The SpaceThis unique home was built in 1969 by Pittsburgh native Joseph Yacoboni, who received a US Patent in 1975 for the construction method. The house was designed to withstand earthquakes and 250 mph hurricanes...not something we here in the 'Burgh normally have to worry about!
• PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE LISTING BEFORE SUBMITTING AN INQUIRY OR A BOOKING REQUEST. Answers to many questions you may have can be found here.
• By reading all of the information we've made available here and by asking in advance any additional questions you may have, you can arrive with realistic and reasonable expectations regarding:
- our House Rules and policies
- the dome itself and the available amenities
- transportation options (we very strongly recommend that guests have a car, as our dome is not in a walkable neighborhood; Uber and Lyft are also viable options).
- proximity to attractions, shopping, dining, and other neighborhoods; the listing's map includes a shaded circle that indicates the general area in which the home is located.
• Please don't book without reading the listing and then leave a negative review based on unrealistic expectations that resulted from your failure to read the listing. Yes, we and other hosts we know have unfortunately hosted a few guests who have done just that... something that any reasonable person understands says far more about those particular guests than it says about the hosts and their listings.
• Feel free to read our reviews and to ask us if you have any questions or concerns regarding a comment made in a prior guest’s review.
• If you and/or others in your traveling party are expecting luxury or a place where everything is shiny, new, and perfect, or if our dome isn't in an area you want to stay in, then please do all parties involved a favor and don't book with us.
• But if you’re looking to stay in a unique and sometimes quirky home that is within the city limits but feels more secluded, our dome may be perfect for you!
• Our dome is NOT located in a posh neighborhood or a sterile/sanitized/homogeneous cookie-cutter development.
• As our dome is a very unique vintage property that contains mostly vintage furnishings, the dome and furnishings do display some age-appropriate wear. We’ve made various updates and improvements over the time we’ve had the dome, and plan to continue doing so as time and finances permit.
• This listing's Airbnb Verified photos reflect the furnishings and decor at the time of the Airbnb photo shoot (August 2013), and the other photos have been taken at various time since then. Please note that furnishings and decor are subject to change at our discretion. The desk (shown in some photos) is no longer in the home, the bed linens have been updated, and various other minor changes have been made. Guest AccessYou'll be staying in one of Pittsburgh's most unique homes. Only 26 Yaca-Domes were ever built; ours was the first one built, and it's also the only Yaca-Dome in this part of the county.
We recently installed new Nest Bedding mattresses and pillows in our dome's 3 bedrooms. Nest Bedding's motto is "Love Where You Sleep" and we do believe that our guests will love these super comfy mattresses and pillows! Nest Bedding's high quality mattresses and pillows are eco-friendly and are made to order by hand right here in the USA.
Love the beds? In each of the bedrooms we have posted a Nest Bedding Promo Code for $$$ off when you order a Nest Bedding mattress for delivery to your own home! The Nest Bedding Discount Code posted in each bedroom corresponds with the specific mattress style in that room: The Alexander Signature Series (King bedroom), The Alexander Hybrid (Queen bedroom), and The Love Bed (Full bedroom).
Features of our dome include:
• WiFi access
• Central heat/AC
• Master Bedroom- King bed with Nest Bedding's Alexander Signature Series mattress in medium firmness, 2 Nest Easy Breather pillows, 2 regular pillows, nightstand with lamp, chest of drawers, dresser with mirror, 2 chairs with a side table and lamp, clock radio, closet, and ceiling fan/light.
• Middle-sized Bedroom- Queen size bed with Nest Bedding's Alexander Signature Hybrid mattress in medium firmness, 2 Nest Easy Breather pillows, 2 regular pillows, 2 bedside tables with lamps, chest of drawers, chair, closet, and ceiling fan/light.
• Smallest Bedroom- Full size bed with Nest Bedding's Love Bed mattress in medium firmness, 2 Nest Easy Breather pillows, 2 regular pillows, side table, narrow chest of drawers, floor lamp, and table fan. There is no closet in this room.
