for the occasional weekend, but I will be available for your questions over the mail. Getting AroundManyika house is an eight minute drive from where you leave Thika highway. It is only accessible by private transportation.