• Bathroom- the dome has 1 bathroom, and it contains a vanity sink, tub/shower combination, Kohler Rialto toilet (low profile), blow dryer, scale, towel rack and towels
• Living room- vintage MCM sofa and matching chair with open wood frames, vintage coffee table and 2 matching end tables, vintage table lamp, floor lamps, overhead light, and a vintage console that holds a TV (it is a "smart TV" however you must use your own account if you want to log into Netflix, Amazon video, or similar services... it is also connected to HBO and Comcast's Digital Economy cable channels, which is a VERY basic package)
• Dining Area- vintage 1960’s Italian tubular metal and glass dining table with 4 matching chairs (wooden chairs are stored in closet for use if you’ve booked for more than 4 guests)
• Kitchen- 5 burner gas range w/ convection oven, side by side fridge, microwave, automatic drip coffeemaker, Bodum French press, tea kettle, toaster, waffle iron, basic cookware, dinnerware, cutlery, other assorted kitchenware, a fresh kitchen sponge, a dish towel, and potholders. Please note that the refrigerator is NOT hooked up to a water line; however, you can buy a bag of ice (or make cubes in the ice trays) and pour it into the bin of the ice maker, which then can be used to dispense cubed or crushed ice thru the door.
• Patio- outdoor dining set with 4 chairs
• If you need another chair or two outside due to having booked for 5 or 6 guests, use the wooden chairs from the closet. Those wooden chairs are the only indoor furniture that you are permitted to take outside, and you are to bring them back inside promptly after each use.
• DO NOT EVER under any circumstances take the metal indoor dining chairs, or any interior furnishings other than the wooden dining chairs, outside!
• Do not rearrange our furniture.
• Iron and ironing board (stored in closet)
• Bed linens- the pictured comforter sets have been replaced with duvets with duvet covers and matching pillow covers. Each bed has 4 pillows; to minimize allergy issues, all pillows and the duvets are free of down or feathers. If additional warmth is needed, there is a blanket for each bed (blankets can be found stored in the closet during warmer months).
• Bath linens- for stays of 4 nights or less, we supply a set of 2 bath towels and 2 washcloths per registered guest; also provided are hand towels and a bath mat. We will provide additional bath linens for longer stays.
• We provide a starter supply of coffee, tea bags, sugar, powdered creamer, salt, pepper, coffee filters, paper towels, trash bags, recycling bags, dish soap, shampoo, body wash, liquid hand soap, and toilet paper.
If your traveling party includes children, infants, and/or individuals with mobility issues, please note:
• the home is not child proofed and there may be cleaning chemicals and other potentially hazardous household items that are not out of reach of children; the booking Guest and other adults in the group are responsible for supervising children at all times
• we do NOT provide cribs, playpens, highchairs, or any other baby gear
• we do not provide toys, games, or other items to keep children entertained
• the home's beds are pretty high; it is the responsibility of the booking Guest to determine prior to booking whether the beds are suitable for the needs of all traveling party members
• there are not grab bars in the bathroom
• the home's toilet (Kohler Rialto) is not an ADA height toilet
Please note that there are some items and areas at the property that guests are not permitted to access as they are reserved for our personal use. Thank you in advance for respecting our privacy, and for ensuring that all traveling party members and invited visitors (including children) also do so. The following areas and items are off limits to guests:
• the outdoor storage shed
• the furnace room
• a small indoor storage room
• the items stored in a few cabinets/drawers/shelves labeled "NOT FOR GUEST USE" that are reserved for our personal use
• anything that is locked
Please be aware that 3 of the home's electrical outlets are controlled by switches. Specific information regarding the location of these switch-controlled outlets, and the switches that control them, can be found in the House Manual (which will be included on the Airbnb itinerary that is generated after you book).
• WE PERMIT A MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY OF 6 PEOPLE (including children and infants, regardless of their proposed sleeping arrangements).
• All individuals who will be on the property for ANY amount of time must be paid for (regardless of their size or age) and are to be accounted for in the total number when you send a booking request.
• We offer our home for use only by the registered guests whose names have been provided to us and who are included in the guest count as shown on the itinerary that Airbnb generates for us once a booking is made.
• For liability reasons, we do not permit any unregistered guests to be on the property.
• No pets are permitted on the property. Our "No pets" policy is NOT negotiable.
• Please respect our right to decide how we allow our home to be used and how many people we feel our home can safely and comfortably accommodate.
Please note that there are no laundry facilities at the dome. The laundromat we recommend to our guests is The Laundry Factory; it is located on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside, and is a 10 minute drive from the dome. The Laundry Factory is open 7 AM to 9:30 PM daily and offers self-serve coin operated washers and dryers, drop-off laundry service ($1.35 per pound) with same day service available to noon Monday through Friday, and dry cleaning services. For guests who will not have a car, we could discuss arrangements for pick up and drop off of laundry for a small additional fee. Interaction with Guests• Before you submit a booking request, please send a message to tell us a bit about yourself, the makeup of your traveling party (including the ages of all guests who will be under 18 years old at the beginning of your stay), and the general purpose of your trip. Like many Airbnb hosts, we prefer to know these things before we consider accepting a booking request for this home, and we're more likely to accept your request if you have a fully completed profile which includes a clear and recognizable photo of you.
• Please note that you will not be able to complete the booking
process until you have verified your ID via Airbnb's Verified ID process.
• Usually it will be Lisa who answers Airbnb messages, meets you at the dome for check in, and serves as the primary contact during your stay.
• You are responsible for contacting us in advance to coordinate a mutually agreeable arrival time.
• We schedule check in times between 4 PM and 8 PM. Depending on the circumstances and our schedules, we may agree to schedule a check in later than 8 PM, but this must be requested BEFORE the booking is made.
• Please keep in mind that we will schedule our other obligations and plans for the day based on the originally agreed-upon arrival time, and plan your travel schedule accordingly.
• Contact us ASAP if you encounter any delays that will cause you to arrive over 45 minutes after your scheduled check in time... while we will make an attempt to accommodate check in at your new projected arrival time, in order to accommodate our other obligations we may need to schedule the new check in time later than you request.
• If your plans change and you arrive in town earlier than the agreed-upon time, due to our other obligations we often won't be available to meet you earlier and/or may not yet have the house ready for you to check in.
• Upon arrival, be prepared to upon request present your unexpired US driver's license (or state-issued ID card, if you don't have a driver's license) or a valid passport, and all other guests 18 years of age or greater must also be prepared to provide the same.
• You can contact us any time for emergencies, and can call or text between 9 AM and 10 PM for non-emergency questions or concerns.
• During your stay, we may occasionally stop by the property to retrieve items from the storage shed, do some yard work, collect trash, etc.
• During your stay, we will enter the home only if we have informed you in advance, if there is an emergency, or if we have reasonable belief that the House Rules or other terms of the booking may have been violated. The NeighborhoodDespite being within the Pittsburgh city limits, the home's location feels more secluded than you might expect. It's in a wooded area, near the end of a quiet lane. There are other homes nearby, but the neighbors are pretty quiet and low-key.
Although our dome is NOT in a walkable neighborhood (and there really isn't anything of interest nearby to walk to), shopping and dining in the East Liberty/Shadyside area and other nearby neighborhoods are just a short drive from the dome and include:
• Bakery Square (ZipCar, TechShop, LA Fitness, Asiatique Thai Bistro, Social (bar), Jimmy John's, Panera, Coffee Tree Roasters, Anthropologie, West Elm, PNC Bank, Marriott Springhill Suites...and the Pittsburgh location of the internet giant whose name airbnb won't let me post, it comes from its' founders misspelling the word "Googol")
• The Fire Side Public House
• Village of Eastside Shopping Center (Trader Joe's, McDonald's, Tuesday Morning, Staples, China Garden Buffet)
• Whole Foods
• Giant Eagle
• A diverse selection of popular Pittsburgh restaurants (BRGR, Casbah, Dinette, Mad Mex, Noodlehead, Paris 66, Plum Pan-Asian Kitchen, Sharp Edge Beer Emporium, Pamela's, Smiling Banana Leaf, Soba, Spoon, Sushi Too, Tana Ethiopian Cuisine, Thai Place, Union Pig and Chicken, and more. Getting AroundBY CAR:
• One of the great things about Pittsburgh is that most places in the city are within a short drive, as the area encompassed within the city limits is less than 60 sq miles.
• From the dome, many other Pittsburgh neighborhoods are within a 10 to 20 minute drive during non-peak travel times.
• Travel during rush hour can unfortunately double your driving time.
BY BUS (not recommended):
• Considering the location of the house in relation to the major bus lines, guests staying here usually prefer to have a vehicle with them, and we also strongly recommend this. We have also had a few guests who came without a car and successfully used Uber or Lyft for all their transportation needs.
• If you are intending to rely primarily or solely on the bus system for transportation during your stay, we would suggest you not book our home.
• Although it's very easy to get from the house to most places in the city by car within a reasonable time, the bus schedules and routes often make it difficult and time consuming to travel from the house to those same places.
• Should you still choose to use the bus system, the nearest bus stop is a 10 minute walk away.
TRAVEL DURING THE WINTER:
• Guests should keep in mind that it is not uncommon for the Pittsburgh area to experience snow accumulation and icy road conditions at various times between November through March.
• While we do our best to ensure that the property's driveway and sidewalk are passable at our guests' scheduled arrival time, the lane leading to the driveway is a public roadway, and we obviously have no control over the city's street plowing schedule... please consider this if you are interested in booking during the winter months.
• We personally haven't had any problems getting in and out during the winter when using a 4WD vehicle, and also so far have been able to get in and out using a front wheel drive vehicle (Toyota Prius), but as they say "YMMV."
The approximate driving distances to some of Pittsburgh's many attractions and world class medical facilities are:
• Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium 2.5 miles
• UPMC St. Margaret Hospital 2.5 miles
• UPMC Shadyside Hospital/UPMC Hillman Cancer Center 3 miles
• UPMC Children's Hospital 3.5 miles
• West Penn Hospital 3.5 miles
• Oakland 4 miles (Pitt, CMU, UPMC Presbyterian Hospital, Western Psych, VA Hospital, Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens)
• Waterworks Mall 4 miles (Waterworks Cinema, Wal-Mart, Old Navy, Barnes & Noble, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Bed Bath & Beyond, Giant Eagle, Burgatory, Thai Place, Eat'n Park, Chili's Grill & Bar, Five Guys Famous Burger & Fries, & more)
• Strip District 5 miles (Heinz History Center, the original Primanti Brothers location, Penn Mac, Wholey's Seafood, Stan's Produce, various restaurants & ethnic markets, great street food...a veritable foodie paradise!
• Fox Chapel Racket Club 5.7 miles
• Fox Chapel Golf Club 6.3 miles
• Shady Side Academy Senior School 6.4 miles
• Downtown/Cultural District 6.5 miles
• The Waterfront 6.5 miles (AMC Loews Theatre, The Improv, Costco, Barnes & Noble, Best Buy, DSW Shoes, Macy's, Men's Wearhouse, Old Navy, Victoria's Secret, Bar Louie, Bravo Cucina Italiana, Dave & Buster's, Mitchell's Fish Market, P.F. Chang's, Rock Bottom Brewery, Yokoso Japanese Steak House, lots of other shopping & restaurants)
• Hill District/Uptown 6.5 miles (Consul Energy Center, UPMC Mercy, Duquesne University)
• David L. Lawrence Convention Center 6.7 miles
• Sandcastle Water Park 7 miles
• Kennywood Park 8 miles (the world famous Thunderbolt & 5 other roller coasters, Potato Patch Fries, & Kiddie Land for the little ones!)
• Oakmont Country Club 8.5 miles
• North Shore/North Side 9 miles (PNC Park, Heinz Field, Rivers Casino, Allegheny General Hospital, Andy Warhol Museum, Carnegie Science Center, National Aviary, Children's Museum, Stage AE)
• Pittsburgh International Airport 27 miles
DAY TRIP IDEAS:
While in Southwestern Pennsylvania, you may want to consider visiting nearby Fayette County to tour:
• Fallingwater (Frank Lloyd Wright's masterpiece)
• Kentuck Knob (another home designed by Frank Lloyd Wright)
• Ohiopyle State Park (waterfalls, white water rafting, kayaking, biking, hiking, picnic area, natural water slide)
• Laurel Caverns (Pennsylvania's largest cave, and the only developed cave in the world having its largest rooms and passages completely in their original state)
• Fort Necessity National Battlefield (site of George Washington's only military surrender, which occurred during one of the earliest battles of the French & Indian War)
• Jumonville Glen (another French & Indian War site) Other Things to NoteTo avoid misunderstandings and disappointment RE: pricing, please note that:
• our posted nightly rates vary (see calendar for nightly pricing, and keep in mind that those amounts are the base rates for up to 2 guests)
• if your traveling party includes more 2 people, there will be an additional nightly charge for each extra guest (including infants and children, regardless of age, size, or proposed sleeping arrangements)
• rates can be seen when you enter your dates and the number of guests in your traveling party
• if the date range entered qualifies for the weekly discount (7+ nights) or monthly discount (28+ nights), that discount is already been taken into account in the total quoted by the Airbnb system
• the quoted total will also include a cleaning fee and the Airbnb service fee
If you have any questions about the rate displayed once you have entered the dates and the correct number of guests, contact us for clarification BEFORE you submit a booking request. Also, please do not submit a booking request unless your travel dates are firm and not subject to change. Once we have accepted a booking request, the only pricing adjustments or alterations that we will consider making will be requests to add nights or to include additional guests who weren't part of the original booking.
For the safety and security of the property, we reserve the right to install and utilize exterior security cameras to monitor the property. There will NOT be any security cameras operating inside the home during a guest's booking.